Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
WB is going out of their way to go in the opposite direction as Snyder so that tells you all you need to know about how well his philosophy works. The most popular DC movies are the ones that diverted from his "vision". Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Shazam!. Even that Harely Quinn movie where they pretend to care about the BOP is going more in a comedic direction.
Yes. I don't think they need to go quite as far as they have, but absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by manymade1 View Post
And that's not necessarily a good thing, as Aquaman and Shazam are some of the least ambitious movies out there.

I know Scorcese's been getting a lot of flack for his comments on the MCU, but I got what he was saying by likening those movies to "Theme Parks" and I honestly think SNyder was trying to add a bit more variety to the genre. Shame he's getting burned, as a result.
Variety is good - and for as much as I will always deride the DCEU for what (imo) it royally screwed up, there was real potential for some solid gravitas in there. If it could have been less wallow-y and had more active (in the narrative sense, not the standard meaning) protagonists along with a bit more power fantasy in there, I think they would have had something better than what the MCU brought to the table - certainly more unique.

The problem for WB now is that they've had the "dark" rep stick hard enough that they almost have to overdo the opposite just to knock the calcified opinion off of their name - which, while unfortunate, is entirely of their own making.