Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
I think people with takes on comic properties like Synder have their place but I think that was always the wrong perspective to make the spearheader of a DC Cinematic Universe, and certainly wrong to try and bring Superman back into the mainstream.
It probably seemed like a good idea at the time, or at the outset. Tim Burton did wonders with Batman, but Schumacher who came in after Burton parted ways because of issues and had to deal with executive oversight, sunk the project. and in the case of Superman the story spun was that Richard Donner was chased off by the Salkinds and his vision was ruined. Then Nolan came and got a total free hand and free run on the Batman to do three films as he saw fit (which Raimi didn't get to do with his three Spider-Man films so Nolan is an exception). So giving Snyder some amount of latitude was thinking with some solid reasoning behind it. Nolan produced it.

Snyder was on the face of it a more commercial choice than Nolan when he got to the Dark Knight. Before Batman Begins, Nolan made some indie cult movies, but nothing truly blockbuster. Whereas Snyder had 300 as this big success, work as music video producer, that Romero remake/homage, and he made a version of Watchmen which wasn't a total garbage fire even if it was a commercial failure. Unlike Nolan though, whose Memento is a really good movie, I don't think any of Snyder's movies were good (and I still don't rate him as a director). So I can understand why they thought Snyder was a good idea.

I definitely think that after Man of Steel they should have called a rain-check. They should have gotten someone else, like Mathew Vaughan who has expressed interest in Superman. Get that guy to do a sequel/soft reboot. Do what they did with JL in the sequel to Man of Steell...softly retcon the events of the film and downplay it stat, or treat it like how the MCU treat the Edward Norton Hulk movie, it kinda happened but nobody talks about it.

The Batman Superman team up movie should have been this great all-time screen moment and instead its...what it is. Gotta give props to Snyder...he made Superman and Batman in the same movie and same scene and ruined it. He's responsible for Justice League being a commercial flop...how is that possible. This should have been the movie version of the coffee scene in Heat when DeNiro and Pacino appeared for the first time. That was huge. The entire movie was built on them coming face to face and it was the scene at the center of the entire thing. We didn't get that. Snyder's most important contribution is casting Gal Gadot, and grokking that Batman and Wonder Woman have better chemistry than Superman and WW ever will, and of course backing Junkie XL who wrote the great Wonder Woman theme.