Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    And for those of you not familiar with this term from back in the last century, . . .
    I don't think I even want to click on that link! Another reason why I'm not that into underground stuff.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I don't think I even want to click on that link!
    You don't have to. Just pull out your old copy of Watchmen!

I didn't really know that much about Underground Comics, though this topic for the game has given me a chance to do a little research on it.

Last edited by Tami; 03-31-2019 at 09:29 AM.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

So I'm going the slightly other route. While I know a few Underground, I never read too much. but this is a current comic, done by Vault comics, which I love. So not done by the big two, or the more known others.

songs-for-the-dead-2.jpg
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Some week, we'll have a contest that won't be drifting off with comments and not covers.

This is NOT that week. Thank whatever gods you may hold holy for that!

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

THIS is your brain on drugs, yo!

Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    For those not familiar with this character, the comic book was originally named "Cherry Poptart".
    Yeah, Kellogg's made Larry Welz change the name. Similarly, Jim Mahfood was doing a comic called "Girl Scouts" about weed dealing street ninjas. He had to change the name to "Grrl Scouts" when the actual Girl Scout organization contacted him.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Yeah, Kellogg's made Larry Welz change the name. Similarly, Jim Mahfood was doing a comic called "Girl Scouts" about weed dealing street ninjas. He had to change the name to "Grrl Scouts" when the actual Girl Scout organization contacted him.
    In my humble opinion, nothing puts the fear of god into people more than having to face off with headhunting lawyers on orders to protect a company's intellectual property.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Found this when I was in high school, back in the day. It's biting and hilarious and recommended. Somewhere there is a nice trade collection but that's probably been out of print for years; well worth looking for, though.

You can find a bunch of books I wrote stories for here. The weekly column is here.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    In my humble opinion, nothing puts the fear of god into people more than having to face off with headhunting lawyers on orders to protect a company's intellectual property.
    Marvel went after a few people. Off the top of my head, I'm aware of this little indie thing called "Coober Skeber". Marvel took them to court and I think the ruling was that the publisher could still print the comic but they couldn't sell it for money. Then Marvel ended up actually buying some of the pieces and using them themselves.

There was also when they went after Dave Sim from Cerebus over a Wolverine parody. I don't think anything happened to Dave but when he reprinted the story, he put a label on the cover indicating that it was a spoof.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I don't think I even want to click on that link! Another reason why I'm not that into underground stuff.
    It was just the Wikipedia entry that tells what a "Tijuana bible" is. It's not terribly risqué, and you don't have to read the entire entry if you don't feel it's going to be appropriate . . .

A favorite series from the 1980s. Nazrat. Loved it, still a treasured part of my collection.

Kind of wondering if someone is going to post an Omaha cover.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 03-28-2019 at 11:26 AM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.