Page 43 of 212 FirstFirst ... 333940414243444546475393143 ... LastLast

X-Men Blue was at it's most interesting when the O5 disappeared off into space and the title shifted to focus on their replacement team during Mothervine

Blue was at its most interesting when it wasn't getting its ass eaten by editorial.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    X-Men Blue was at it's most interesting when the O5 disappeared off into space and the title shifted to focus on their replacement team during Mothervine
    Yeah, whenever the O5 were there Bunn's run was very vapid and nostalgia-driven too. And the Maddie arc is down there with some of Guggenheim's worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant X View Post
    X-men Gold was pure nostalgia of CC original run.
    And it's one of the worst x-titles EVER.
    You read it thinking:
    - Hey, look, it's CC team.
    - Hey, it's a CC soap opera plot.
    - Hey, it's that obscure supporting character we haven't see since 1988.
    - Hey, it's all a pale version of CC work, because Guggenheim is a terrible writer and could never repeat Claremont's masterpiece work. Actually, not even CC could do this. It was a product of its time, and every attempt to repeat it would be frustrating.
    ^this^

It is definitely one of the worst runs ever..if not the worst..

And it is absolutely a product of it's time..it worked back then, it doesn't work now..not only can it not be repeated, it shouldn't be...times have changed, time to stop living in the past and move on

And by move on I mean modern looking books with new modern stories, modern costumes... not nostalgia, not rehashed ideas, not underwear and pirate boots..

I do not mean changing characters at their core..I do not mean mash ups..(doesn't matter if you say their children of characters, when you take multiple powers from already existing characters and give them to one character they're still mash ups)..I do not mean alternate realities, etc..I do not mean what seems to pass for creativity at the X-office these days

Quote Originally Posted by ColossusFan View Post
    And by move on I mean modern looking books with new modern stories, modern costumes... not nostalgia, not rehashed ideas, not underwear and pirate boots..

I do not mean changing characters at their core..I do not mean mash ups..(doesn't matter if you say their children of characters, when you take multiple powers from already existing characters and give them to one character they're still mash ups)..I do not mean alternate realities, etc..I do not mean what seems to pass for creativity at the X-office these days
    Well now you're just asking for the impossible!

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    Cyclops is my all time favorite character and I agree with this. I was never a big tyke fan, but i did enjoy the team led by Lorna

Quote Originally Posted by ColossusFan View Post
    ^this^

It is definitely one of the worst runs ever..if not the worst..

And it is absolutely a product of it's time..it worked back then, it doesn't work now..not only can it not be repeated, it shouldn't be...times have changed, time to stop living in the past and move on
    I thought it was an all right run, I didn't hate it as much as most, but it's by no means a great run despite the good team. For me, almost nothing is worse than extraordinary x-men

I think a majority of people are in agreement that Marvel's obsession with nostalgia has been bad. I say this from a mix of outright remarks here, and what I've seen of people on social media more eager to discuss and create new ways to go rather than repeating "the glory days."

For my view, I think certain things need to be revisited, but they're not the things Marvel wants to obsess over. There's a lot of time in Polaris' character history where she was treated poorly, and I think those are things that need to be rectified. Main argument for that being I think Marvel needs that work in order to stop defining her by awful past depictions and use her properly going forward. I'm sure other characters have similarly suffered, and those are the cases that need revisiting. Not redoing the most famous events with a different coat of paint splattered over them. Just replaying the old hits only makes Marvel look like they're dated and incapable of good new work.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Polaris is the key to save the X-Men franchise from Nostalgia. Because there's nothing to be nostalgic about her. It almost makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Polaris is the key to save the X-Men franchise from Nostalgia. Because there's nothing to be nostalgic about her. It almost makes sense.
    X-Office: If you're saying we play favorites, well... you're right. But! We at least love all our classic X-Men equally!

*Earlier that day*

X-Office: We don't care for Lorna...

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    X-Office: If you're saying we play favorites, well... you're right. But! We at least love all our classic X-Men equally!

*Earlier that day*

X-Office: We don't care for Lorna...
    I was using my personal experience and POV as a Lorna fan for a larger point here. I spoke from what I know.

I'm not keen on using some random other character whose history I don't know nearly as well, when I have all I need with what I've observed from what I'm a fan of.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

say what you will about Red but that lineup was the perfect way to move forward. Iconic character in role as new leader with a cast making up a good mix of classic characters, the younger generation and newer ones
    Last edited by Havok83; 04-01-2019 at 03:28 PM.

Omega Level Member WhitePhoenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    say what you will about Red but that lineup was the perfect way to move forward. Iconic character in role new leader with a cast making up a good mix of classic characters, the younger generation and newer ones
    Amen!! At first I was upset when I saw the lineup. But the book and team was AMAZING! I really hope Trinary doesn’t fade into limbo.

Isn't Polaris in a television series though?
    Last edited by sungila; 04-06-2019 at 04:32 PM.
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”
    ― Miguel de Cervantes Don Quixote