Page 26 of 48 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    YES! my biggest issue with MOS from a story level wasn't that he killed Zod but they never established him being a hero who had a no kill policy for that to truly matter.
    I thought the whole thing with Zod would make an excellent reason for Clark to develop a no kill code. I mean, from Clark's perspective that was a hell of a thing. He chose earth over Krypton, yeah, but Zod was still one of the only remaining members of Clark's race. Their people got that much closer to total extinction because Clark had to kill the guy. That's something I dont think any of us can really wrap our heads around. And for Clark, with his senses, having to watch all signs of life leave Zod's body must have made it much harder.

I'd much rather see Clark go through something like this and say "Yeah, I'm not doing that again. I'm the gods damn Superman and I'll find other options!" than him just saying "killing is icky and I want to be a good person so I'm not gonna do it!"

I mean, ultimately its kinda moot, because Clark kills when he has to, code or no code. But if he's gonna get a hair across his ass about the topic, having to kill Zod and drive his people closer to extinction is far better motivation than simple, all-purpose morals. No decent person *wants* to take a life. Clark saying he doesn't want to kill people is.....that's not a sign of nobility, it's a sign of common decency that most people share. It doesn't set him apart, and most people who don't want to take a life don't make a big oath about it. If Clark's gonna have such a clear-cut rule for himself, he needs a reason for that beyond "decent person." But like I said, he kills when he must anyway so whatever.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Why do the U.S. Government and public in the DCEU think Superman killed people in Africa with BULLETS?
    They all are living in a f*ing dreamworld?

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I thought the whole thing with Zod would make an excellent reason for Clark to develop a no kill code. I mean, from Clark's perspective that was a hell of a thing. He chose earth over Krypton, yeah, but Zod was still one of the only remaining members of Clark's race. Their people got that much closer to total extinction because Clark had to kill the guy. That's something I dont think any of us can really wrap our heads around. And for Clark, with his senses, having to watch all signs of life leave Zod's body must have made it much harder.
    Remember when we all optimistically thought this was going to be a thing in BvS?

Oh how naive and hopeful we were....

The code against killing doesn't make a lot of sense in the comics.

Villains almost never stay dead for good and there's a confirmed afterlife.

Why do the U.S. Government and public in the DCEU think Superman killed people in Africa with BULLETS?
    This always flashes into my mind when people try to claim BvS is just 2deep4u. It’s not deep at all, it wants to be deep, it very badly wants to be, but it’s actually a very, very stupid movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    This always flashes into my mind when people try to claim BvS is just 2deep4u. It’s not deep at all, it wants to be deep, it very badly wants to be, but it’s actually a very, very stupid movie.
    In the Ultimate Cut the bodies are burned to make people think Superman used his heat vision to kill everyone and the woman that's interviewed on the news is working to frame Superman.

I watched the Ultimate Cut because fans of BvS kept telling me that if I watched it I would change my mind but all it did was convince me that Zack Snyder doesn't know how to tell a story. He chose to cut scenes that explained the plot when he could have kept them in and shortened some of the fight scenes for the theatrical cut. The movie would still been bad but at least it would have made more sense.

Someone a day after graduating from film school would have made a better movie.

Zach Snyder is the Jesus Christ of our time.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Remember when we all optimistically thought this was going to be a thing in BvS?

Oh how naive and hopeful we were....
    Oh, I lost almost all hope as soon as we knew Batman was showing up. I've become kind of a jaded bastard, I guess.

I held out a tiny bit of hope that Snyder would pull it off. I really enjoyed MoS (warts and all) so I was crossing my fingers, but.....deep down, I knew things were going off the rails as soon as they announced the name of the film.

But before that? When we thought we were getting a MoS-2? Oh yes. Very naive. Very hopeful.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    Exlie would fit fine, imo. The dwelling he does on it doesn't have to be presented as the self-serious moping we got - there are a lot of ways to show sympathy cinematically without going that route.. it just takes a creative touch to do so. And the only reason the pocket universe's Zod wasn't still actively participating in genocide is because there wasn't anything left to kill. The planet (other than Matrix) was a charred, barren husk of a planet. To my mind, Exile would be equally justified after MoS as it is after Superman #22. Considering the p.u. Zod just decimated an entire planet and vowed to do it again... but Clark can feel bad about killing him because Zod wasn't in the middle of doing it? That seems very arbitrary to me.

