Page 8 of 48 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GreatKungLao View Post
    Obviously you are not familiar with his entire filmogrpahy to think that's his only style.
    1 movie out of 6. It is his style for superhero movies.
    Last edited by Superbat; 03-26-2019 at 10:32 PM.

Last Son of Shaolin GreatKungLao's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superbat View Post
    1 movie out of 6. It is his style for superhero movies.
    You know that he directed this, right?

Quote Originally Posted by GreatKungLao View Post
    You know that he directed this, right?
    Whoa, an animated short. That changes everything.

That short epitomize's Snyder's career.

The only time his movies resemble anything good is when he's referencing someone else.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Animated short also had bruce timm working on it. Not that Bruce timm has great track record with superman.
    The thing with snyder is that, he lacks originality when it comes to superman mythos. His additions to the mythos where forgettable to bad. On top of that he takes these bad concepts/ideas or ideas that are done to death and tries to adapt them knowing full well that the brand could be irreparably damaged. Now, the brand is damaged.
    Also, he needs to stop pushing his own philosophical leanings and world view on to superman characters. He thinks he made superman relatable. No, he didn't. Superman wouldn't have survived this long,if he weren't relatable to begin with.

The issue with Metallo as a villain imo is that he'd need some kind of redesign to avoid simply being "A super terminator" since his most iconic forms are "Metal skeleton" and "Flesh torn revealing metal skeleton"

The big characters at DC tend get view as symbols rather than characters way too much which tends to lead to these stupid convos when we have already seen the answer Superman has killed,Batman has killed. Period. Snyder said it the most obnoxious way but point is general valid especially in the case of Batman they have takes on character similar to what Synder did in the movies, fact Snyder take on Batman could be seen as pretty close to original take on Batman when he was more in the vain of Shadow and other pulp characters at the time.

I lean towards more Snyder side thinking than people criticizing him, Captain America who is as super moral in comics as Superman. We never get these arguments about him in the MCU and no it is not about him being a soldier because He literally wouldn't put down a robot when the fate of bloody universe is on the line. Marvel flawed human approach never have them put characters so much on pedestal to where you can never see the character doing a mistake even though they have same philosophy as Superman and Batman. Spiderman and Captain America don't kill in the same vein as Batman and Superman but they don't have so much emphasis on that philosophy that grown adults are arguing about it.

I get why people don't like Snyder's movies and his take on characters and I would even agree that he was the wrong choice to co write DC movies and guide the path of DC movie universe. But with that said his instincts on hiring was dead on Jason Momoa and Gail Gadot did well in their roles,Henry Cavill is a good choice for Superman,Ben Affleck would have been great in a traditional Batman movie from what we have seen imo.

I think they are two legit sides on this topic one side who wants a full wish fulfillment fantasy that never puts character in position to fail at a moral compromise situation and they are those who their fictional characters to have deal with real choices that real life heroes have to make and don't have a writer to give them an out. I appreciate the both things like I said I lean to later

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    I think they are two legit sides on this topic one side who wants a full wish fulfillment fantasy that never puts character in position to fail at a moral compromise situation and they are those who their fictional characters to have deal with real choices that real life heroes have to make and don't have a writer to give them an out. I appreciate the both things like I said I lean to later
    I feel like, at best, that's an oversimplification. Those elements are there, but there's more to it than that. It's also about sticking to themes and properly executing them, and if they're going to go down a road and talk about the consequences, then do that. But these movies generally don't have the proper time to devote to such exploration, and even in the crazy-long extended cut, we didn't properly get that. Some exploration, yes, but not a proper examination (imo).

Characters failing or compromising moral tests should learn something from it. It should have some kind of value for the characters to have narrative value. That rarely happens in these films, particularly where Clark is concerned. Clark kills Zod and feels badly about it, but we aren't given a context for this other than the ingrained assumptions we've already made about the character before we walked into the theater, or maybe "he's a good guy so he probably doesn't like killing." And setting all of that aside, let's go on the emotional journey with the character after having to make such a decision and see where that goes... we don't get that, because in MoS it's time for the end of the film and in BvS we're too busy setting up Batman's motivation multiple times (when the first time really did sell it quite well).

I'd highly suggest checking out the Youtube channel "Nando V Movies" and his rewrite/criticism of MoS. It's pretty powerful, and would have been a good film that's still grounded in the sense of realism Snyder said he was after without being buried in it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhGS...s4N845KU9ExBvh
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    The big characters at DC tend get view as symbols rather than characters way too much which tends to lead to these stupid convos when we have already seen the answer Superman has killed,Batman has killed.
    I have seen these statements put out by Marvel fanboys caught in '60s Bullpen timewarp mostly to dismiss the work done by many great writers and artists to make these "symbols" into characters in many stories. Such fanboys are ignorant of Marvel's own history. It's not welcome in this topic here.

...fact Snyder take on Batman could be seen as pretty close to original take on Batman when he was more in the vain of Shadow and other pulp characters at the time.
    Except unlike Burton who made sure that his take on Batman was visually and stylistically apart from every other version before and so distanced from any comics take, Snyder has Batman, Gotham and Metropolis look like a familiar and contemporary version. He's not doing enough to bring out those original influences work. And Burton at least was consistent (Batman kills or at least is not averse to collateral damage and as such he kills Joker unlike Snyder's Batman who only kills henchmen but lets' Joker, Luthor and others live and rot in Arkham...). Influences from different eras, and original run is fine and all, but you can never be truly faithful, and so claim that as a defense/excuse, since that would involve recreating the racism and sexism of the original stories (such as when Batman openly lets Catwoman go in the first story solely because she's hot...this is in-page and in-dialogue. Now you can have that be subtext, but put those words actually in his mouth, and he looks like a sleazebag).

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

If you gonna do a Batman that kills, he has to keep that same energy for henchmen and rogues alike. Any version that just kills noname henchmen but that’s it is depressingly dull and pointless. Go all the way with it or don’t do it all.

I’ll just say that MOS was the first time I really connected with the Superman character. I love that movie. I had never enjoyed the character before that. I’d seen the old 70’s movies and while I appreciate their historical significance, they’re atrocious. I can’t believe I come into a thread in 2019 and see a 40 yr old film referenced. Nostalgia is strangling Superman. I just don’t get it. Snyder nailed it to me.

I’d be very interested in seeing a Snyder cut of Justice League. I don’t even understand the Superman who appears in the released version. It’s a completely different person & throws out the previous two films. Whedon ruined Justice League not Snyder. I’ll
    Last edited by Stick Figure; 03-27-2019 at 08:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    "a vocal minority"

Yeah I don't think so. If it was just a vocal minority, BvS would be considered a big hit with both critics and general audiences and also at the box office, and that was not the case. The first live action film with the DC trinity wasn't the event it needed to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    If you gonna do a Batman that kills, he has to keep that same energy for henchmen and rogues alike. Any version that just kills noname henchmen but that’s it is depressingly dull and pointless. Go all the way with it or don’t do it all.
    Never understood why any hero that kills has no problem killing random henchmen with families to feed, but the hero draws the line at killing the guy in charge. Why not kill Joker and spare thousands of lives?