Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Sexualizing a child gets a pass these days I guess.
    Good grief, there was nothing sexualized in that trailer.

That's a really disgusting moralization. The actress is legal some places and that makes it okay? Gross.

Her character is 14.

Come one guys, we can do better.

I'd rather talk about her jankey knife or Pena playing her dad.

It's got del Toro in it, too!
    Thank you.

My big question is if the animal characters will talk or if they hired big-name actors to make animal sounds.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Good grief, there was nothing sexualized in that trailer.
    Yea instant family sexualized her way more then that trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Yea instant family sexualized her way more then that trailer.
    Huh. There was the sexting subplot, but was was mostly "off-camera"...
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Huh. There was the sexting subplot, but was was mostly "off-camera"...
    Well the bar here seem to be that she has boobs even though they are sufficiently covered up. In instant family she wore way more suggestive clothes. There is even a joke where she comes out dressed way do skimpy and MARK Wahlberg is like nope and yells at her to change. I'm not saying she was sexualized in a bas way but when people are complaining about this innocent Dora trailer I'm just pointing out Instant family put her way more suggestive clothes and even had a scene where she came out with barely anything on. Again the movie did nothing wrong, just perplexed how people think she was sexualized in Dora trailer.

Well the bar here seem to be that she has boobs even though they are sufficiently covered up. In instant family she wore way more suggestive clothes. There is even a joke where she comes out dressed way do skimpy and MARK Wahlberg is like nope and yells at her to change.
    Okay. The latter point even rings a bell (kinda low fruit for comedy, but whatever).

I'm not saying she was sexualized in a bas way but when people are complaining about this innocent Dora trailer I'm just pointing out Instant family put her way more suggestive clothes and even had a scene where she came out with barely anything on. Again the movie did nothing wrong, just perplexed how people think she was sexualized in Dora trailer.
    Like you pointed out earlier, the fact that it's a seventeen-year old compared to a eight-year-old (as in the TV show) seems to be the key point, which, as some of us agree, is inane.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Michael Pena is playing the dad.
    Thanks, googling that name I see I saw him in the Ant-Man movies.

To some of the posters in the this thread and many of the commentators on the inter webz, the fact that Dora is a teenager with womanly endowments is license to objectify.

Nick did not do that with the trailer. They actually appear to have a somewhat cute movie on their hands.
    Wish people would learn the difference between a film actually objectifying and sexualizing someone, and them objectifying someone because they're attractive.

Agreed that the movie looks cute.

That's a really disgusting moralization. The actress is legal some places and that makes it okay? Gross.

Her character is 14.

Come one guys, we can do better.
    To be fair, the law helps clear up otherwise gray areas in morality. I think using age of consent laws to figure whether you should or shouldn't feel guilty over lusting after someone on screen is a little better than trying to have people at large determine by themselves whether they should or shouldn't find someone attractive. Kind of gets most of us in a rough agreement on this sort of thing. I know I feel better when I know the girl on tv is at least 18. Law is hugely important in determining moral views.

I would also argue the age of the actress is more important than the age of the character.

My big question is if the animal characters will talk or if they hired big-name actors to make animal sounds.
    Looks like it will be a bit realistic, so CGI monkey yes, talking monkey probably no.
    Maybe the talking map will be an app or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Looks like it will be a bit realistic, so CGI monkey yes, talking monkey probably no.
    I think I'd prefer that.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Maybe the talking map will be an app or something?
    Like how the College Humor parody had her use a talking computer built into her backpack? That could be a way to stick the character in there as an Easter egg of sorts (like how Backpack the magically-taking bag doesn't seem to be there, but movie Dora still uses regular backpacks that are the same purple color)?
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Some new bits there, like the joke of young Dora "talking to the audience" schtick from the show (wonder if it'll just be a joke or if the forth-wall is going to break?). Not sure Swiper the fox walking on his back paws and wearing a mask works, but I guess they did commit to carrying over that kind of stuff from the show (and it's not like it's pitching itself as a serious reimagining of the cartoon in the first place).
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Some new bits there, like the joke of young Dora "talking to the audience" schtick from the show (wonder if it'll just be a joke or if the forth-wall is going to break?). Not sure Swiper the fox walking on his back paws and wearing a mask works, but I guess they did commit to carrying over that kind of stuff from the show (and it's not like it's pitching itself as a serious reimagining of the cartoon in the first place).
    Gotta sell them toys, right? Need recognition to move the merchandise.

I would have voiced Swiper with a real OTT flamboyant Paul Lynde impersonation. That would have ruled so hard.

RT score is 83% critic and audience is 88%!

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dor...t_city_of_gold

Paramount's Dora and the Lost City of Gold began its preview showings at 4PM yesterday and delivered $1.25 million from preview showings. The performance is nearly double the $625k in previews for The Nutcracker and the Four Realms and just ahead of the $1.2 million in previews for Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, which debuted with $28.8 million back in September 2016.
    https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4535&p=.htm

A plus on cinemascore!

https://www.cinemascore.com/

Also dora now has a higher rating on RT then the lion king remake! What on earth?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    A plus on cinemascore!

https://www.cinemascore.com/

Also dora now has a higher rating on RT then the lion king remake! What on earth?
    It was predictable, but funny and solid. Definitely better than the Lion King and a lot of movies this summer.

I watched it and liked it, but this is not a great movie or very rewatchable, honestly. I don't need to see it again soon. I think it's a movie for fans of the cartoon, or if you are a young kid. I don't think it deserves the A cinemascore. Aladdin did deserve it. That movie was a lot of fun and well made, but Dora wasn't that good to me. At best I'd give it B+

My sister took the hit and took all the kids to see dora (got lucky and didn't have to go). Her review is "eh!" "average" So redbox rental huh?