Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

I enjoyed the Dini/Nguyen story best, followed by the Snyder/Capullo one. For $10 though, I was pretty underwhelmed.

I like the POV the narrator in the final story has about Batman, but the character reveal and design isn’t intriguing to me. Maybe it’ll get better as the mystery of the character unfolds.

My 2¢ - they need to rethink how they do these anniversary/issue milestones issues.

Also: THERE’S NO BATFAMILY WITHOUT FLAMEBIRD! (I do not recognize “Hawkfire.”) Save Bette Kane!

(She’s a personal favorite of mine.)

General Thoughts:

- I thought it was fitting that the issue started with a detective story, and of course, it being a Scott Snyder detective story it involves some convoluted investigating and comes back to a secret society. I think "detective club" has a better ring to it then something like a "guild," and it was kind of weird to see Slam Bradley act like he and Batman have never met before even if it was fitting for him to be the "point man" of the group.

- So Batgirl was the Brody with the Wonderland Gang? Then who was the Batgirl that seemingly "arrested" him since it sounded like she was in the costume right up until they were all behind bars? Or did she make the switch with someone else before they were carted away? And can we get Paul Dini and Dustin Nguyen back on a Batman book?

- "Return to Crime Alley" felt like every unnecessary sequel ever, just regurgitating the same points of the original but nowhere near as effectively. Steve Epting is always nice to see on a Batman story though.

- Neal Adams' retro art definitely did not fit Priest's story, and I'm surprised Batman didn't make any effort to capture the assassin who killed her brother. I guess the thought that Batman was able to help someone get out of the League of Assassins is a nice thought even if at the end he couldn't do much but threaten and pontificate towards their killer.

- Ellis did a pretty solid "Batman takes everybody down in cool and creative ways" story even if at some points I was wondering whether he was having his own fun with Batman's "ridiculous" code against killing.

- Kevin Smith really wants to emphasize the thought process that the yellow oval is a target for villains.

- I don't even know what Johns was trying to get at with his story.

- I appreciated the sentiment of King's story. I guess your mileage may vary on King's dialogue but personally he has the same issue I have with Brian Michael Bendis where he writes characters in this generic witty and quippy voice that can seem pretty indistinguishable from each other, especially in a page that's all dialogue boxes. Damian sounded a little off, Jason sounded pretty off (but he always is in this kind of stuff), Batgirl is once again portrayed as unnecessarily confrontational, and Catwoman's only lines are what King pretty much always has her say. I did really like Tony Daniel's art though.

- When Tynion condenses things down he does a better job of celebrating and portraying what Robin and Dick Grayson means to Batman and the mythos then Batman and Robin: Eternal did overall in my opinion.

- The Arkham Knight story just felt like an excuse for a tie-in to an ongoing book and to do some pinups, but at the pinups were nice to look at. That one of Batman fighting Catwoman in her current look and Ivy in a new one felt kind of random though. And this version of the Arkham Knight juts reminds me of Wrath in terms of being a Batman pastiche with an inverted view of Batman's war on criminals.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    So Batgirl was the Brody with the Wonderland Gang? Then who was the Batgirl that seemingly "arrested" him since it sounded like she was in the costume right up until they were all behind bars? Or did she make the switch with someone else before they were carted away? And can we get Paul Dini and Dustin Nguyen back on a Batman book?
    I was under the impression that the Brody for the Hatter's case was Bruce. It was pretty clearly laid out that Alfred was Joker and Harley's Brody, Batgirl was Ridler's Brody, and Nightwing was Poison Ivy's Brody, so that leaves Bruce if everyone gets a turn. I know Brody was used in more instances that also could have been Bruce, but I think it works for the story that he's the fourth.

I appreciated the sentiment of King's story. I guess your mileage may vary on King's dialogue but personally he has the same issue I have with Brian Michael Bendis where he writes characters in this generic witty and quippy voice that can seem pretty indistinguishable from each other, especially in a page that's all dialogue boxes. Damian sounded a little off, Jason sounded pretty off (but he always is in this kind of stuff), Batgirl is once again portrayed as unnecessarily confrontational, and Catwoman's only lines are what King pretty much always has her say. I did really like Tony Daniel's art though.
    Upon reread, I was able to follow who said what right up until they start lining up for the photo, after which it gets rather indistinguishable, but I don't think it matters all that much there.
    Last edited by Pohzee; 04-04-2019 at 08:31 PM.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    I was under the impression that the Brody for the Hatter's case was Bruce. It was pretty clearly laid out that Alfred was Joker and Harley's Brody, Batgirl was Ridler's Brody, and Nightwing was Poison Ivy's Brody, so that leaves Bruce if everyone gets a turn. I know Brody was used in more instances that also could have been Bruce, but I think it works for the story that he's the fourth.
    I figured out most of those, but didn't Barbara complain about having to get out of a GCPD lockup in the Wonderland costume? I may have been mis-remembering...