As for fuel vs power.. I still don't see why it can't be both. He is a living solar battery, after all. Though I definitely agree that the sun-dipping was overdone for awhile, we haven't seen too much of it lately, thankfully.

That would make sense if everything was being sucked in. But mostly it was Kryptonians. And I did a quick look online, and the novelization for the film says something to this effect, if what I found is right:

If they were sucked in to their deaths, I might have to place that even above how they handled Pa's death in the list of "wow, that's bad" ideas from that creative team.
    I don't know if the novelization is correct or canon. All i can do is go by the movie. In the movie, it wasn't just kryptonIans that were getting sucked in. even lois was going. Hamilton and other military guys were going away as well. It just seems wierd to create a singularity and not be killed. If that thing was stable. It has the capacity to eat the entire planet i believe. I don't think snyder planned for the emil to ever return.

I don't know. Maybe. For me, this guy mopes around too much as is. him sitting in a room, seeing ghosts.. Etc. I just don't think he needs to have that kind of journey. He doesn't have a no kill code. He is essentially like gohan in dragon ball. My favourite part in dbz was gohan letting go after android 16 asks him to let go and gets destroyed by cell. I would argue that i have never seen a character who values life more than gohan and android 16.when android 16 says to let it go. It meant something. It doesn't mean he has thrown away his morality. It is quite the opposite his morality is what fuelled him to make that choice. Whining about making that choice would have disrespected not only goku's sacrifice but android 16's as well. To me android 16 is more a living being than whatever cell is.

When it's power. It feels like he is cheating.goku is also born great. He also hit the genetic lottery. But, the character is always pushing at perfecting his craft. Clark constantly getting more powerful with sunbathing has become tiresome. He is not just reporter. He debuted in "action" comics not reporters comics or something. He is essentially an action hero. I have never see anyone say Superman is inspirational when it comes to phyical training.some just view him as a reporter. But, i would argue clark had the athletic strongman aspect before the reporter gig. Clark can be like plants. He eats sunlight. It helps clark get stronger like goid food does a human. That's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Oh, I lost almost all hope as soon as we knew Batman was showing up. I've become kind of a jaded bastard, I guess.

I held out a tiny bit of hope that Snyder would pull it off. I really enjoyed MoS (warts and all) so I was crossing my fingers, but.....deep down, I knew things were going off the rails as soon as they announced the name of the film.

But before that? When we thought we were getting a MoS-2? Oh yes. Very naive. Very hopeful.
    Man I do wish we could’ve gotten that MoS2 with Metallo they were thinking about doing. At the very least it would’ve boosted Metallo’s profile, and Metallo being a victim of Zod’s rampage is actually a great origin and explains his hatred for Clark while still making him sympathetic. I mean it probably would’ve been bad but hopefully not BvS tier.

US government and people think superman scortched the people in Africa because lex luthor literally scorched them to look like superman did it.

Quote Originally Posted by Superbat View Post
    In the Ultimate Cut the bodies are burned to make people think Superman used his heat vision to kill everyone and the woman that's interviewed on the news is working to frame Superman.

I watched the Ultimate Cut because fans of BvS kept telling me that if I watched it I would change my mind but all it did was convince me that Zack Snyder doesn't know how to tell a story. He chose to cut scenes that explained the plot when he could have kept them in and shortened some of the fight scenes for the theatrical cut. The movie would still been bad but at least it would have made more sense.

Someone a day after graduating from film school would have made a better movie.
    Snyder didn't cut the scenes. WB did.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Snyder didn't cut the scenes. WB did.
    Warner Bros made him shorten the film, it was his choice what to cut.

Studios asking directors to trim their films for theatrical release is standard practice.

Studios asking directors to trim their films for theatrical release is standard practice.
    In Snyder's defense it makes more sense to cut out the exposition that 90% of the audience doesn't really care because they would rather see the big explosions and buildings falling down.
    Plus those cost more time and money to make so a director would sort of feel guilty by getting rid of stuff the studio spent a lot of money on and keep the cheap stuff.

Really? Just weeks before the release. I wouldn't be surprised if they went behind his back. The guy was kicked out when he was going through his personal ordeal. So, much for keeping zack's vision. They made a whole different movie. Justice league was hollow. Superman was a lifeless caricature. You cansay what you want about zack's clark. That he was passive. That he just lacks resilience and charm. But, it ain't a caricature. . If they wanted a safe popcorn flick. They should have never hired him in the first place. The guy always swings for the fences. Even if it doesn't work.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 10-21-2019 at 04:23 AM.