lacaca

Default New member here and just getting back into Comics again

I recently started reading comics again. The Old Man Logan storyline by Millar single handedly got me into reading comic books again. Since then I have read the Punisher Max series and they were just as incredible. Since comixology is having a huge Memorial Day Sale on DC graphic novels I decided I'd like to get some DC stuff.

When I stopped reading comics about 13 (?) years ago I was getting really sick and tired of Batman. While I know things may have changed and he probably has really great writers I was wondering if yo guys can suggest some stuff to me other than Batman comics. Since I liked Aquaman from that Justice League movie I was hoping to ask you guys how his current Rebirth comics are and if reading the New 52 line is a must to understand his whole story. If there are any other titles you guys can suggest for DC I would greatly appreciate it if you guys can send them my way..... Just preferably not Batman (but it's not a deal breaker lol)

Quote Originally Posted by lacaca View Post
    I recently started reading comics again. The Old Man Logan storyline by Millar single handedly got me into reading comic books again. Since then I have read the Punisher Max series and they were just as incredible. Since comixology is having a huge Memorial Day Sale on DC graphic novels I decided I'd like to get some DC stuff.

When I stopped reading comics about 13 (?) years ago I was getting really sick and tired of Batman. While I know things may have changed and he probably has really great writers I was wondering if yo guys can suggest some stuff to me other than Batman comics. Since I liked Aquaman from that Justice League movie I was hoping to ask you guys how his current Rebirth comics are and if reading the New 52 line is a must to understand his whole story. If there are any other titles you guys can suggest for DC I would greatly appreciate it if you guys can send them my way..... Just preferably not Batman (but it's not a deal breaker lol)
    Hi and welcome back!

My recommendations (based on personal preference and general popularity are)
    A lot of Geoff Johns books. He is great modernising older characters but keeping their core traits and introducing them to new readers. His Flash, Green Lantern and his n52 Aquaman and very much recommended.
    I would also recommend Gotham Central. It's about Gotham cops, who are just as fed up Batman as you are One of the best non Batman bat books and over all just a great crime series.
    For self contained stories: New Frontier, Superman for all seasons, All Star Superman, Brubaker's Catwoman.

Also non DC continuity and non superhero books, but the Vertigo/Wildstorm stables have some exquisite series like: Sleeper, Planetary, The authority, Y the last man, Ex machina, Scalped, Lucifer, Transmetropolitan etc.

Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

I agree with Balakin regarding Geoff Johns. His run on Green Lantern is what I'd initially recommend, but the guy has written TONS of material over the last 15 years. His run on JSA also immediately comes to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by lacaca View Post

New52 is Globaly soso, but not all is bad:

NEW 52
    * Flashpoint - (start of the New52 era)
    * Aquaman New52 tpb#1-2 + Justice League: Throne of Atlantis + Aquaman New52 #3-8
    * Green Arrow New52 tpb #1-9
    * Flash New52 tpb#1-4
    * Wonder Woman New52 tpb #1-9
    * Justice League: Trinity War + Forever Evil + Justice League: Forever Heroes + Forever Evil: Blight + Justice League: Darkseid War
    * Justice League Dark #9-23 (the issues written by Jeff Lemire)
    * Swamp Thing tpb #1-3 + Animal Man #1-3 <- Up to the Rotworld Crossover, then you can continue the series at your wish (I liked them)

PREQUEL TO REBIRTH
    * Titan Hunt
    * Superman: The Las Days of Superman + Superman: Lois & Clark
    * Watchmen (the one by Alan Moore) <- should be known for DC Univers Rebirth and Doomsday Clock

REBIRTH
    * DC Univers Rebirth
    * Teen Titans: The Return of Wally West <- sequel to DC Univers Rebirth
    * Aquaman tpb#1-now <- must have read the New52 before
    * Superman and Action Comics tpb#1-now <- million times better than during the New52 era and I loved the Oz stroyline
    * Super Sons tpb #1-4
    * New Superman #1-3 + New Super-Man and the Justice League of China
    * Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps #1-now <- hard to start because lots is going on, but you catch up easily
    * Doomsday Clock <- DC Event that is still ongoing
    * Deathstroke tpb#1-now

AS FOR BATMAN NEW 52 (read at least)
    * Batman New tpb#1-2 <- the Court of Owl Storyline
    * Nightwing New52 tpb#1-5 + (Forever Evil) + Grayson #1-5
    * We Are Robin #1-2
    * Batman Inc. + Batman & Robin New52 #1-3 + Batman Inc. New52 + Batman & Robin New52 tpb#4-7 <- very good storyline and very well written

AS FOR OTHER RECENT BATMAN
    * Batman: White Knight
    * Lil'l Gotham <- very fun
    * Batman, the dark Knight New52 tpb#2 and 4