Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Kind of wondering if someone is going to post an Omaha cover.
    I was wondering the same thing . . .

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

A latter day Tijuana Bible:

"How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    A latter day Tijuana Bible:
    I don't even want to think what likely happens with Snowy in that one!

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    I don't even want to think what likely happens with Snowy in that one!
    Maybe Snowy drifted?

The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Incredible Member

Last edited by Rob Allen; 03-29-2019 at 02:29 PM.
    --
    The discussion forum for fans of 20th-century comics: http://classiccomics.org

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Ravin Ray, is that meant as a joke or didn't you read the full details for contest.
    Ok, chalk that up to my having zero knowledge of underground comix and taking a gander with the thread title. So I had to look it up, and curious if anyone in the Philippines did something similar, this instead turned up in my search list:

And the connection to the Philippines is the main story about the massacre of Filipinos at the hands of American soldiers in the very early years of the American colonial era when resistance and resentment boiled over into war.

http://boxofanything.blogspot.com/20...-massacre.html
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Ok, chalk that up to my having zero knowledge of underground comix and taking a gander with the thread title. So I had to look it up, and curious if anyone in the Philippines did something similar, this instead turned up in my search list:

And the connection to the Philippines is the main story about the massacre of Filipinos at the hands of American soldiers in the very early years of the American colonial era when resistance and resentment boiled over into war.

http://boxofanything.blogspot.com/20...-massacre.html
    Following Vietnam, we openly talked about American atrocities. But now, even with an illegal and immoral war like Iraq, if we mention that American can be the bad guy, we aren't "honoring the troops". Cause they are "keeping us free" or some bullshit. The thing is, we can appreciate someone's service while still condemning the policy they are following.

And Ray, great Wm Stout cover there. Are you going to change yours to this? Yes, that qualifies as Underground.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Following Vietnam, we openly talked about American atrocities. But now, even with an illegal and immoral war like Iraq, if we mention that American can be the bad guy, we aren't "honoring the troops". Cause they are "keeping us free" or some bullshit. The thing is, we can appreciate someone's service while still condemning the policy they are following.
    Yes, the darker side of the American era was glossed over in elementary school. It took high school for us to realize how the Americans taking up where the Spanish left off, it wasn't all rosy. And that we had our share in guerrilla tactics and hits against the Americans too. The one major sore thumb that stood out was the Balangiga Massacre.
    And Ray, great Wm Stout cover there. Are you going to change yours to this? Yes, that qualifies as Underground.
    Yep, this is my entry. But I won't delete the first one, because Aughra makes a great visual.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Yes, the darker side of the American era was glossed over in elementary school. It took high school for us to realize how the Americans taking up where the Spanish left off, it wasn't all rosy. And that we had our share in guerrilla tactics and hits against the Americans too. The one major sore thumb that stood out was the Balangiga Massacre.

Yep, this is my entry. But I won't delete the first one, because Aughra makes a great visual.

Hope about marking it "Not an entry" then?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Are independents books considered Underground?

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by icctrombone View Post
    Not automatically. It needs a certain anti-establishment element.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

No., because independents can be bought in the conventional way(s), while underground comics are not.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    Not automatically. It needs a certain anti-establishment element.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    No., because independents can be bought in the conventional way(s), while underground comics are not.
    Folks, don't get too carried away about what is and what isn't technically an "underground comic book" for this contest.

We did have this clarification earlier in the thread that seems to allow a slightly wider spectrum of possibilities:
    Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I'm not super strict...I'm willing to roll with stuff from say Fantagraphics, Oni Press, etc.Or famous stuff that just happens to be self published ( that should give folks some good ideas) Or newer companies like maybe Aftershock or perhaps Black Mask, what have you...just as long as we aren't getting tons of Vertigo or First Comics entries.