Page 53 of 212 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763103153 ... LastLast
    The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Just because Coates played Monster Reborn to bring Selene back from the graveyard doesn't mean he'll be good on the X-Men.

Jason Aaron is doing a better job with Cap and BP than Coates.

As for Regenesis, I recall it had a lot of books because Cyke and Wolvie each got two family books (UXM and XM for Scott and XML and WXM for Logan) plus whoever was in charge was like "NO! Don't cancel muh babies!" so all the side-b*tch books like New Mutants and X-Factor stuck around.

(plus Remender was killing on Uncanny X-Force)
    Last edited by Triniking1234; 04-11-2019 at 05:22 AM.
    "Cable was right!"

Give Coates some text backups so he can write his dissertation on X-Men without wasting any art talent or having to pretend to tell stories.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

LOL @ Ta-Nehisi Coates being considered "A mediocre writer."

My guy got to work with absolute unit Daniel Acuña and had him do an issue that was just a silent spaceship battle, and then an issue that was just a silent fight scene, and then at the end of that issue there is a huge exposition dump explaining what's happening and the lore behind space Wakanda, because there was simply no room for it in the actual book. Meanwhile, Jason is doing what Hickman did and writing a great BP book within a Vengies run.

Meanwhile again in Captain America, the worst eras of Brubaker's run strike back with a vengeance as characters engage in pointless fights to extend the already too decompressed arcs even further while the organization Nick Spencer spent like 40+ issues building up as an actual threat to the MU with purpose immediately becomes babbling incompetents again by jobbing to the OC fanfic mastermind waifu and her Claremont reference sidekick, while also jobbing to our very own Rosenberg's Punisher.

I do want Coates on an X-Book, to see the board descend into madness (like the Black Panther thread) as all semblance of personality is sucked out with a straw and some of their favs become wallpaper for caption boxes of themes.

I am fond of his first year of Panther, though. Clunky as it may be. The bulk of his writing is also not fiction, so maybe for that stuff he's a great writer. And his continuity is solid. And his Cap characterization is good. And he has interesting things to say.
    Last edited by Snoop Dogg; 04-11-2019 at 06:25 AM.

BANNED

Coates should write a non-fiction book on the X-Men and the X-Office should treat it as a manifesto.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    I didn't mention that in my post. I just think his co-workers are doing better jobs with the characters he's assigned to.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    I didn't mention that in my post. I just think his co-workers are doing better jobs with the characters he's assigned to.
    Jason Aaron is one of the best marvel writers, him writing better than Coates isn't a bad thing at all for Coates

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    Regenesis had eight team books and all of them had healthy sales. I'd love to go back to that with Hickman writing two flagship books and the other six handed out to up and coming writers. It would also allow a large amount of characters to be spotlighted (preferably with new dynamics). I don't care at all for the focus on solo books over the past few years (and neither do many other readers, according to sales numbers).
    Quote Originally Posted by King_Thor13 View Post
    I'm all for variety. And obviously more titles would mean more X-Men in use. We'll see what happens. Hickman having two ongoings to play with and then other books being divvied up between other creative teams sounds like a good way to appeal to different audiences and ensure there's variety and diversity in X-content. With all the current X-Books bar Uncanny finishing up, we're approaching another clean slate, and too opportunity for fresh new things. We've seen some very interesting things in play across books like X-Men Red, Prisoner X, X-Tremists etc. and now's as good a time as any to have fun with it and deliver some solid content.

I'd have to agree on solo books. It's a lot harder to maintain these days unless if the characters are A-List, and at this point it honestly seems like the only character that can hold consistent sales is Logan, who I'm sure is assured a new solo ongoing by years end. Team Books are able to gather a bunch of faves in one place, and of course one of the selling points of the X-Men is their team dynamic and shared history.
    That would be great to have Hickman on two books after HOX & POX finish up. And then have a few more titles with different directions so we can explore more characters and concepts. Not too bloated, but spread the popular characters around so we can develop more connections.
    My debut novel Awakening - Book One of The Children of the Solstice Series: http://amzn.to/2xAbyid

"If you like sci-fi and the "everyday" superhero, this book is for you."

The second book Collision is out now: https://amzn.to/2FzkH1W

"The Children of the Solstice are Back!"

Total Geek Live is group effort by 4 Geeks giving you all the latest in geek news: https://bit.ly/2YoYrir

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Jason Aaron is one of the best marvel writers, him writing better than Coates isn't a bad thing at all for Coates
    I start my mornings by writing complaints with Rosenberg's work on a whiteboard, but Rosenberg is a much better scripter and plotter than Coates and puts out stronger stuff even if his themes are more muddled. I have my little grievances with the things that happen in the average writer's book, but at least things are happening in the average writer's book. If you have to have Coates writing comics, they should not be flagship titles that people stay on for years. Better to give him prestige minis where he can get his thoughts on character's across.

BANNED

When Coates was announced on Cap, I expected stories like the one from the most recent Marvel Comics Presents, written by the guys from March (well, minus John Lewis).

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    When Coates was announced on Cap, I expected stories like the one from the most recent Marvel Comics Presents, written by the guys from March (well, minus John Lewis).
    Duggan should've gotten Cap after Waid. And if they were actually serious about Falcon succeeding, they would've asked Coates to do it, because there he could explore the stuff that all of his non-fiction work is about anyway and that were already a major part of Spencer's story.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Duggan should've gotten Cap after Waid. And if they were actually serious about Falcon succeeding, they would've asked Coates to do it, because there he could explore the stuff that all of his non-fiction work is about anyway and that were already a major part of Spencer's story.
    Duggan should've been Marvel's main guy on many of their top properties.

Instead he's writing Conan the Barbarian and Punisher Kill Krew and Hot Claws.

Imagine having one of your elder gods working on 90's fast food and edgy satellite books while also having Al Ewing, continuity god and now hot-seller, doing more AU Warps shenanigans.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Imagine having one of your elder gods working on 90's fast food and edgy satellite books while also having Al Ewing, continuity god and now hot-seller, doing more AU Warps shenanigans.
    Marvel have some weird priorities

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    I'm shocked too. But some people see comics as escapism.
    So they won't enjoy a work with subtext, political statements and lots of dialogues.
    They just want to read a ghost riding a mammoth kicking some monsters asses.