Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    uh oh

uh oh

uh oh
    Not to mention the Scriers...

Maybe it’s Spider-Osborn harnessing the power of the Inheritors.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Well there was Judas Traveller...
    wasn't he just some self-deluded mutant?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    wasn't he just some self-deluded mutant?
    I was more talking conceptually as in, “this plot’s been done before”.

Okay, I'm probably going to get a lot of disagreement on this, or least some interesting discussion, but I'm going to be honest. As much as I thought ASM #18 (#819) was very well written as usual, I didn't "love" this comic. There's a reason why which I try to explain. Here's a clue: it has to do with a certain Thomas Hobbes quote.

Stillanerd Reviews: Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 5 No. 18 review
    --Mike McNulty, a.k.a. Stillanerd. Contributor for Bam Smack Pow! and Viral Hare
    Previous Articles for Whatever A Spider Can.
    Previous Articles for Spider-Man Crawlspace.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by stillanerd View Post
    Okay, I'm probably going to get a lot of disagreement on this, or least some interesting discussion, but I'm going to be honest. As much as I thought ASM #18 (#819) was very well written as usual, I didn't "love" this comic. There's a reason why which I try to explain. Here's a clue: it has to do with a certain Thomas Hobbes quote.

While I thoroughly disagree with your notion that

For how can one “love” something that wraps itself in doom and gloom regardless of the level of its craft?
    I do respect your reviews overall.

1st I've loved and I imagine others have loved entirely depressing movies/books/tv shows etc., there's obviously an audience for it (Se7en is one of my all time favorites). I don't even think that's an arguable point.

2nd I didn't think this was all that depressing or doom and gloom.
    Perhaps it's because I've seen heroes overcome worse situations. Perhaps it's because, as others have mentioned, there are so many outs for a number of characters that I believe the actual death toll will be rather low, or perhaps it's because I can't even see this situation as all that doom and gloom, even in regards to recent spider-man history.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by stillanerd View Post

I also don't love it but that is mainly because I'm fundamentally opposed to any redo of KLH (which I feel is a pinnacle of comic book storytelling unlikely to ever be equalled let all own surpassed).
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I also don't love it but that is mainly because I'm fundamentally opposed to any redo of KLH (which I feel is a pinnacle of comic book storytelling unlikely to ever be equalled let all own surpassed).
    I personally didn’t like the original KLH so having a retelling with C-List fodder isn’t exactly appealing.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post

Black Ant was an idiot for not getting that "he fits the theme too".
    Hilarious, because I started reading the top left panel of that page thinking: "....hey umm....an ant is an animal too. doh"... then in my next glance down the page Spender closed the loop!

I was wondering how long (not if) it was going to take to have that little gem pay off lol. Not long apparentely.

If I were Taskmaster I would spend that money quick. He pissed off a ton of d-listers. But then there are guys like Vulture and Owl who are known for holding grudges. He also captured Tombstone's daughter. Tombstone already has beef with him. Two mob bosses and the Rhino. Yikes

If I were Taskmaster I would spend that money quick. He pissed off a ton of d-listers. But then there are guys like Vulture and Owl who are known for holding grudges. He also captured Tombstone's daughter. Tombstone already has beef with him. Two mob bosses and the Rhino. Yikes
    They should do a mini. The Hunt for Taskmaster. Lol.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaded Porcupine View Post
    I would be very into that, actually!

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaded Porcupine View Post
    Be a short hunt. He's headed to Belize. Black Ant would sell him out in a heartbeat.

Be a short hunt. He's headed to Belize. Black Ant would sell him out in a heartbeat.
    Was he conscious to hear Tasky mention Belize, though?

Quote Originally Posted by Yvonmukluk View Post
    Was he conscious to hear Tasky mention Belize, though?
    Hard to say. He was doing that weird comic book thing where they monologue to an incapacitated opponent. Black Ant, simply from having Eric's memory, would know about the Org/Taskmaster's wife.

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    2nd I didn't think this was all that depressing or doom and gloom.
    Yeah well...Spencer's sense of humor and irreverent perspective is so distinct - and so much a part of the DNA of everything does, that even when his stories take a darker turn?

It's never so that dark you forget you're reading a silly superhero comic. Mainly because he's constantly reminding you of that. Pretty much everything short of breaking the 4th wall.

Case in point...the most memorable moment in the whole issue for me is Taskmaster and Black Ant lol. It was so obviously and hilariously set up to go down that way (ie 'how can an animal themed costumed individual take a contract to kidnap and deliver animal themed constumed individuals...completely oblivious!? wtf lol).... then he hammers the trope home with perfect timing.

His stories are full of this kind of thing. He takes his humor seriously.