Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default New Batwoman Book?

Has there been any word from DC concerning a new limited or ongoing Batwoman series?

I would think a new one might be in the works now that Kate Kane is getting a TV series on The CW.

Astonishing Member

It's pretty difficult that Batwoman will have a solo. Batwoman comic had pretty low sales, so the character can't mantain a solo.

Even if the TV series is successful, it will be pretty unlikely this will translate in comic sales.

I guess it's more possible DC put Batwoman in a team book.
    Last edited by Konja7; 03-26-2019 at 09:42 AM.

I wouldn't mind Batwoman being in a team book.

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    It's pretty difficult that Batwoman will have a solo. Batwoman comic had pretty low sales, so the character can't mantain a solo.
    Uh, yes she can. The most recent series not doing so well despite its quality is not indicative of that. Her New 52 series did very well, and she's plenty strong enough of a character anyway.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

A solo ongoing might be hard, but a mini or graphic novel or something would be nice. Give any fans of the new show just one nice new story to by. I mean expecting tv show fans to come in to support a monthly comic series is a bad idea, but the show could help boost the sales of a new GN or a collected trade of some mini.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    Uh, yes she can. The most recent series not doing so well despite its quality is not indicative of that. Her New 52 series did very well, and she's plenty strong enough of a character anyway.
    It's a perfect indicative of that.

Even if Batwoman could mantain a solo at first, her comic sales were not good at the end. That means the character can't mantain a solo now.

Something would need to change for Batwoman to be a good seller again.

As I said, a TV series would not help, since its popularity does not usually translate into comic sales.
    Last edited by Konja7; 03-26-2019 at 10:56 AM.

As I said, a TV series would not help, since its popularity does not usually translate into comic sales.
    When you say comic sales, do you mean sales of floppies, or of all comics (floppies and trades)? The market for trades is far more approachable to new readers.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

The Batwoman series, once it airs, will bring more attention to the character. Some of which will also include those looking into the comics for the first time.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    When you say comic sales, do you mean sales of floppies, or of all comics (floppies and trades)? The market for trades is far more approachable to new readers.
    In general, it doesn't seem the popularity of a TV series or movies help the comic sales. This is because comics are a closed market.

However, I don't know a lot about trades, so I don't know how good is this for new readers. Although, so far, the sales of trades shouldn't be so different from the sales of floppies.

Extraordinary Member

I also think that fans of the TV will probably more likely pick up trades than Floppies. As a non comic book fan it is kind of hard to find a good jumping on point for floppies.

Echoing Caivu here. It is true she lost some momentum when the original New 52 creators left the series.

Batwoman will of course be back. And she absolutely should be in a team book or have more appearances where she teams up with other characters.

Quote Originally Posted by karatattoo View Post
    Has there been any word from DC concerning a new limited or ongoing Batwoman series?

I would think a new one might be in the works now that Kate Kane is getting a TV series on The CW.
    One would think so . . .
    . . . but nobody ever can prove people at DC "think".

When the Supergirl TV series first started (on CBS, not the lowly CW), DC was slow to get anything out (new comic book-wise) for that.

In general, it doesn't seem the popularity of a TV series or movies help the comic sales. This is because comics are a closed market.

However, I don't know a lot about trades, so I don't know how good is this for new readers. Although, so far, the sales of trades shouldn't be so different from the sales of floppies.
    At least trade paperback collections are more easily accessible (at least here in the U.S.) through store chains like Barnes & Noble and Books a Million since DC no longer seems toproduce single-issue comic books for newsstand distribution here in the U.S. And don't forget digital-options for comic books, which you can easily direct viewers to through a TV show.

It's a perfect indicative of that.

Even if Batwoman could mantain a solo at first, her comic sales were not good at the end. That means the character can't mantain a solo now.
    No, it isn't. Batwoman as a character is more than strong enough to maintain a solo. In the New 52, sales dropped off because Andreyko's run was bad, along with the team change just on its own. The Rebirth run was good, but just didn't gain enough traction. DC did almost zero promotion for it, and actively misrepresented at least one issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Echoing Caivu here. It is true she lost some momentum when the original New 52 creators left the series.
    Exactly. Lots of people jumped ship right after the whole marriage debacle, never to return. It's not a matter of the character herself at all.
    Last edited by Caivu; 03-26-2019 at 02:36 PM.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Edit: oops

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    No, it isn't. Batwoman as a character is more than strong enough to maintain a solo. In the New 52, sales dropped off because Andreyko's run was bad, along with the team change just on its own. The Rebirth run was good, but just didn't gain enough traction. DC did almost zero promotion for it, and actively misrepresented at least one issue.
    Even if it is because there was a mishandling from DC and the audience did not return in Rebirth, this does not change that Batwoman has poor sales at the end. This is what matters to DC.

I've even say something need to change for Batwoman become a good seller again.

In fact, what you say just proves my point, Batwoman does not sell, because her comic lost its readers and it can't recover them with Rebirth either. So, Batwoman can't mantain a solo now.
    Last edited by Konja7; 03-26-2019 at 04:07 PM.