Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

I mean, if we spot Jaqen skill equivalent to Arya, he's taking this. She's CLEARLY more skilled than TV Brienne. And that's likely underselling him massively, given that he's a physically fit adult and not a pre-teen, and has a couple of decades of experience with this stuff instead of perhaps a year or so.

Buuuut, he is absolutely featless on-screen.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    I mean, if we spot Jaqen skill equivalent to Arya, he's taking this. She's CLEARLY more skilled than TV Brienne. And that's likely underselling him massively, given that he's a physically fit adult and not a pre-teen, and has a couple of decades of experience with this stuff instead of perhaps a year or so.

Buuuut, he is absolutely featless on-screen.
    She is about even with TV Brienne. When she gets serious, they are evenly matched.

I would have to watch it again, but I think that's what they were trying to show. She gets bested twice, goes "ok... WTF" goes tryhard mode and it evens out. Right?
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    She is about even with TV Brienne. When she gets serious, they are evenly matched.

I would have to watch it again, but I think that's what they were trying to show. She gets bested twice, goes "ok... WTF" goes tryhard mode and it evens out. Right?
    It was more that Arya (who went into the fight expecting to deal with someone in the same bracket as The Hound) managed to surprise Brienne a couple of times when she didn't want to fight her charge and wasn't taking her tiny sword (which wouldn't have even bothered Brienne through her normal armor) seriously, but when Brienne started to actually put some effort in Arya was on the defensive the entire time, got the wind kicked out of her for long enough for Brienne to have finished her off if it was a real fight, and ended in a "stand off" where Arya would have to impale her own face on a Valyrian Steel sword to land a killing blow (which would still be difficult to do if Brienne had been wearing her customary helm, even with a Valyrian Steel knife) while Brienne could stretch out her arm to impale Arya's face without endangering herself at all.

I can't really see a world where Jaqen doesn't disappear at the start of the brawl, then reappears with his knife in the last man standing's back at the end.

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

It feels worth noting that either version of Brienne has feats for actually winning big free for all fights in this format. I might favor her show version over Oberyn, but I think Siriel is right about the ultimate outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    It feels worth noting that either version of Brienne has feats for actually winning big free for all fights in this format. I might favor her show version over Oberyn, but I think Siriel is right about the ultimate outcome.
    Do you feel like Brienne could take the Mountain?
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    Do you feel like Brienne could take the Mountain?
    Not really, and I totally see Oberyn beating her one on one. I just think his style of combat is less well suited to this scenario.

He can't keep the length of his spear between himself and every opponent here. His light armor means he has little margin for error, and he has more to keep track of here and we kind of know he lacks the spider sense factor to avoid being surprised. And he needs to exert more energy to stay alive then anyone else, so he may tire out.

Barring no one on the field coming after him or thinking to tag team him, I think he probably goes down before Brienne, who is quite the turtle. And I don't see folks as canny as Bronn ignoring him, for example.

TV

Brienne and Oberyn are absolutely not second-tier and Jaqen would probably be top tier too if based on presentation rather than feats.

Oberyn is very, very good at dueling with his short spear and light armor. With his reach advantage and superior skill and agility, he was able to dance circles around the Mountain and slowly dissect him almost at leisure. But he doesn't have leisure time here. He's in a big meelee with threats coming from multiple angles at once. I'm actually iffy on whether he beats Brienne one on one; he was absolutely the best character to match up against the Mountain, and would have had a a harder time against people almost as strong but way faster and more skilled like Brienne or the Hound.

In a grand meelee, Brienne definitely has the edge over Oberyn. Valyrian steel blade, great reach, heavy armor, high damage soak and strength enough to make piling on her a difficult prospect. That said, those same qualities make her very liable to draw aggro from multiple sources.

