Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Retired

I always have it in mind to one day buy every DC book that was published in 1967 and read them all in the order they came out. The other periods that interest me are 1971-72, when DC did all the 52 pages for 25 cents comics. And the 1974 period when a great number of titles were 100 pages for 60 cents. Maybe if I ever sell off/give away most of my collection--I'll just focus on getting complete collections from those years.

Post crisis Batman and Superman for me.
    Collects
    80's 90's Post Crisis Era
    Eaglemoss DC Graphic Novels Collection
    New 52 (discontinued)
    DC Rebirth
    DC Black Label

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I always have it in mind to one day buy every DC book that was published in 1967 and read them all in the order they came out. The other periods that interest me are 1971-72, when DC did all the 52 pages for 25 cents comics. And the 1974 period when a great number of titles were 100 pages for 60 cents. Maybe if I ever sell off/give away most of my collection--I'll just focus on getting complete collections from those years.
    I kinda do this. I’m currently working on amassing all of the DC books I enjoy reading from 1980 (year I was born), up to Crisis. So far I’ve completed my collection of Superman, Action, New Teen Titans, JLA, Green Lantern, and nearly have Batman, Tec, and Wonder Woman.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

My faves......the one that started it all for me.

I know that a lot of comic fans don't consider this book in DC continuity (I think because they didn't want characters like Wendy, Marvin, Zan & Jayna as official DC characters) but I thought the book was well written, introduced me to characters like Supergirl, Black Orchid, Mera, and others. It also did a good job with character development, specifically with the Twins.

The book often cited other books, and after it was canceled, I was still into comics, and moved on to Green Lantern, JLA, New Teen Titans, and some issues of LoSH, so I guess you could say Super Friends was my gateway into the comic world.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by CellarDweller View Post
    My faves......the one that started it all for me.

I thought the book was well written, introduced me to characters like Supergirl, Black Orchid, Mera, and others. It also did a good job with character development, specifically with the Twins.
    I'm glad you mentioned Mera because this book introduced me to her as well. I came to love her immediately because of this book. Nice memories.

The Goodwin/Simonson Manhunter
    Gerard Jones's El Diablo
    Micheline/Newton Star Hunters (wish this one had lasted a little longer)
    O'Neil/Kaluta The Shadow
    O'Neil/Adams Batman
    O'Neil/Adams Green Lantern/Green Arrow
    Englehart/Rodgers Batman

Sandy Hausler
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    I'm glad you mentioned Mera because this book introduced me to her as well. I came to love her immediately because of this book. Nice memories.
    I think Super Friends was the first comic to introduce me to married super heroes. I remember reading about Aquaman/Mera and Hawkman/Hawkwoman in the book and thinking it was a cool idea to see super heroes married to each other.

speaking of comics of yesterday....why are some on twitter saying that TODAY is batman's birthday? Detective comics #27 was released on May 1, 1939...not march 30th,
    or am I wrong?

Retired

According to Mike's Amazing World, issue 27 went on sale approximately April 18, 1939. I tend to trust Mike over others. But last year, I was saying that ACTION COMICS 1 went on sale May 3, 1938 (as Mike has it)--and no one would believe me.

The thing is people use all kinds of different data points for the dates. The comics had to be registered with the Library of Congress, before they went on sale. And it happens that 27 was registered on March 30--but that doesn't mean you could buy a physical copy on that date. In fact, wouldn't it be stupid to register the comic only after it had been printed and shipped? It had to come out after March 30 if that's the date it was registered.

I really liked Space Ranger when I was a little kid. Later on Metal Men became one of my favorites.