Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Golden Age Midnight (Dave Clark / Quality Comics) Appreciation Thread (2019)

NOTE: This thread is to serve as continuation of the previous "Golden Age Midnight (Dave Clark / Quality Comics) Appreciation Thread", which can be found at
    From the previous version (originally created in August of 2018):
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy
    Here's how the character first appeared in a DC comic book story:

from All-Star Squadron #31, cover-dated March 1984

And here's how he first appeared back in Smash Comics #18 (January 1941), published by Quality Comics:

And if, perhaps, he seems sort of like Will Eisner's The Spirit, well, . . .

Fantastic Member

Like many modern day readers, I owe a debt of gratitude to Roy Thomas for introducing Midnight to me in All-Star Squadron issue 31. Before that, I had never heard of the Spirit (hey, I was ten years old in 1983, give me a break!), so this Quality character was extremely original and exciting to me. I did appreciate how Geoff Johns did a call-back to Roy's All-Star 31 in his own work on the JSA.

Also from the previous version of this thread:

from Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe Vol. XV (May 1986)

I like Midnight a lot.
    And I just love the color palette used by Quality back then.
    Panels 4 and 6 on that second page (climbing the roof and then entering the window) are just candy to my eyes!
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Literally named my forum persona after this guy and Citizen V. "The Man Called Midnight" or "The Man at Midnight" my grandfather was in ww2 and he mentioned him a couple times when I was little and he found out
    I liked comics. Literally naming some obscure characters that he knew.

Honestly though my favorite appearance of him was in JLA: Destiny but if they made a new series I'd snap it up.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

They did try a new version of Midnight in Ms. Tree Quarterly in 1990, written by Ed Gorman with art by Graham Nolan (later Rick Burchett). He wasn't Dave Clark, and the feature (to me, at least) wasn't very memorable.

A year or two back, the very talented James Harvey drew a Midnight backup comic in the Allreds' Bug: The Adventures of Forager miniseries, called "Midnight in the Phantom Zone." It is a radical take on the character, but it has some of the most astonishing artwork I've ever seen, especially Harvey's creative layouts.

I found this gallery on Imgur, but didn't scan or post it myself:
    https://imgur.com/gallery/9oypT

Secret Origins #28 (July 1988)

I think the easiest way to revive midnight is to....

A. Make it a legacy and give it to a women or a non white character.

B. Change the suit slightly, as is he looks VERY close to the Question or his obvious inspiration the spirit.

And thats it. Cause they did something similar with the Crimson Avenger but added magic to it and it never really worked out imo.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    I think the easiest way to revive midnight is to....

A. Make it a legacy and give it to a women or a non white character.

B. Change the suit slightly, as is he looks VERY close to the Question or his obvious inspiration the spirit.

And thats it. Cause they did something similar with the Crimson Avenger but added magic to it and it never really worked out imo.
    Is this some kind of joke? If perchance it is then its not a very funny one.

Lets to this thing to this character... that they did to another similar character... a thing which never really worked out.

Sounds miserable. I guess doing the easy thing is rarely the best thing.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    Is this some kind of joke? If perchance it is then its not a very funny one.

Lets to this thing to this character... that they did to another similar character... a thing which never really worked out.

Sounds miserable. I guess doing the easy thing is rarely the best thing.
    I mean my post explicitly pointed out that ADDING MAGIC to Crimson Avenger didnt fit the theme. Not the legacy or non white character. I mean he's going to languish in obscurity without a revamp of somekind. The JSA find it difficult to hang around and their the Bedrock of DCs teams. Whats a Vigilante who's a very clearrip off going to bring to the table ?
    Last edited by jetengine; 06-26-2019 at 03:56 PM.

from Midnight's second adventure in Smash Comics #19 (February 1941):

A multi-media celebration of the "Whatever Happened to..." series. Turns out Black Canary wasn't the only Golden Age hero to have a singing career.

https://dangerousminds.net/comments/...ave_clark_five

And before anyone "corrects" me, I know. It's a joke. Admittedly, not one of my better ones.
    Last edited by CaptCleghorn; 07-10-2019 at 01:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    A multi-media celebration of the "Whatever Happened to..." series. Turns out Black Canary wasn't the only Golden Age hero to have a singing career.

And before anyone "corrects" me, I know. It's a joke. Admittedly, not one of my better ones.
    I think you tried to use "IMG" for a link to a website?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I think you tried to use "IMG" for a link to a website?

You are correct, sir. I have corrected my mislabe;ling. Thank you.