Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Yeah, I think Ivan Reis is going to be remembered as the Jose Luis Garcia Lopez of this era of DC comics, and I don't say that lightly. Jose Luis Garcia Lopez is what DC looks like when I close my eyes

I totally agree with the bolded part of that statement, but I can't pick him as my favorite because I don't recall reading any runs with him as penciller and storytelling is a very important part of answering this question for me.

I am trying to think of who my #1 fav is and will have to get back to that when I can justify it in my mind....

Extraordinary Member

Dick Dillin

Amazing Member

Jim Aparo.

Adventure Comics, early Brave and Bold, Aquaman, Detective Comics all blew my mind in the 70's.

If we can add a Modern favorite, it'd be Doug Mahnke.

David Mazzucchelli - and it only took him four issues to do it!

BANNED

J.H. Williams III.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Dick Dillin

Love this pick, pretty over looked great artist.

Astonishing Member

George Perez best there is...Period
    Ivan Reis favorite all time GL artist
    Darryl Banks favorite part of the Kyle Rayner era and creator of the kick butt Parallax armor (Super Sayian Hal Jordan)
    Steve Lightle when I think of what a Legion of Super Heroes artist should be I think him
    Neal Adams when I close my eyes and think of my fave DC comics of my youth I see Neal Adams drawing GL and LSH

Probably Joe Bennett:

Admittedly, he's got a streak of cheesecake to his work, but I like cheesecake. It's good. Plus, he's a more traditional "comic book" artist in that his characters are all pretty and his actions sequences are loud and frenetic. And darn it if I don't like my superhero comics to look like superhero comics!

A close runner-up, though, is Rags Morales:

Guy's pencil work is absolutely outstanding, and while his characters are a lot less pretty than Bennett's, they're still attractive to look at. Really, Morales's art looks like actual art to me, that just happens to appear in comic books. I'm honestly baffled that he doesn't get more work than he does.
    Batman: I need your help finding a man named Vulko.
    Hawkman: You want him dead or alive?
    - Justice League #17

Jim Balent. He isn't the best artist in the world, there are obvious flaws. But I enjoyed his style and how appealing he made the characters look.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Yeah, I think Ivan Reis is going to be remembered as the Jose Luis Garcia Lopez of this era of DC comics, and I don't say that lightly. Jose Luis Garcia Lopez is what DC looks like when I close my eyes

This. If I could only look at one artists rendition of the DCU for the rest of my life, it'd have to be JL-GL's.

George Perez is a close second though. He's drawn everyone, and there isn't one character he can't do right.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

You almost have to give it to Perez and Garcia Lopez. They ARE DC. However, Dan Jurgans did a lot of good stuff in a long period of time. Manke has to be up there with Reis as modern greats. Dick Dillon, Jerry Ordway and Howard Porter should get honorable mentions.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Jim Balent. He isn't the best artist in the world, there are obvious flaws. But I enjoyed his style and how appealing he made the characters look.
    I would class him as one of the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I totally agree with the bolded part of that statement, but I can't pick him as my favorite because I don't recall reading any runs with him as penciller and storytelling is a very important part of answering this question for me.

Yeah, it's unquestionably iconic, and it's what I consider the definitive take on how the DC heroes "look." But I can't say it's my favorite. I'd probably give that honor to Swan, Grummett and Kesel and the criminally underrated Kurt Schaffenberger.

Retired

I'd probably pick Swan or Schaffenberger as my second choices, after Infantino. But Curt and Kurt did most of their work for the Superman family--although they had other things to their credit, as well. Carmine was involved with every character, virtually every genre (super-hero, war, western, sci-fi, mystery, humour), and co-created a great lot of the DC heroes. And he re-designed and re-vitalized many more--Batman not least of these.

He was at the forefront of the change in comics art from what it was in the 1940s to what it is today--being a protege of Sheldon Mayer, Infantino in turn influenced many of the artists that he brought into the company, including Neal Adams and Keith Giffin. He had worked for Joe Simon and Jack Kirby early in his career and then, years later, hired them back into the company on the strength of his relationship with them.

He hired Dick Giordano, Steve Ditko and Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez. He was responsible for switching Dick Dillin from Blackhawk (the character Dick had been dedicated to for most of his career) to the Justice League of America. He drew many of the great covers and later designed the covers that other artists (like Adams and Nick Cardy) completed. His visual story-telling is a master class in how to lay out a story and keep the reader's attention.

He brought in a lot of young talent in the early 1970s, like Walt Simonson, Michael Kaluta, Bernie Wrightson and Howard Chaykin. And with Joe Orlando went to the Philippines to bring in many Filipino artists, such as Nestor Redondo and Alfredo Alcala. He gave artists like Orlando, Kubert, Sekowsky, Simon, Kirby and Giordano the chance to be editors for the company, where they could be in control of the creative process.

His work on Adam Strange with Murphy Anderson is some of the most beautiful comics that I've ever seen. And he co-created Ralph and Sue Dibny. There's not a comic published by DC that doesn't have some of Infantino's DNA in it.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I'll have to think really hard about this since there are a few overlapping "styles". A run through my collection is probably the only way I will be able to elect someone. I'm leaning towards something Bronze Age in my mind's eye though, that's also something similar to Adams or Aparo. Yet I also love Rags Morales. Idk.