Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Mr. and Mrs. X, #9- SPOILER THREAD

Ok, so we’ve been talking about this in the Romy thread, but someone mentioned wanting a separate thread. So I don’t have much time, so it will be short, but here it goes:

The issue starts with the preview pages, those gorgeous panels of Gambit running through Mojo world and finding baby Spiral? It cuts back to Rogue and Mental!Spiral on the astral plane (or something similar) and Spiral says she needs to hurry because in the real world, Spiral is fighting Mojo’s solider’s and she’s getting tired. Commence with memories/ flashbacks. Things like Cody, Carol, and ending up in the time when she was captured in Genosha.

The pages also cut back to Gambit occasionally, so it’s not all mindscape stuff. After finding the baby, Gambit also meets some of the downtrodden citizens of Mojo world who also need help and meets back up with Real!Spiral.

One thing I didn’t notice at first but someone else mentioned was that Gambit finds a ‘baby’, but downtrodden citizens don’t mention it as a baby and neither does Spiral. So there may shapeshifting or mental shenanigans afoot.

I think the most important takeaway from this issue is the root of Rogue’s inability to control her powers—the events that took place in Genosha. It was implied (but handled poorly) back then at the time of its publication that she was sexually assaulted to a certain a degree by the guards when she had her powers stripped away, but it was made much clearer in this issue itself, based on her resistance and denial on confronting this specific trauma (“I don’t want to think about what happened here...”). What I understood from this series of panels is that her skin had always subconsciously been on defense mode ever since this incident, more so than ever before, to protect her (“If nobody could touch me then nobody could hurt me. I wouldn’t have to risk anything, my heart, my body”). She buried this so deep in her memory that she’s essentially trapped there till her present self appeared and “rescued” her after accepting what happened and is ready to conquer that fear. In a way, it’s much more organic than Charles and Danger “fixing” her in Legacy and her problems just magically disappearing; this feels more like an on-going process that may involve a few obstacles along the way. But we haven’t seen yet how her powers have evolved with control; before this issue, she would ALWAYS involuntarily absorb everyone around her without touching them and had to use a suppression collar. I don’t know if she’ll still retain the part about not needing to touch anyone to absorb them?
    Last edited by rogueisbae; 03-28-2019 at 09:51 PM.

#9 was fine. Gambit was cool. Rogue`s journey wasn`t exciting or shocking. Expected more. But overall this issue was fine.

Such self-discovery journey should have happend in first arc with Xandra`s help so we won`t need to read one more arc about control problems.

Will see how arc will end in #10. Can`t wait for Guilds!!!

Spectacular Member

Thank you @anyajenkins! Life has been completely non-stop for me (personal and work) and I haven’t had a moment to post since the last issue came out. Got up this morning to write a recap post because I’ve been looking for the spoiler thread too, but you beat me to it (whew - I don’t think recaps are my thing). And so I’ll just write my thoughts on the issue – but it’s taking much longer than I anticipated. So much went on in this issue. So much to unpack. I’m still processing. I’ll BE BACK!

I wish Kris Anka was doing covers again, like he did for the mini series.

Fantastic Member

Just when it finally feels we're getting to canonically-important character development, the book is about to get canceled. Poop. I wish this book was selling better. Gambit & Rogue as a duo, away from the larger X-teams really works for me.

It's also been nice watching Oscar Bazaldua's art improve a lot and evolve a little over the course of a year. Wasn't familiar with his work prior to this, but now I look forward to his next project.

I was surprised by the contents of the treasure that Spiral wanted Gambit to steal.

Are we going to enter another period where Rogue controls her powers? Or will this development be forgotten in the next relaunch ?

