Spectacular Member FreakyFraser's Avatar

Default Anyone else dislike dust jackets?

While opening a new book I ordered today (Frank Miller Daredevil Companion Omni), I realized I liked it on my shelf better without the dust jacket on and that got me thinking. I've never really liked dust jackets anyway, so I removed all the dust jackets from all my hard covers, Premiere Editions, OHC, Omnis and even the Absolutes that had them. It was quite interesting.......some were pretty plain (a couple Marvel Ultimate Omnis), the Marvel Premiere Editions are flat black with metallic blue lettering that looks really nice, some replicate the dust jacket but without the gloss (Daredevil Omnis....Bendis Crime Noir Omni), the Colossal Conans look great with the larger writing, and The Vision and Planetary Omni have plain dust jackets hiding beautiful covers.

I think it looks better and my books feel just a little more accessible now. I don't know......maybe it's just me.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

As you mentioned, the plethora of plain, flat, black cardboard covers prevents me from displaying my books without the dust jacket.

That said, I'd be all for the Big 2 moving toward covers with actual art, and ditching dust jackets altogether.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I prefer an actual cover to a dust jacket, but as mentioned, a lot of books with dust jackets have a plan cover.
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Dust Jackets are horrible. Just a way to be cheap on the cover. I prefer Archives without the ugly dust jackets.

I certainly don't have tons of Omnis.......but if lots were like my Ultimates Omni (black with silver foil stamp) I could see not liking the look. A little institutional if you had 30+ books looking like that. I have a few scattered throughout my collection......and like I said, some are hiding greatness under the dusk jacket. All my dust jackets are in a box now. We'll see what the next few Omnis look like.......Infinity by Starlin & Hickman (which has a nice simple Thanos dust), ordered the Sleeper Omni and a few Batman Deluxe HCs, and way down the road Batman by Snyder & Capullo. They'll have to be pretty ugly at this point for me to stop removing the dust jackets. When I get back from ATL I'll post a pic of how they look

Spectacular Member

I like them so much I cover my dust jackets!
    EC99F630-A263-4CE1-AF5F-22B790A0B984.jpg

I prefer the DC Earth One HCs

Anybody knows what it's called?

Incredible Member CrazyOldHermit's Avatar

I don't like them at all.
    Miller was right.

I donate my jackets to the thrift store. I figure someone will wear them. Terrible joke aside, yes. I hate them. Looking at my shelf, they're found only on my vertigo hardcovers. Everything else has the lovely artwork printed onto the cardboard. Some of the vertigo hc has some great artwork hidden under the dustjacket, but others (Y the Last Man, Sweet Tooth) have nothing interesting going on underneath.

I love my dust jackets.............. I adore them and cherish them and pamper them
    because they cover and protect the beautiful covers underneath......... when they exist
    and spare me the agony of all those black on black D C Omnibuses

I like them! I think it looks very good on a shelf. Always remove them to read though (can't understand people that reads OHC/Omni with the dust jacket on).

I've found that some of my recent Marvel purchases have to have them on......just black or white underneath......no lettering at all on some. Same for some recent DC Deluxe Editions.

Incredible Member

I do, I take them off while I'm reading as they slip up and down too much, and then as I take them on and off they get all tatty.