I figured out most of those, but didn't Barbara complain about having to get out of a GCPD lockup in the Wonderland costume? I may have been mis-remembering...
    Just when back and checked. She said that getting beaten up was [/i]probably[i] less painful than sneaking out of the GCPD, to which Bruce replies, so I think it's safe to assume its him.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    Just when back and checked. She said that getting beaten up was [/i]probably[i] less painful than sneaking out of the GCPD, to which Bruce replies, so I think it's safe to assume its him.
    Ah, okay, cool. Thanks for clarifying that .

The Bruce Timm cover is even nicer in person. Looks great.

All-New Member

I missed the boat with this issue. But I see, they released a nice deluxe hardcover with an additional story and extras. Is this worth a pick up?

Quote Originally Posted by Jackybones View Post
    I missed the boat with this issue.
    Was your comic book shop sold out of it?

I'm pretty sure my comic book shop still had copies on their shelves when I was last there a week or two ago.

So is this Guild of Detecting (what a horrible name of a guild. "Detectives Guild" would have been miles better) thread started up by Scott Snyder supposed to get picked up somewhere? I haven't read past Detective #1000 (and just the first story).

I'm a big fan of The Question and I'm hoping he'll show up somewhere. Though I see The Question more as a reporter with killer martial arts chops than a detective. I think he'd be a better fit in the Lois Lane book. Either way, I'll follow Vic where I can find him. So, do we have any idea about the ugild and where it'll crop up. I quickly scanned #1001 and it doesn't look like it has anything to do with any Guild of Detecting.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
    . . . I'm a big fan of The Question and I'm hoping he'll show up somewhere. Though I see The Question more as a reporter with killer martial arts chops than a detective . . .
    You don't think a reporter, especially an investigative reporter, doesn't do any "detecting" in their job?

Vic Sage isn't they type of reporter who just rewrites press releases.

Yes he does detecting but he is not a detective first. There is a difference between a journalist and a detective.

From wikipedia: Detective = A detective is an investigator, usually a member of a law enforcement agency. They often collect information to solve crime by talking to witnesses and informants, collecting physical evidence, or searching records in databases. This leads them to arrest criminals and allow them to be convicted in court. A detective may work for the police or privately.

Journalist = A journalist is a person who collects, writes, or distributes news or other current information to the public.

Yes he does detecting but he is not a detective first. There is a difference between a journalist and a detective.

From wikipedia: Detective = A detective is an investigator, usually a member of a law enforcement agency. They often collect information to solve crime by talking to witnesses and informants, collecting physical evidence, or searching records in databases. This leads them to arrest criminals and allow them to be convicted in court. A detective may work for the police or privately.

Journalist = A journalist is a person who collects, writes, or distributes news or other current information to the public.
    So, are you saying Hawkman, Hawkgirl, Martian Manhunter, Elongated Man, and Traci Thirteen are all "detectives" but Vic Sage isn't anywhere near their levels of finding things out?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    So, are you saying Hawkman, Hawkgirl, Martian Manhunter, Elongated Man, and Traci Thirteen are all "detectives" but Vic Sage isn't anywhere near their levels of finding things out?
    That's not even close to what I said.

That's not even close to what I said.
    Well, since you said
    . . . I'm a big fan of The Question and I'm hoping he'll show up somewhere. Though I see The Question more as a reporter with killer martial arts chops than a detective. I think he'd be a better fit in the Lois Lane book. Either way, I'll follow Vic where I can find him. So, do we have any idea about the ugild and where it'll crop up. I quickly scanned #1001 and it doesn't look like it has anything to do with any Guild of Detecting.
    and

but you never raised any objections to the qualifications of any other members of that group, wouldn't that seem to say Vic Sage is the only one you consider not qualified to be labeled as a "detective"?

Why even bother to degrade Vic's abilities to do any detecting unless you feel the others are better qualified to be considered "detectives"?