I would like to see Spiral with the X-Men for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    I wish Kris Anka was doing covers again, like he did for the mini series.
    Does he still do interiors too? Probably an expensive "get" I suppose though.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rogueisbae View Post
    I think the most important takeaway from this issue is the root of Rogue’s inability to control her powers—the events that took place in Genosha. It was implied (but handled poorly) back then at the time of its publication that she was sexually assaulted to a certain a degree by the guards when she had her powers stripped away, but it was made much clearer in this issue itself, based on her resistance and denial on confronting this specific trauma (“I don’t want to think about what happened here...”). What I understood from this series of panels is that her skin had always subconsciously been on defense mode ever since this incident, more so than ever before, to protect her (“If nobody could touch me then nobody could hurt me. I wouldn’t have to risk anything, my heart, my body”). She buried this so deep in her memory that she’s essentially trapped there till her present self appeared and “rescued” her after accepting what happened and is ready to conquer that fear. In a way, it’s much more organic than Charles and Danger “fixing” her in Legacy and her problems just magically disappearing; this feels more like an on-going process that may involve a few obstacles along the way. But we haven’t seen yet how her powers have evolved with control; before this issue, she would ALWAYS involuntarily absorb everyone around her without touching them and had to use a suppression collar. I don’t know if she’ll still retain the part about not needing to touch anyone to absorb them?
    But...Rogue has always been unable to control her powers...since they first activated when she kissed Cody and that was loooong before Outback X-men and Genosha.
    Her control issues may have been exacerbated by that experience but it's not the "root cause" of her problem.
    If I can recall, Wasn't it established (I forget where and when) that her lack of control issues stemmed from the trauma of seeing how her power physically affected Cody...someone she emotionally cared about...as well as the fear it instilled in her upon initial activation.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 03-29-2019 at 10:58 AM.

This was a big issue, though I was surprised by the parts that impacted me most.

I particularly enjoyed Gambit's inner monologue at the beginning. It's rarely recognized on page that what these characters have been through impacts them and changes them. We've seen Remy go from his late teens to his mid-20's and during the course of that time lived through hardships, loss, built relationships and had near death experiences. So it follows suit, especially from where he left off in the Asmus series, that he has changed as a person and come to a place where he has more maturity, direction, and purpose in life. I am SUPER curious what this will entail. Also I LOVED the art in his opening sequence.

This was a huge issue for Rogue. I get that people feel this was a rehash or that it took a long time to get here. But that was kind of the point. Rogue has been fighting and avoiding acknowledgement of her trauma most of her adult life. Only by being backed into a corner with no options for escape (out of control powers hurting her loved ones and nearly melting down her brain) was she forced to take a hard look at herself and realize the truth. That she is doing this to herself. It's a defense mechanism. The reasoning rings so true and while it may seem like a simple solution, it is understandably hard to face that you have been subconsciously doing something that makes you miserable. So many people should be able to relate to this from a mental health standpoint. From a writing standpoint this leaves Rogue with a great narrative going forward, because it's something she will always struggle with, her particular cross to bear. But now she has the tools to overcome it herself, so it can't be easily taken away either. I am really looking forward to seeing her power struggles and forward progress in the next several issues! By starting to acknowledge and put her fears aside, she can move forward with her life and embrace it.

Both characters state they "want it all". I am interested to see this discussion unfold!

Now for that adorable 6-armed mystery baby ... that maybe isn't a baby?! Spiral needs it, but doesn't know who or what it is. Mojoworld's residents also need it and don't see it as a baby. Why is Remy seeing a baby? What deal did he make with the citizens?

I am enjoying the mystery of this caper and very curious how it all connects to Spiral.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    But...Rogue has always been unable to control her powers...since they first activated when she kissed Cody and that was loooong before Outback X-men and Genosha.
    Her control issues may have been exacerbated by that experience but it's not the "root cause" of her problem.
    If I can recall, Wasn't it established (I forget where and when) that her lack of control issues stemmed from the trauma of seeing how her power physically affected Cody...someone she emotionally cared about...as well as the fear it instilled in her upon initial activation.
    As it was written, I don't believe this undoes what happened under Carey's writing. The reasoning then was that her powers hadn't been able to mature beyond their nascent stage and Xavier had removed what was stopping that progression. But it was never clear why it suddenly failed after absorbing Wonderman. This explains that part of it. So my interpretation is that she wasn't afraid when she thought Xavier had fixed her and therefore her powers were in control.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Okies.
    It still doesn't ring 100% true to me...but I'll just chalk it up to writer's interpretation and license.

The issue was alright, regarding Rogue's powers Kelly's explanation works just fine and it's better than what Carey did, yet it could have been better than just fear, maybe add another layer to it. Also I hope she has to keep working with her powers and that this is not a instant solution, I guess we'll see in the next issues.

Bazaldua's art style was definitely not the appropriate one for this issue, with so many emotional and traumatic scenes from Rogue's past this issue needed a bigger variety of facial expressions and Bazaldua seems incapable of doing that, Rogue either looked like a cute Disney princess or like a surprised emoji with her mouth and eyes wide open. Also the empty and simplistic backgrounds gave me the impression that this issue was done in a hurry without paying much attention to the details. Overall I think the art really affected this issue very negatively.

