Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

I don't know if this is really out of the ordinary. There always seems to be some, imo.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Shazam apparently licensed some Bowie. Changes specifically.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Rock is dying. look at the billboard charts today vs 5, 10 years ago. There is a complete absence of rock. Most every thing today is "pop" music, rap is gone to give way to hip-hop that is becoming more popish, country music has pushed its way to more "southern pop". So I would say that other then listening to some youtube small rock band that the youth off today turns to "classic rock". Hopefully the interest will help push some of those really talented small bands to the forefront and and help give rock a new heart beat. Its sad that the top "rock" bands to day are Imagine Dragons and Maroon 5. It makes me think of what Patrick Carney said a while back "Rock 'n' roll is dying because people became OK with Nickelback being the biggest band in the world,"
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    Rock is dying. look at the billboard charts today vs 5, 10 years ago. There is a complete absence of rock. Most every thing today is "pop" music, rap is gone to give way to hip-hop that is becoming more popish, country music has pushed its way to more "southern pop". So I would say that other then listening to some youtube small rock band that the youth off today turns to "classic rock". Hopefully the interest will help push some of those really talented small bands to the forefront and and help give rock a new heart beat. Its sad that the top "rock" bands to day are Imagine Dragons and Maroon 5. It makes me think of what Patrick Carney said a while back "Rock 'n' roll is dying because people became OK with Nickelback being the biggest band in the world,"
    Practically all categories of popular music are suffering due to the way that music is distributed these days. Taylor Swift might be the most popular pop star of the past decade, but she can't move records the way that the stars of the 1950s-1990s did simply because the structural logistics of music distribution are completely different now, regardless of musical genre or relative merits of the artist (which are entirely separate issues).

Rock is not going to return to the commercial dominance it enjoyed for four or five decades beginning in the 1950s, but I see that as the result more of new structural realities in music distribution. However, all that is beside the point I'm making: that younger people, who grew up only knowing rock as the music of their parents' or even grandparents' youth, appear to be developing an interest in this musical heritage...to the point that they're seeking it out on their own without any input from the music industry, going as far as creating scores and scores of YouTube videos analyzing, discussing, and even playing the music. MyriVerse found nothing extraordinary about this phenomenon...examples as old as YouTube could probably be found, but I think there has been a noticeable uptick of such interest within the last year or two, and I think the use of older music in popular cinema has something to do with this increase.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

There is also the changing production conditions for music, especially with the larger labels. While they have always has attempted to weasel away as much money as they can from the creators, they have developed new methods that I think are more geared towards specific forms of music, and less so towards others. One of these is the rise of the dedicated songwriters, the greater use of studio musicians, and the greater use of electronic instrumentation.

So instead of the classic rock method of jamming together, and where the band develops the songs together, you have different sets of people who walk into the studio to perform an already prepared song. You can still create rock under those circumstances, but I imagine it is not a natural fit.

But if you go to the more indie music made today, you can still find plenty of rock-like stuff, because they still use the jamming-and-improvisation methods.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

BANNED

Nowadays with all the different streaming options, music never really just disappears from public view anymore, and even mediocre artists that would have been forgotten long ago still have their whole catalog available to anyone with internet access and can maintain a degree of interest. As for why rock specifically is becoming more popular nowadays, that probably has something to do with the general pattern of the nostalgia cycle. There are lots of people who grew up during the 80s and 90s listening to rock when it was ubiquitous, but later abandoned it for being stale and uncool and switched to listening to other genres of music. Now that those people are grown up now their perception of rock has come full circle and it's no longer something to be embarrassed about and more something to share with the younger generation.