Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Seems alright enough, I'm a few years too old to have watched the original series as a child but this is about what I expected when I heard it wasn't a joke. I doubt I'll see the movie, but it might be worth drinking through when it comes to Netflix.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

My best friend's little girl, at nine, is probably starting to grow out of the Dora stage but she might be growing into an age where she would like this version. She loved "Mary Poppins Returns". Might take her to see this movie.
    Power with Girl is better.

Ultimate Member

Benicio del Toro is voicing Swipper the Fox as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Benicio del Toro is voicing Swipper the Fox as well.
    So he's an actual fox? I think it would be better if he was a thief nicknamed the fox. He could wear a black hat and mask carry a sword and maybe wear a cape
    Stick "we work together and we get out of here alive"

Matt "peace out suckas"

This is too weird yet endearing

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    So he's an actual fox? I think it would be better if he was a thief nicknamed the fox. He could wear a black hat and mask carry a sword and maybe wear a cape
    I mean, that's what CollegeHumor did.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

I have a newly 5 year old and 2 year old.

Thanks for the warning.

Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

So, in brief, Dora's gone from a cute moppet to a fairly endowed teenage version of Lara Croft. I shudder to imagine what parents like Surf will go through when their kids demand to see this movie.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    So, in brief, Dora's gone from a cute moppet to a fairly endowed teenage version of Lara Croft. I shudder to imagine what parents like Surf will go through when their kids demand to see this movie.
    Not sure I see what the problem is.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    That actually looks somewhat cute.
    I agree, this looks really cute. And will probably have some parody in it. I'm mildly disappointed it is not weird looking (yet, there's still time).

And the manbabies focused on a teenager's breasts need to grow up. The actress is still a child playing a child character. That's gross.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    I agree, this looks really cute. And will probably have some parody in it. I'm mildly disappointed it is not weird looking (yet, there's still time).

And the manbabies focused on a teenager's breasts need to grow up. The actress is still a child playing a child character. That's gross.
    I may grow old, my man, but I refuse to grow up!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I'm wondering if some internet troll is going to start complaining that this is feminist propaganda.
    What are you talking about? Dora has ALWAYS been feminist propaganda.

I don't know why, but if I didn't know who Dora was, I'd say this would've been a decent plot for a live-action The Wild Thornberrys movie.

I used to watch Dora when I was younger and home from school sick. Not sure what to make of this, as I'm not really the target. It did get a few chuckles out of me, however.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

I think the target is people who watched the show as children who are now in their late teens to early twenties, and might get some nostalgia from it. While the franchise has never really been inactive since it's inception I would say that the show's heyday was Fifteen years ago. That puts the former viewers in a sought after demographic. I don't know if this is a gamble that'll work, plenty of children's franchises have been rebooted in such a way but most of them skewed a little older than Dora.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

There also was a series of animated funnies on the Youtube channel AOK a couple months ago, called Dora the Grownup in which Dora's a twenty-something who has misadventures in being inept at living an adult life. I thought the first couple episodes were funny, but the joke got old pretty fast. The vids got a couple million views though.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me