Page 44 of 212 FirstFirst ... 344041424344454647485494144 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    say what you will about Red but that lineup was the perfect way to move forward. Iconic character in role as new leader with a cast making up a good mix of classic characters, the younger generation and newer ones
    I think this is a good approach too. It's pretty much what I advocated while talking to someone on Twitter last night, and I think it would've worked for All-New X-Factor if 1) everything had started off with ANXF #7, 2) Marvel had given it actual support, and 3) various things needed (bigger part of Axis, Wanda for more than 1 issue, etc) had played out.

Marvel tends to rely on its "big names" for the simple reason that it's name recognition, which has its pros and cons, but there are a lot of underused characters that could generate a lot more interest in reading if they were active. I hadn't cared much about Marvel til I discovered Lorna in 2009 (no help from Marvel; I stumbled on her myself), at which point I went out and bought tons of stuff just cause she was in it. I'm certain the exact same situation applies for many other underused characters.

I also feel writers way too often create brand new characters that are just going to be abandoned after they're gone in cases where using an existing underused character would be the better option. Of course new characters are worthwhile, but they shouldn't be as common (and then commonly abandoned) as currently handled. But that's a whole other topic for another time when I feel up for making it.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

BANNED

Nostalgia could & should be fine, as long as it's used for inspiration only. It's when it's allowed to eXert total or even just too much influence, that it becomes a detriment.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    X-Men Blue was at it's most interesting when the O5 disappeared off into space and the title shifted to focus on their replacement team during Mothervine
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmst17 View Post
    Cyclops is my all time favorite character and I agree with this. I was never a big tyke fan, but i did enjoy the team led by Lorna
    Agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Polaris is the key to save the X-Men franchise from Nostalgia. Because there's nothing to be nostalgic about her. It almost makes sense.
    Don't agree, but do believe her best days could be yet to come.

As was stated before, it was a weak and ineffective *attempt* at nostalgia. There was nothing really nostalgic about Blue and Gold other than the name. I actually still do want comics to be written like they were in the 80's and 90's.

Quote Originally Posted by uebersoldat View Post
    As was stated before, it was a weak and ineffective *attempt* at nostalgia. There was nothing really nostalgic about Blue and Gold other than the name. I actually still do want comics to be written like they were in the 80's and 90's.
    Gold was straight 80s nostalgia with a little 90s mixed in..the line up, costumes(complete with underwear and pirate boots), Kitty and Colossus..the first three arcs: Brotherhood, Sentinels, X-cutioner..then Omega Red shows up looking exactly like he did, yep you guessed it, exactly like he did 20 something years ago...and on and on and on..Guggenheim wasn't even trying to hide it, basically saying as much throughout his run. Consistently talking about the Claremont era and trying to recapture that, spewing quotes like "going backward to move forward"

Blue is a different thing but Gold was nostalgia through and through..to the point that it's not even debatable

You may think it was poor attempt..but it's still nostalgia
    Last edited by ColossusFan; 04-02-2019 at 09:58 AM.

BANNED

Feels like we’re goin from one AU to another AU. The fact that it’s a miniseries means there’s another reboot at the end to the regular 616 Canon.

If HoX/PoX means full-blown reboot, it's really not going to pan out the way the X office thinks it will for them. That's a big if though.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Retcon View Post
    Feels like we’re goin from one AU to another AU. The fact that it’s a miniseries means there’s another reboot at the end to the regular 616 Canon.
    Frankly, I am sick of alternate reality and reboots. That's why I didn't read any of the Age of X-books.

Hopefully, this will have a lasting effect like CC's run. What we need is something like Rogue/Gambit wedding, birth of X-babies from X-Men etc.

So many stories in the past after CC were ignored and thrown into rubbish bin.

BANNED

All I can say is this is gonna be an interesting year. Everyone is back from the Dead. The Roster is at its strongest. All the writers have to do is make sense of it all because they have all the Important players back on the Board

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Retcon View Post
    All I can say is this is gonna be an interesting year. Everyone is back from the Dead. The Roster is at its strongest. All the writers have to do is make sense of it all because they have all the Important players back on the Board
    Cyclops approves.
    Screenshot_20190407-190420.jpg

P
    Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post
    Nostalgia could & should be fine, as long as it's used for inspiration only. It's when it's allowed to eXert total or even just too much influence, that it becomes a detriment.
    True.

Why do people think that current editors and writers, shouldn’t explore the stories or concepts of the past ?
    Why shouldn’t KT have a rogue and gambit romp?

What if Hickman wants to tell a Phoenix story? Or visit the DoFP timeline?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    What if Hickman wants to tell a Phoenix story? Or visit the DoFP timeline?
    LOL He actually should NOT do that, please.

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    If HoX/PoX means full-blown reboot, it's really not going to pan out the way the X office thinks it will for them. That's a big if though.
    They wouldn’t only completely reboot one corner of the Marvel Universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant X View Post
    X-men Gold was pure nostalgia of CC original run.
    And it's one of the worst x-titles EVER.
    You read it thinking:
    - Hey, look, it's CC team.
    - Hey, it's a CC soap opera plot.
    - Hey, it's that obscure supporting character we haven't see since 1988.
    - Hey, it's all a pale version of CC work, because Guggenheim is a terrible writer and could never repeat Claremont's masterpiece work. Actually, not even CC could do this. It was a product of its time, and every attempt to repeat it would be frustrating.
    agreed, gold was written terribly, nostalgia can't make up for the lack of talent on the writer part.
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    They wouldn’t only completely reboot one corner of the Marvel Universe.
    They did kinda reboot Spider-Man