Page 211 of 212 FirstFirst ... 111161201207208209210211212 LastLast
Results 3,151 to 3,165 of 3173
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Yeah. After Dark Beast tampers with it and says he knew it would happen but whatever.
    I'm more pissed that the X-Men used the flimsy excuse of "choosing your child's genetics" rather than calling it genocide and that medical science should be used to cure diseases and not destroy a race, but hey, who wants a nuanced discussion about if we should suppress the x-gene if it causes things like breast cancer to develop later in life (Firestar) when you can have bullshit?

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    Hickman's tweet suggests there may be a copy of HoX/PoX to read at SDCC.

Marvel's done this before, right?
    Usually they are doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    Hickman's tweet suggests there may be a copy of HoX/PoX to read at SDCC.

Marvel's done this before, right?
    Yeah, someone ask a question on the panel and then they let the person read the book

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    I'm more pissed that the X-Men used the flimsy excuse of "choosing your child's genetics" rather than calling it genocide and that medical science should be used to cure diseases and not destroy a race, but hey, who wants a nuanced discussion about if we should suppress the x-gene if it causes things like breast cancer to develop later in life (Firestar) when you can have bullshit?
    Its not genocide and I personally dont think there's anything inherently wrong with the vaccine. The weaponization of it and use of it without extensive testing is the problem not the fact that it exists

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    Usually they are doing so.
    Seems risky because if it's read at panel, then everything will be leaked online before actual release.

Personally I wouldn't mind, as I like spoilers beforehand. But for Marvel & Hickman, it's a risky move.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    Seems risky because if it's read at panel, then everything will be leaked online before actual release.

Personally I wouldn't mind, as I like spoilers beforehand. But for Marvel & Hickman, it's a risky move.
    I doubt that they will be able to reveal new books line up without HOX POX spoilers. I think there will be a lot of huge spoilers at comic con.

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    I doubt that they will be able to reveal new books line up without HOX POX spoilers. I think there will be a lot of huge spoilers at comic con.
    Same. I don't think they are going to to tip their hand before SDCC. They recognize how readers are clamoring for info so the build-up is part of their plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Its not genocide and I personally dont think there's anything inherently wrong with the vaccine. The weaponization of it and use of it without extensive testing is the problem not the fact that it exists
    I disagree. During Whedon's Astonishing run, Logan compares Dr. Rao's mutant cure to a cure for being gay. It's the fact that the cure exists that is the issue, because it reflects the idea that mutantism is something that should need a cure. That same school of thought is used in Pray Away the Gay camps in the US: making people loathe themselves so much that they try whatever it takes to make what makes them different go away. That concept is horrifyingly awful.

careful folks the mutant allegory might fall apart under in-universe scrutiny again
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    I disagree. During Whedon's Astonishing run, Logan compares Dr. Rao's mutant cure to a cure for being gay. It's the fact that the cure exists that is the issue, because it reflects the idea that mutantism is something that should need a cure. That same school of thought is used in Pray Away the Gay camps in the US: making people loathe themselves so much that they try whatever it takes to make what makes them different go away. That concept is horrifyingly awful.
    Its not the same thing as being gay and I dont like the analogy bc mutations are potentially dangerous in a way that simply being gay is not. Mutations are completely random and not everyone gets a cool power like Kitty Pryde that doesnt impede their life. There are mutants that become horrific and others that can no longer lead a normal life simply bc they got the bad end of the life stick. If someone wants to choose to take something to prevent their mutation from forming, then I really dont see the problem with that. Its the government forcing it which I have trouble with. I see it more like a person that elects to have plastic surgery to change the the phenotype that their genes have given them. What is wrong with a person choosing to change themselves if it makes them happy?

Thats where the proper testing that wasnt done comes into play. The vaccine should be made so that it suppresses the X-gene but if a person wants it activated, then they should be allowed to take an anti-vaccine to undo it. Honestly if I was a parent in the MU, I would give my child that without hesitation and give him/her the choice to undo it when they become of age, knowing all the risks that that decision might have.
    Last edited by Havok83; 07-09-2019 at 02:12 PM.

Its not the same thing as being gay and I dont like the analogy bc mutations are potentially dangerous in a way that simply being gay is not. Mutations are completely random and not everyone gets a cool power like Kitty Pryde that doesnt impede their life. There are mutants that become horrific and others that can no longer lead a normal life simply bc they got the bad end of the life stick. If someone wants to choose to take something to prevent their mutation from forming, then I really dont see the problem with that. Its the government forcing it which I have trouble with. I see it more like a person that elects to have plastic surgery to change the the phenotype that their genes have given them. What is wrong with a person choosing to change themselves if it makes them happy?

Thats where the proper testing that wasnt done comes into play. The vaccine should be made so that it suppresses the X-gene but if a person wants it activated, then they should be allowed to take an anti-vaccine to undo it. Honestly if I was a parent in the MU, I would give my child that without hesitation and give him/her the choice to undo it when they become of age, knowing all the risks that that decision might have.
    You made this entire topic very uncomfortable, thank you for taking something from the 60s and using to make something in 2019 very weird.

/s

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Its the government forcing it which I have trouble with. I see it more like a person that elects to have plastic surgery to change the the phenotype that their genes have given them. What is wrong with a person choosing to change themselves if it makes them happy?
    I agree with you on most parts. I think the issue I have is that you have parents making decisions for their child without proper consent because at this point you're a child/teenager before your mutation becomes active. I view it almost as a child being born intersex and a parent making a decision on which type of child they want, not understanding the potential risks or mental health issues down the line rather than having conversation when they are older. So it's not the child making a decision it's their guardian/parent and in many cases they are not looking out for the best interest or wellbeing as the kid might not care. And we don't even know when mutations arise anymore at this point. Are they still at puberty or just randomly present?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    I agree with you on most parts. I think the issue I have is that you have parents making decisions for their child without proper consent because at this point you're a child/teenager before your mutation becomes active. I view it almost as a child being born intersex and a parent making a decision on which type of child they want, not understanding the potential risks or mental health issues down the line rather than having conversation when they are older. So it's not the child making a decision it's their guardian/parent and in many cases they are not looking out for the best interest or wellbeing as the kid might not care. And we don't even know when mutations arise anymore at this point. Are they still at puberty or just randomly present?
    Biggest problem with the analogy is that being intersex isn't exactly the same as being born with uncontrollable murder beams coming out of your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    I dont think there's stats but by and large its a puberty with a few at birth, some as children and others never

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    You made this entire topic very uncomfortable, thank you for taking something from the 60s and using to make something in 2019 very weird.

/s
    Um, okay, I guess????

Mighty Member

I honestly wonder how much death in the mutant community is caused by the mutations rather than the mutant extinction plots. Seriously, a hemophiliac who is always producing cartilaginous protrusions is probably going to have a shorter life expectancy than Wolverine or Marrow. Or a mutant who has powers similar to the Human Torch but no immunity to fire would probably be instantly dead the moment the x-gene kicked in. Or the mutant who can produce force fields but can't control their intensity and shut them off and ends up suffocating to death.