Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Favourite DC comics from Yesteryear

This is something I was thinking about earlier today but what is the series you all go back to no matter what is going on in other comics or in your personal lives?

For me its the original Roy Thomas INFINITY INC. This is a title I read at least 3 times a year and I still think a lot of it holds up today. I was wondering how many others were like this?

By yesteryear (which yes I know is a very indistinct time!) I think I'm talking about titles before the 1990s (or maybe its just the decade before you got into comics, I haven't really worked out the criteria....)

I think it came out around 90 or so, but I frequently return to the 5YL Legion of Super-Heroes, specifically the first dozen issues or so.

Also, but less so, those Perez issues of "JLA."

Amazing Member

I enjoy a lot of old comics. "Ghosts" & "The Witching Hour" hold up really well. "Green Lantern/Green Arrow" too.

Retired

I have so many others comics I want to get around to reading, that I don't want to waste time reading comics that I already read back in the day. But if I ever want to go back to the calm still centre of my universe then I would read DETECTIVE COMICS Nos. 361 - 369. Those are the holiest of holy in my personal mythology.

I liked some of the odder more different books. The first few issues of Thriller were extraordinary. Denny O'Neil's Question was amazing as well, especially with how well it worked with Green Arrow and sometimes even Batman. Speaking of Ollie, the Grell run took him into a darker more real life setting and he STILL got a warlord tam-up out of it.

I liked the variety in GLCorps Quarterly as well as the variety of stories in Batman Black and White in the back of one of the Batman books (Gotham Nights?)

Giffen's Ambush Bug was pure fun. Trying to fit it into anywhere else was a foolish endeavor. And the DeMatteis/Giffen/Maguire JLI books were funny as well, but still gave you the idea these were actual superheroes.

Goodwin and Simonson's Manhunter, Robinson's Starman both brought Golden Age characters to a new level. Even though Roy Thomas is a Golden Age God among comic professionals, these two series shined so brightly.

Astonishing Member

All- Star Squadron, from say around issue 14 to 50 when it became a defacto JSA book, Per Degaton, Ian Karkull, Adolf Hitler, and the Ultra Humanity (the lady and the ape), plus the origin of Infinity Inc. For me it was the JSA's best run until Geoff's modern take.

Astonishing Member

I have a fond space in my heart for Booster Gold, Captain Atom, Firestorm, the JLI, Green Lantern.

And Who's Who.

The Wolfman/Perez run on New Teen Titans. Also, the second series of Secret Origins (especially the Gotham special from 1989).
    Last edited by K7P5V; 03-27-2019 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Corrected grammatical errors.

BANNED

John Byne's Superman, Action Comics, and Man of Steel, Steve Englehart's Green Lantern and Green Lantern Corps, Sam Hamm and Denys Cowan's Blind Justice story line in Detective Comics, kinda' George Perez's Wonder Woman.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

I do this all the time. I’m currently reading up on the Levitz LoSH, with art by Giffen, Lightle, LaRocque, Giffen, LEGION, 5YL, all the way up to Zero Hour.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Incredible Member

Definitely All-Star Squadron, Young All-Stars, and Infinity Inc.

Boisterously Confused

Pretty much everything DC did from 1984 and 1989.

All-Star Squadron and Infinity Inc being special standouts. The relaunch of Superman also deserves special mention; if not perfect, it was bold.

Wally West's Era as the Flash, Dick Grayson's time as Batman, Smallville Season 11
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike
    DARK HORSE: Bill and Ted are doomed.
    IMAGE: The Walking Dead: Deluxe

Here's a handful of DC books I keep returning to no matter what...

Mike Grell's Warlord
    Goodwin & Simonson's Manhunter
    DC Mystery titles (House of Mystery/House of Secrets/Ghosts/Unexpected etc.)
    Darwyn Cooke's DC New Frontier
    DC war books (Our Army at War/Sgt. Rock, Star Spangled War Stories/Unknown Soldier, etc.)
    Ostrander/Mandrake's Spectre
    Fleisher/Aparo Spectre
    Giffen/DeMatteis/Maguire Justice League
    Siegel & Shuster Superman
    1st Issue Special 9 and Dr. Fate backs up in Flash by Giffen collected in Immortal Dr. Fate reprint series
    Wein/Wrightson Swamp Thing
    Moore's Swamp Thing
    Gaiman's Sandman
    Kirby's Fourth World
    the Amethyst,Princess of Gemworld maxi-series
    Matt Wagner's Madame Xanadu

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Extraordinary Member

These are my go-to books I keep re-reading. Although I didn't include it in the numbering, some of these include Annuals, Secret Files, crossovers, and special issues.

Justice League of America #139-150 by Steve Englehart, Paul Levitz, & Dick Dillin
    Justice League of America #161-200 by Gerry Conway, Dick Dillin, & George Perez
    Legion of Super Heroes #288 - 306 by Paul Levitz and Keith Giffen
    Legion of Super Heroes Baxter #1-63 by Paul Levitz, Keith Giffen, Steve Lightle, & Greg LaRocque
    New Teen Titans (or Tales of) #1-55; Baxter 1-6 by Marv Wolfman and George Perez
    JLI #1-24; JLA #25-60; JLE #1-35 by Keith Giffen, JM Dematteis, Gerard Jones, Kevin Maguire, Adam Hughes, & Bart Sears
    The Long Halloween by Jeph Loeb & Tim Sale
    Kingdom Come by Mark Waid & Alex Ross
    JSA #1-25 by James Robinson, David Goyer, Geoff Johns, Stephen Sadowski, & Michael Bair