Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    If George Perez's take on Wonder Woman later caused more harm than good in the aftermath of COIE, then WHAT does it take to make Wonder Woman a valuable character in the overall DC and make her have a greater appearance beyond being in the Justice League and coming from the island of the Amazon ?

I mean what does DC have to do to give Wonder Woman a better chance at being a heroine and standing tall along side the other members of the Trinity ?

Her longevity in comics is one thing, but the lack of secondary titles can hurt more than it can help, right ?
    The problem with Wonder Woman was never been Wonder Woman. It's always been misogyny holding Wonder Woman back. Honestly I think the toxic masculinity in the comic book industry is the reason it is dying and it goes all the way to the top. Wonder Woman will survive it all the way she always has, and that's outside of comic books.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Might want to wait a bit longer before including him.
    The movie doesn't open until next month here in the U.S.
    He’s already a critical success and his movie was made on a relatively modest budget. If it did MoS numbers it would be a huge success. I feel pretty confident in his success.

Retired

There's the DC Superhero Girls line of cartoons and toys. It seems like Wonder Woman is used a lot in that to support the other characters they are advertising.

I know that comic books don't count for much, like they once used to do. But I'd be sad if there were no more comic books around with Wonder Woman in them. If nothing else, it's a far cheaper way to try out new concepts than any other medium. If a floppy fails, they haven't lost much money--whereas, video games, movies, animated flicks, live action TV and even high end books are a much bigger gamble to produce and distribute.

Jason Aaron and Russell Dauterman

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Yeah, some good movies, cartoons and video games are more important for her future than winning over more of the comics crowd. It's a niche market, especially the superhero side of it, and has too much competition with more satisfying forms of media.
    Critically and commercially profitable multi-media efforts that focus on Wonder Woman. I agree that not having a solo animated series/cartoon has been detrimental to Wonder Woman's popularity. Not capitalizing on her presence during Justice League's popularity was criminal and sexist. Instead, the Powers That Be went with Green Lantern. Following the success of the movie, there wasn't much else in other media forms.

If Wonder Woman had a successful video game like the Arkham series or Spiderverse, it would go a long way in increasing her popularity. It's a shame nobody capitalized on her presence from Injustice. Personally, I'd love to see a console game that includes elements from God of War, Bayonetta and Arkham. Similarly, Wonder Woman could use more mobile device presence.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I think rebooting in general causes more harm than good in the long run. We see it time and time again, and not just with Wonder Woman. Perez was just the one to do it, and it was an improvement on a lot of the stuff that was happening immediately prior. Any other WW reboot would have run into similar problems eventually, and Perez's take was no doubt better than some others we could have gotten. Not setting it in the present was by far the worst decision, and it's not on him.
    While I'm not up for another reboot, I think there needs to be some streamlining of the key elements of her origin.

However, I think one way to "increase the value" is to lean into the immortality aspect of Wonder Woman (like they did in the movies and the tv show). I would love for the comic book version to have been active for a lot longer. I would have her active in World War I, like the movies. She'd withdraw after the war back to Themyscira, only to be called into action again in World War II. And then again at the start of the modern era and help found the Justice League. I'd personally love to see her active again in the 30th century somehow--I think it's bollocks that she's not been present in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurisu View Post
    Jason Aaron and Russell Dauterman

I could get on board with that, provided Aaron didn’t rehash Gorr again with Diana. His JaneThor was pretty good from what I hear.

Incredible Member

Only Superman is powerful enough to save Wonder Woman!

A dedicated editorial team would be a good start. A clear, simple and canonical origin covering all aspects of the character (powers, history, friends, foes, family, etc) would also be good. If a writer wants to depart from the established canon, then they do an Elseworlds story - otherwise it sticks and everyone has to abide by it.

But, an animated series is really where Wonder Woman is missing out. DC Superhero Girls is all well and good, but it's still an ensemble series. If Harley Quinn can have her own animated series, then Diana deserves one as well. And it doesn't need to be R-rated - it should be aimed at a "family" audience (i.e. safe enough for kids, but engaging enough for adults).

A good video game would also be nice to see. But, they haven't managed that for Superman, so I'm not sure it will happen.

And keep up the good work with the movies of course!

If you aren't first your last with comics fans

1. Live action movie did very well 880 million,Sequel is being made

2. A major part of big biggest franchise at DC in Justice League. Leader of Justice dark book and has her own solo

3. Probably the most popular female comic character historically and Culturally iconic

4. Her solo consistently sells in 30,000 area or higher( only numbers we get to see) with 15,000 to 10,000 being the cancellation area for the big 2 companies

5. Has an animated movie coming out.

6. Is part of DC cartoon movies for Justice League and DC superhero girls.

7. Pretty good merchandising for example her halloween costume remains popular

Wonder Woman is fine, Don't compare her to Batman and Superman who are anomalies in comics. Other than Harley Quinn and maybe Catwoman(who batman popularity boosts) there isn't another female character in comics that is anywhere close to Wonder Woman in every area. They are not many male characters who are more productive than her either. She is part of group of 15 to 20 characters in comics that sell. She just isn't apart of the anomaly big guns like Batman,Superman,Spiderman and Wolverine. But she is in the next group with Iron Man,Black Panther ,Flash, Green Lantern, Venom, Deadpool,Hulk, Harley Quinn,etc.

What would be the most helpful thing for Wonder Woman consistency. Wonder Woman needs a big popular writer to take over and have a long run. And during this long run the writer needs to give definitive takes on her origin,her rogues gallery and amazons that people who come after will want to use and build upon. Also they need to revamp her suit in away that still appeals to old school comic fans but appeal females today I don't know what the answer to that is but when you hit sweet spot like Spider Gwen, Batgirl and Captain Marvel it real helps with your female fanbase. Last don't worry if you aren't Batman or Superman the amount characters that can consistently stay above 20,000 for 2 year period is small you can count on 2 hands and Wonder Woman with a good creative team is one of those characters. Wonder Woman doesn't need to be saved just tweaked/streamlined a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I could get on board with that, provided Aaron didn’t rehash Gorr again with Diana. His JaneThor was pretty good from what I hear.
    It was great and that's the problem. There's no reason Wonder Woman's world can't eventually be as well developed as Thor's. Misogyny is the only answer, whenever DC tries something new they dive head first into it like with Daddy Zeus, Azzarello's take and Jason. They need to think bigger, Wonder Woman's world needs expansion beyond adding more men.

I'm also a long time Hulk reader so using him as an example, it's baffling how many changes Bruce Banner has gone through along with his alter ego since I started with Peter David's grey Hulk. Marvel has come up with the Maestro, the Green Scar, World Breaker Hulk, Doc Green, the Devil Hulk, the Son of Hulk, Red Hulk, Professor Hulk, he's been replaced by Amadeus Cho, had Hercules take over his title, had his offspring rise to prominence and Banner came back from the dead as Immortal and as successful as ever.

Meanwhile in that same amount of time, despite her new origin, Diana remains mostly unaltered. Things happen but they're forgotten about quickly and we always go back to the status quo. Shake it up, stop playing it safe and wow us with new stuff while remaining true to her core character. We need world building by someone with specific long range goals the way Jason Aaron has expanded Asgard into a full blown major crossover War of the Realms.
    Last edited by Koriand'r; 03-26-2019 at 02:13 PM.