Spectacular Member

Part 1

Don’t know how you all do it. It takes me so much longer to process and get all my thoughts down. Plus life keeps getting the way (I am doing this instead of the all the online HR training I need to do before end of month). Sheesh. If there are typos, I’ll go back and correct. Please forgive me and thank you for letting me express my views.

Mr. and Mrs. X #9 was a big issue. There really is so much to unpack.

Let’s start with Gambit.
    How much do I love watching Gambit in action? Athletic, disciplined, fearless, flawless, precise, composed, talented, elegant – it’s almost like watching a dance. I’ve always thought Gambit at work would be similar to egg stealing scene from Ocean’s 12. He is a true master of his craft. Love his inner dialogue. Confident, a risk-taker, determined – willing to carve out his way in life. Damn the rules and the norm. And then soothing baby spiral? SWOON! And the explosion so dangerous it that freaks out Spiral, but he doesn’t sweat it. He knew exactly what he was doing. Damn it, the man is hot. LOVE HIM.

But undeniably – this was an important issue for Rogue.
    I appreciate Kelly’s writing because there is so much she offers the reader beyond a caper/heist, kicking ass and taking names. Yes, Gambit and Rogue play beautifully off one another when reading them in those scenarios that are entirely entertaining and enjoyable. But for me, right now, I think those stories alone would feel empty and superficial because they would be ignoring the real issues of their relationship. It would be a missed opportunity not to finally resolve the problems that have always bogged them down and prevented them to proceed to the next level. That is what feels like Kelly is doing. Tying up the loose ends of the past. That is why Kelly delves right into the biggest obstacles to hopefully help them resolve them. And Rogue’s inability to touch has been their biggest complication from the get-go and especially for now in their marriage.

This issue made me really think about Rogue’s powers in a different way. Rogue’s powers were always a curse, but they also made her safe. For me, I discovered comics just before I hit my teens. It’s about the same time when I was learning about the dangers in the world and what you have to do to protect yourself – moreso if you’re a girl. Plan out your life so that you aren’t a target. Plan your day so you are never alone, park next to a street lamp if you know you’ll be out late, watch your drink, walk with your car keys, make sure someone always know where you are – the list goes on. As a young girl finding comics, I gravitated to Rogue because she seemed powerful in areas I wasn’t. To me, being Rogue meant freedom. It meant you never had to do that work to make sure you were safe. Agreed, the Ms. Marvel powers alone should have been enough but we learn from countless stories (i.e. Carol and Marcus or Jessica Jones and the Purple Man) that even then you are never truly safe from anyone wanting to dominate or hurt you. Rogue’s poisonous skin added that final level of protection where she was literally “untouchable”. Untouchable – when associated with Rogue, always used to describe her cross to bear, but in other circumstances, the word evokes power. References like “The Untouchable” boxer Nicolino Locche or “The Untouchables” who even mafia couldn’t overpower are just quick examples of that.

But it never occurred to me that the fear of losing the safety her powers provided her would cripple her.
    Last edited by LegoLiz; 03-31-2019 at 07:21 AM.

Spectacular Member

Part 2

In her realization, I do appreciate that Kelly touched on moments in Rogue’s life where she clearly was scared and actually says (or Gambit notes) she is afraid. Flashbacks:

“What difference does that make? It’s not about you an’ him! It’s about us. I’m in love wit’ you – an I’m afraid you don’t know what that word really means.” X-Men #33

“Her eyes are scared, not angry, she don’t really know.” X-Men #45

To paraphrase “I’m so afraid that I’ll hurt you, like I did Cody, when I was little.” – sorry couldn’t find my issue of X-Men #24, but I’m certain she says she’s scared.

But of course is the biggest moment of all. Realization that so much of her fear is rooted in what she experienced in Genosha and at the hands of the guards. I admit that at first, I was almost disappointed that Kelly doesn’t provide more details of what happened to her there. But thinking it over, does more need to be said? All we need to know is that it was profoundly traumatic to her. (SIDE NOTE – if anyone watches Grey’s Anatomy, the most recent episode really delves into how trauma of such experiences affects you emotionally and physically. Found the timing as I pondered this issue quite fitting). It completely makes sense that even for someone as unstoppable as Rogue, fear is the thing that holds her back. In the mini, she discovers that it was her fear of her future that prevented her from having a life with Gambit. And now she realizes that it is fear once again that has stopped her from being able to control her powers. Although incredibly simple and almost blatant to others, she had to come to her own realization.

