Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default What can save Wonder Woman and make her more of a valuable character in DC

If George Perez's take on Wonder Woman later caused more harm than good in the aftermath of COIE, then WHAT does it take to make Wonder Woman a valuable character in the overall DC and make her have a greater appearance beyond being in the Justice League and coming from the island of the Amazon ?

I mean what does DC have to do to give Wonder Woman a better chance at being a heroine and standing tall along side the other members of the Trinity ?

Her longevity in comics is one thing, but the lack of secondary titles can hurt more than it can help, right ?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    If George Perez's take on Wonder Woman later caused more harm than good in the aftermath of COIE, then WHAT does it take to make Wonder Woman a valuable character in the overall DC and make her have a greater appearance beyond being in the Justice League and coming from the island of the Amazon ?

I mean what does DC have to do to give Wonder Woman a better chance at being a heroine and standing tall along side the other members of the Trinity ?

Her longevity in comics is one thing, but the lack of secondary titles can hurt more than it can help, right ?
    It's pretty difficult to increase the popularity of Wonder Woman in comics, because it's a closed market (not much new readers can enter).

Regarding secondary titles, it's difficult that Wonder Woman can mantain these, especially because other members of the Wonder family aren't so popular. Batman can mantain these, because the popularity of Batman and Batfamily. However, Superman is struggling to mantain high sales in Superman and Action Comics (Supergirl has pretty low sales).
    Last edited by Konja7; 03-25-2019 at 06:39 AM.

Netflix animated 10 episode season.

If George Perez's take on Wonder Woman later caused more harm than good in the aftermath of COIE . . .
    I really don't agree with your opening premise here.

Wonder Woman had definitely been faltering prior to CoIE. George Pérez' relaunch of the character was definitely one that gave her more credibility.
    There was a major misstep in having Wonder Woman's first journeying to "man's world" from Themyscira taking place in (then) "present day" DC chronology, well after the Justice League had been established, etc., but I don't know how much of that was Pérez' fault/decision or if the blame falls on DC instead.
    (Hawkman was a victim of the same thing when DC decided to take the Hawkworld three-issue Prestige Format series and turn that into the Silver-/Bronze-Age Hawkman's origin story but keeping it in the "present-day" and not letting it take place in Hawkman's past. Superman got the benefit of his Man of Steel six-issue mini-series taking place prior to the "present day", but that luxury was not allowed for either Hawkman or Wonder Woman.)

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

"Save"

WW is in as strong a position as she possibly could be both in comics and mass media (movies).

Solo book, Justice League Dark, and Batman/WW Brave&Bold + JL appearances.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

If George Perez's take on Wonder Woman later caused more harm than good in the aftermath of COIE,
    If this is about the other thread concerning the Amazon's and technology, I really wouldn't take heed of what we're saying. Most people don't care and like the Amazons the way they currently are.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Netflix animated 10 episode season.
    This ^^^ on Netflix, but DC Universe wouldn’t hurt if that’s the only option. She needs three solid seasons with creators bringing their A game to revamp her costumed villains, concepts, and world.

Past that, there should be at least a second Wonder Woman title being printed, that does the same thing as I mentioned above for the animated series. Treat it like Superman the Animated Series that alien overtones, but a lot of different characters and stories: Toyman, Parasite, Live Wire, etc. The same can be done with Diana and mythological overtones, but still strike a balance with Doctor Cyber, Angle Man, Doctor Psycho, etc.

Retired

I would have thought the enormous success of Gal Gadot in WONDER WOMAN would have pushed the comic books to feature WW a lot more. And the Rebirth issues by Greg Rucka and Nicola Scott surely gave her a good launch.

I know that today's comic book readers aren't directly influenced by pop culture--being a very weird niche of consumers--but surely it helps. It's the success of Batman in other media that really made him the leading character for all of the comics. If the movie didn't save Wonder Woman, then I don't know what else could.

How much more groundswell of support does Wonder Woman need before she's a solid feature for the comics? One thing I do think DC needs to do is settle on what her origin and continuity should be and then stick to that.

It's already been said, but a cartoon, a big, awesome, action cartoon. In the vein of the old DCAU or Young Justice.

And while we're at it, a videogame wouldn't hurt none.

Comics no longer factor into it, for example, I'd bet good money most non-comic fans think All Star Superman is just that animated movie if they know of it at all, and that's about the most loved story Superman has ever had. Basically we could get the greatest Wonder Woman story ever told, and it wouldn't increase her popularity at all. But if the next movie can continue the success of the last one, that'd be help.

Honestly, I think we as comic book nerds give too much weight to comic book sales especially floppy sales. There are many other metrics that are just as if not more valuable to character's popularity/prominence. Like having a hit movie, or merchandise sales. There are lot of readers that forgo floppies for trades at bookstores and libraries. Diana is an international icon with a highly anticipated sequel coming. She is in a very good place.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    "Save"

WW is in as strong a position as she possibly could be both in comics and mass media (movies).

Solo book, Justice League Dark, and Batman/WW Brave&Bold + JL appearances.
    Yeah Diana is doing pretty great all things considered. The DCEU Trinity is WW, Aquaman, and Shazam.

Yeah, the comics book market is overrated here. Wonder Woman is arguably more of a cultural icon right now than she's ever been in her history, and that's thanks to Patty Jenkins and Gal Gadot.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by dreyga2000 View Post
    Honestly, I think we as comic book nerds give too much weight to comic book sales especially floppy sales. There are many other metrics that are just as if not more valuable to character's popularity/prominence. Like having a hit movie, or merchandise sales. There are lot of readers that forgo floppies for trades at bookstores and libraries. Diana is an international icon with a highly anticipated sequel coming. She is in a very good place.
    Just mention that this only apply to characters who are pretty popular outside comics. They don't depend of sales, because even if their comics flop, DC will try to save or relaunch their comics.

However, comics sales are pretty important for minor characters, since their comics can be cancelled with low sales and they are forgotten.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Yeah, some good movies, cartoons and video games are more important for her future than winning over more of the comics crowd. It's a niche market, especially the superhero side of it, and has too much competition with more satisfying forms of media.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I really don't agree with your opening premise here.

Wonder Woman had definitely been faltering prior to CoIE. George Pérez' relaunch of the character was definitely one that gave her more credibility.
    There was a major misstep in having Wonder Woman's first journeying to "man's world" from Themyscira taking place in (then) "present day" DC chronology, well after the Justice League had been established, etc., but I don't know how much of that was Pérez' fault/decision or if the blame falls on DC instead.
    I think rebooting in general causes more harm than good in the long run. We see it time and time again, and not just with Wonder Woman. Perez was just the one to do it, and it was an improvement on a lot of the stuff that was happening immediately prior. Any other WW reboot would have run into similar problems eventually, and Perez's take was no doubt better than some others we could have gotten.

Not setting it in the present was by far the worst decision, and it's not on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    If this is about the other thread concerning the Amazon's and technology, I really wouldn't take heed of what we're saying. Most people don't care and like the Amazons the way they currently are.
    Well they as they currently are have technology

The last take without tech was Azzarello's, which was...not great for a multitude of reasons. Perez's Amazons at least blow them out of the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yeah Diana is doing pretty great all things considered. The DCEU Trinity is WW, Aquaman, and Shazam.
    Might want to wait a bit longer before including him.
    The movie doesn't open until next month here in the U.S.