Page 48 of 48 FirstFirst ... 384445464748

Snyder wrote part of the WW script and the version of Aquaman for the movie was from his vision https://screenrant.com/aquaman-zack-...eague-changes/

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Snyder wrote part of the WW script and the version of Aquaman for the movie was from his vision https://screenrant.com/aquaman-zack-...eague-changes/
    yes,but none of them are polarising as snyders work.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    He deserves credit for that and may be a good consultant, but I think the major credit should be to Jenkins and Wan who did most of the work for the final executions of those films.

He did right in some of the basic ideas and castings, which is maybe the main capacity he should have been in.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    He deserves credit for that and may be a good consultant, but I think the major credit should be to Jenkins and Wan who did most of the work for the final executions of those films.

He did right in some of the basic ideas and castings, which is maybe the main capacity he should have been in.
    I think Jenkins and Wan would have made their movies work no matter who was in the role as long as they looked the part. No knock on them, I think they were just fine in their roles, but there are better actors out there than
    Gadot or Momoa, and if Jenkins or Wan were starting from scratch it's possible their movies might have been even better with more polished actors in the roles.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    I think Jenkins and Wan would have made their movies work no matter who was in the role as long as they looked the part. No knock on them, I think they were just fine in their roles, but there are better actors out there than
    Gadot or Momoa, and if Jenkins or Wan were starting from scratch it's possible their movies might have been even better with more polished actors in the roles.
    yeahlno offense, but an amazonian and atlantian being white and casted white would be generic.Mamoa's aquaman was different in cool way.i wouldn't want anybody else,he just needs more blonde hair.he looks like 90s version

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    yeahlno offense, but an amazonian and atlantian being white and casted white would be generic.Mamoa's aquaman was different in cool way.i wouldn't want anybody else,he just needs more blonde hair.he looks like 90s version
    I definitely agree. That said, there is something about Aquaman that's just gone from the comics - Momoa's lovable hot mess is absolutely not regal at all, and I don't know if he's capable of becoming regal without, you know, losing what makes him such a lovable hot mess.

Oh well, I think Momoa's worth it. He's a good actor and so is Gadot. And if Snyder is responsible for those castings and conceptions of Wonder Woman and Aquaman, I think everyone should be able to agree that those things are positives, 100%, despite the constant disagreements over Snyder's actual movies.
    Last edited by Adekis; 11-21-2019 at 03:24 PM.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

While I think the script was tailored to fit Momoa (since he can really only seem to play himself) and he did well in that role, I don't really see how casting someone who conventionally looks like the character to be some sort of letdown? I don't know. I liked both Arthur being Polynesian for the film and Mera looking, well, page-perfect. I don't think either approach is inherently wrong nor better than the other in adaptions. Just comes down to execution.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    While I think the script was tailored to fit Momoa (since he can really only seem to play himself) and he did well in that role, I don't really see how casting someone who conventionally looks like the character to be some sort of letdown? I don't know. I liked both Arthur being Polynesian for the film and Mera looking, well, page-perfect. I don't think either approach is inherently wrong nor better than the other in adaptions. Just comes down to execution.
    Dude, looking the character ain't the problem. It's about getting a different view of things than the 'standard American' or 'standard western' culture . The tattoos and everything just did that. It gives the character a richness in culture that's grounded in reality, that's not exactly 'standard American' or 'standard western'.( Yes, i know i am throwing blanket term.but,it is needed cause i am talking standard here).an American white blonde will rarely have that. It can. But, it is Rare.casting someone with a native hawaiian descent was just awesome for that. If a white blond can do the same.i don't really have a problem.If you ask me superman needs more of that.he is supposed to represent immigrant. How is he going to do that without much 'otherness'.i would go for more jewish iconography.
    Oh! If people didn't know the tattoos had a meaning. I got that without knowing the culture because it didn't feel standard. I was right(i also thought i was just boxing people in or stereotyping them at first. So, i looked into it.and i wasn't ) . As an outsider to 'standard western' culture. It drew my attention and fast.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 11-21-2019 at 08:25 PM.