Therefore, I'm backing Bronn. Bronn isn't the fastest, the strongest or even the most skilled fighter here, but he's got sufficient quality in all of them to remain competitive. More importantly, he's smart, full of little tricks and has excellent battlefield awareness. He's a mercenary who fights knowing that the coin he's earning is only good to him if he's alive to spend it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzNn7oF6eEY

We've seen Bronn enter chaotic situations time and time again, and he always manages to get an edge, always manages to avoid taking anything more than superficial damage. He has the best risk assessment of the fighters here. For these reasons, I'm betting on him.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

I actually think that she stands a good chance against the Mountain, simply because she was able to keep up with the (admittedly somewhat reduced) Hound in brute strength, and GoT Sandor was able to hold his ground against a berserk Gregor for a bit, before he was practically ordered to stop, so she should definitely be strong enough to punch holes in plate mail with a Valyrian Steel sword.

Meanwhile, Oberyn was sent flying and had his spear broken every time he blocked one of Gregor's swings. Granted, that doesn't mean that Oberyn would lose to Brienne, since an argument could be made that the only reason that Gregor lasted long enough to land hours was because Oberyn was explicitly drawing the fight out to get Gregor to confess to (and hopefully implicate Tywin in) his crimes. There's a good chance that Oberyn knock down Brienne and shank her through her armor with a poisoned spear like he did against Gregor (without subsequently letting his guard down in a last ditch effort to wrangle confession or if her).

Extraordinary Member

Jaqen's a Faceless Man. We know what Arya as a teenage girl with incomplete training is able to accomplish. Logically he takes this

The Mountain is as Bronn puts it "much faster than you'd think for a guy that big" and was evenly matched with the Hound in speed/skill.

The Hound Brienne beat was sick to the point where Arya herself mentioned he was sluggish. I dont see Oberyn having issues with Brienne. At least not more than he did with the Mountain.

Cap makes a good point on endurance though. Back flipping is not the most... energy efficient strategy lol.

And sure, Bronn or Ramsay may very well end it with a projectile. My gut still says he's got the raw talent to come out with a majority, if only barely.

Jaqen has like... no feats. He's bad for Rumbles :/
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Falcon View Post
    TV

Brienne and Oberyn are absolutely not second-tier and Jaqen would probably be top tier too if based on presentation rather than feats.

Oberyn is very, very good at dueling with his short spear and light armor. With his reach advantage and superior skill and agility, he was able to dance circles around the Mountain and slowly dissect him almost at leisure. But he doesn't have leisure time here. He's in a big meelee with threats coming from multiple angles at once. I'm actually iffy on whether he beats Brienne one on one; he was absolutely the best character to match up against the Mountain, and would have had a a harder time against people almost as strong but way faster and more skilled like Brienne or the Hound.

In a grand meelee, Brienne definitely has the edge over Oberyn. Valyrian steel blade, great reach, heavy armor, high damage soak and strength enough to make piling on her a difficult prospect. That said, those same qualities make her very liable to draw aggro from multiple sources.

Therefore, I'm backing Bronn. Bronn isn't the fastest, the strongest or even the most skilled fighter here, but he's got sufficient quality in all of them to remain competitive. More importantly, he's smart, full of little tricks and has excellent battlefield awareness. He's a mercenary who fights knowing that the coin he's earning is only good to him if he's alive to spend it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzNn7oF6eEY

We've seen Bronn enter chaotic situations time and time again, and he always manages to get an edge, always manages to avoid taking anything more than superficial damage. He has the best risk assessment of the fighters here. For these reasons, I'm betting on him.
    I also find this case pretty compelling. Bronn also has the charisma to convince other folks to team up with him, even if they should know better. Lots of x factors in this fight.
    Last edited by Captain Morgan; 03-31-2019 at 08:16 AM.

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

I might also back Bronn.

He seems to have really good situational awareness and combat feats enough to hold his own against any of them one on one (not beat them, maybe, but hold his own).
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

If we stick to TV versions but also add in hyperbole, off-screen 'feats', reputation, hearsay, supposed history and claimed skill. Who takes it?

Should go to the Faceless Man then really.