And yes, this has been a long time coming. We are almost angry at Rogue. Frustrated that it has taken her this long to get her act together. But if we are being honest, self-realization and moving on after trauma doesn’t run on an expected timeline. Just because Gambit, all the world, and even Rogue herself, may want her to be ready and be okay, it doesn’t mean she was ready to face it. Forcing yourself to be okay before you’re ready can even make it worse. A person heals at their own pace and their own time. But I do have to take a moment to note that I commend Gambit. In all their years together, I’ve never seen him pressure her about her powers, or to wear a collar or anything like that. He let her go at her own pace.

Same old story?
    But is this the same story writers have been telling for the last few decades? This could ring true at face value, but I beg to differ. I strongly object! Let’s look back at the last time Rogue learned to control her powers.

Readers have always felt the Genosha memory was a pivotal moment in Rogue’s life. Many have speculated the experience was linked to her lack of control. In X-Men Legacy, Carey shows us a flash of Rogue in Genosha and when Gambit wants to support her in her moment of vulnerability and pain, Xavier tells him that helping that part of Rogue now isn’t the priority (fair enough, the prof was on a mission to rip down those mental barriers). But Kelly takes us there. She puts Rogue back in the cell, waiting for what the guards say is worse than what they did to her previously and she remembers the fear. Rogue remembers how scary being powerless was around people with sinister intentions and realizes how this moment defined her.

~
    Professor X: “I came here to cure Rogue.”
    This time Rogue makes herself whole. She now has the tools to do it again for herself in the future if she loses control again. I do appreciate that it’s not Ms. Marvel helping Rogue out of Genosha, but Rogue herself.

~
    Rogue: “Sometimes I feel like mah entire life is a log-jammed river. Like Ah’m trapped and Ah can’t move on. Can’t ever get to where ah’m going.”
    Mystique: “And where is that?
    Rogue: “Yeah. It’d help to know, wouldn’t it?

AND

Rogue: (after the kiss) “and it felt right. Very right. But Remy – Ah’m not ready yet to talk about us. Ah don’t know how Ah feel about you, or even about me, even.”

And in Kelly’s story, Rogue wants her future with Gambit. I’ve heard a lot of concern that Rogue isn’t fully into the relationship as much as Gambit is. We’ve cried foul before and now this is the moment we have been waiting for. Here in this issue, Rogue finally does the work. She faces her fears. And she comes out the other side whole. She proclaims her desire to move forward with the same words she accepted Gambit’s proposal and to a future with him: “I say yes.” She even echoes Gambit’s thoughts word for word of where she wants their relationship to be and tells him “I’m ready for everything. And I want it all.” They are exactly on the same page. Part of me believes Gambit and their future is a huge reason she pushed herself to finally overcome her fear.

I think we can all finally move on and I’m happy to see it. Yes, the mini and most of MMX have centred on Rogue and her development. But she is what was holding them back. And Kelly has helped them move on from that. Although these parts of their relationship have been stagnate for many years, it's not like Kelly's been writing them for all that time. Kelly started telling their story just in January 2018 and look how far she has taken them in just a year in a half. How she's pushed their relationship further than any other writer has! Whew thank goodness. Because let's leave it in the past. Because I want more Gambit. I want to dissect and analyze more content on him. But before I go, I do have one last thought about Gambit.

I remember reading X-Men #45 and thinking Gambit was making such wonderful promises that I didn’t know how he couldn’t fulfill:

Gambit: “I’ll do whatever I can t’help you. Give anything I got – Good and bad – to make your ya’hurt go away.”
    Rogue: “But, Remy don’t you see? You have given me all you got…an’ it wasn’t enough…”
    Gambit: “Den I’ll find a way to give your more. I like where I m gon’ a whole lot more dan where I been. I want to go there with’ you. I want you t’touch me. Be inside me again – become me – let me become you – no secrets, no shame—so dat we can get past this an’ go on from here. De way I was us to – together – as one. Choice is yours.”

Anyone else thankful Kelly stopped writing them in their accents? Regardless. Man kept to his word. He patiently stayed by her side until she was ready. Made her progress possible thanks to his mission. Trusted that she could free herself and she did.

Oh and shout out to Spiral. Hilarious. And what the heck is really the thing Gambit stole? I need to know more. And I’m so ready for the GUILDS!
    Last edited by LegoLiz; 03-31-2019 at 07:23 AM.