Dude, looking the character ain't the problem. It's about getting a different view of things than the 'standard American' or 'standard western' culture . The tattoos and everything just did that. It gives the character a richness in culture that's grounded in reality, that's not exactly 'standard American' or 'standard western'.( Yes, i know i am throwing blanket term.but,it is needed cause i am talking standard here).an American white blonde will rarely have that. It can. But, it is Rare.casting someone with a native hawaiian descent was just awesome for that. If a white blond can do the same.i don't really have a problem.If you ask me superman needs more of that.he is supposed to represent immigrant. How is he going to do that without much 'otherness'.i would go for more jewish iconography.
    Oh! If people didn't know the tattoos had a meaning. I got that without knowing the culture because it didn't feel standard. I was right(i also thought i was just boxing people in at first. So, i looked into it) . As an outsider to 'standard western' culture. It drew my attention and fast.
    He looks like "generic motorcycle guy" to me, dude. Long hair and tattoos just says "I go to metal concerts and ride a Harley" if we're generalizing, which frankly I would advise against. You're glorifying one generalization and denigrating another and that's an odd hill to die on. Perhaps my view of "American" is off because he looks and behaved 100% American to me in every context. There's no factory setting for us here.
    Last edited by Robanker; 11-21-2019 at 08:01 PM.

I think Momoa's take worked fine in the movies but I really hope DC doesn't try and force it to be the standard version of Aquaman moving forward.

It was bad enough when they forced the long hair and beard on him. Now he doesn't even bother wearing a shirt.

He looks like "generic motorcycle guy" to me, dude. Long hair and tattoos just says "I go to metal concerts and ride a Harley" if we're generalizing, which frankly I would advise against. You're glorifying one generalization and denigrating another and that's an odd hill to die on. Perhaps my view of "American" is off because he looks 100% American to me in every context. There's no factory setting for us here.
    I am not glorifying anything nor denigrating. I called it standard because i don't correctly have words for explaining it. How can i put it, something that's not part of main western demographic. That's what i meant by standard . He is an American. I never said that he isn't. But, is he part of main demographic? i don't think so. I could be wrong because i am an outsider.I tie a string on my arm that has a meaning, in the culture i come from. To you it might not mean anything. It might not even be noticeable. But, it is there. Even if he does look like a "motorcycle guy" that doesn't negate what i said. I mean, i normally look like a (i don't know. I am a nerd,i guess) everyone else. What's he supposed to have horns or something? That's not the point.I said 'standard western'. also didn't i? There is clear overlap Between all the cultures in the west. Just like there is the Indian subcontinent or asia for that matter
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 11-21-2019 at 08:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think Momoa's take worked fine in the movies but I really hope DC doesn't try and force it to be the standard version of Aquaman moving forward.

It was bad enough when they forced the long hair and beard on him. Now he doesn't even bother wearing a shirt.
    Yeah, I think he was fine. Wasn't bad, wasn't great, but I had a lot of fun in that movie and his enthusiasm was palpable!

Yeah, I think he was fine. Wasn't bad, wasn't great, but I had a lot of fun in that movie and his enthusiasm was palpable!
    I do get a kick out of that Momoa yell .

(He should've said "Outrageous!" at least once...)

I gotta admit, I wanted an "Outrageous" too, and preferably one in Justice League, maybe at about the point when he said "Awl right" in response to Superman?

But I gotta admit, I'm not even sure how much I think Momoa's Aquaman could make "Outrageous!" work. He's certainly boisterous enough, but I don't think he's regal enough. Not that I don't think it's worth the trade, like I said.

Relatedly, I wish we'd gotten a more enthusiastic "Boo-Yah" out of Ray Fisher in JL. Then again, well, I guess that subdued and guarded character was Vic for that whole movie.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."