Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30
  1. #1
    All about DC. DCStu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    UK, just outside London.
    Posts
    209

    Default Shazam! is a COOL movie!

    I'm a member of my local cinema's club thing, and last night they did an early screening of Shazam! just for members. So I went along and I'm pleased to say it's a pretty satisfying movie! I'm not a big Shazam reader (I've only read the New 52 TPB and another one which was a team up with Superman. Other than that, I've probably only seen him pop up in crossovers) so I couldn't tell you how faithful it was or not to the comic book... but still. If you're looking for a pretty good DC film you could do a lot worse!

    Don't ask me for any spoilers cause ya ain't gettin' none!
    Collects
    80's 90's Post Crisis Era
    Eaglemoss DC Graphic Novels Collection
    New 52 (discontinued)
    DC Rebirth

  2. #2
    Spectacular Member matthew's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    199

    Default

    If you're looking for a pretty good DC film you could do a lot worse!
    They should put this on the poster.

  3. #3
    All about DC. DCStu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    UK, just outside London.
    Posts
    209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    They should put this on the poster.


    It's pretty high acclaim compared to the reviews Suicide Squad and Justice League got (and deserved).
    Collects
    80's 90's Post Crisis Era
    Eaglemoss DC Graphic Novels Collection
    New 52 (discontinued)
    DC Rebirth

  4. #4
    Incredible Member jb681131's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    594

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DCStu View Post
    I'm a member of my local cinema's club thing, and last night they did an early screening of Shazam! just for members. So I went along and I'm pleased to say it's a pretty satisfying movie! I'm not a big Shazam reader (I've only read the New 52 TPB and another one which was a team up with Superman. Other than that, I've probably only seen him pop up in crossovers) so I couldn't tell you how faithful it was or not to the comic book... but still. If you're looking for a pretty good DC film you could do a lot worse!

    Don't ask me for any spoilers cause ya ain't gettin' none!
    I'll probably go see it when it comes out here.
    In the meantime I dit this post on what should be read:
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...ecommendations

  5. #5
    Ultimate Member Digifiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    16,076

    Default

    New 52 is all you need to read anyway, as anything before that is irrelevant. Eugene, Pedro and Darla were only introduced in New 52.

  6. #6
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,610

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    New 52 is all you need to read anyway, as anything before that is irrelevant. Eugene, Pedro and Darla were only introduced in New 52.
    Eh, I wouldn't say that. You'd miss out on a lot of good stories by doing that.

    If you want a list of suggestions, this is a good one: https://comicbook.com/dc/2018/07/24/...s-beginners/#8

  7. #7
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    3,114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    New 52 is all you need to read anyway, as anything before that is irrelevant. Eugene, Pedro and Darla were only introduced in New 52.
    Eugene, Pedro and Darla were introduced in flashpoint,before the new 52.
    Flashpoint (2011) - #1
    http://comicbookdb.com/issue.php?ID=227026

  8. #8
    All about DC. DCStu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    UK, just outside London.
    Posts
    209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    I'll probably go see it when it comes out here.
    In the meantime I dit this post on what should be read:
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...ecommendations
    Thanks! I'll have a look!

    All I've read is the New 52 trade paperback by Geoff Johns (which is actually one of the better N52 books in my opinion), and "First Thunder" which is a team up between him and Superman. And I must have seen him pop up in other things like "Justice League" (I've read OODLES of JL over the years...)
    Collects
    80's 90's Post Crisis Era
    Eaglemoss DC Graphic Novels Collection
    New 52 (discontinued)
    DC Rebirth

  9. #9
    Fantastic Member Wandering_Wand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    303

    Default

    Glad to hear this, thanks for sharing.

    I know Shazam! (or the original Captain Marvel) isn't super glamorous with most fans, but I think it's important we DC fans get out and see it. These movies need to make money, plain and simple, or the studios will scratch them.

    I've never had much exposure to Shazam! but this movie has me really excited, so I'm definitely going to see it.

  10. #10
    All about DC. DCStu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    UK, just outside London.
    Posts
    209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wandering_Wand View Post
    Glad to hear this, thanks for sharing.

    I know Shazam! (or the original Captain Marvel) isn't super glamorous with most fans, but I think it's important we DC fans get out and see it. These movies need to make money, plain and simple, or the studios will scratch them.

    I've never had much exposure to Shazam! but this movie has me really excited, so I'm definitely going to see it.
    I hope you enjoy it dude. Aquaman and Shazam! Two great DC films in a row! Let's hope Joker makes it a hat trick in the Autumn!
    Collects
    80's 90's Post Crisis Era
    Eaglemoss DC Graphic Novels Collection
    New 52 (discontinued)
    DC Rebirth

  11. #11
    Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,092

    Default

    I'm stoked to see it. Glad to hear it was entertaining!
    Follow your inner moonlight, do not hide the madness. -Ginsberg

  12. #12
    Ultimate Member Digifiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    16,076

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Eh, I wouldn't say that. You'd miss out on a lot of good stories by doing that.

    If you want a list of suggestions, this is a good one: https://comicbook.com/dc/2018/07/24/...s-beginners/#8
    I didn't say they're bad - but they did change quite a lot with the reboot, that's why I said the older material wasn't relevant.

  13. #13
    All about DC. DCStu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    UK, just outside London.
    Posts
    209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I didn't say they're bad - but they did change quite a lot with the reboot, that's why I said the older material wasn't relevant.
    Yeah. As much as I appreciate Zeeguy91's suggestion - I think the New 52 Shazam by Geoff Johns was the right place to start for me. And I'll be getting the new series when the trades come out.
    That book really helped me get the measure of the character and if anyone wants to read some Shazam before seeing the film, I don't see how they need anything more than what's in that book to get up to speed.

    The film is not an adaptation of that book - but I can see how it used it as a template and to be honest you couldn't ask for a better foundation on which to build.

    I sort of like to move forward with comic characters anyway. I have no plans to re-read any old stuff any time soon (until the next Batman post crisis TPBs come out) - but I still raise a glass!
    Collects
    80's 90's Post Crisis Era
    Eaglemoss DC Graphic Novels Collection
    New 52 (discontinued)
    DC Rebirth

  14. #14
    Astonishing Member liwanag's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,564

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DCStu View Post
    I'm a member of my local cinema's club thing, and last night they did an early screening of Shazam! just for members. So I went along and I'm pleased to say it's a pretty satisfying movie! I'm not a big Shazam reader (I've only read the New 52 TPB and another one which was a team up with Superman. Other than that, I've probably only seen him pop up in crossovers) so I couldn't tell you how faithful it was or not to the comic book... but still. If you're looking for a pretty good DC film you could do a lot worse!

    Don't ask me for any spoilers cause ya ain't gettin' none!
    glad to hear that.

    only a few more days, then i get to see it. i'm excited.

  15. #15
    Astonishing Member liwanag's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,564

    Default



    projections are good. hope it starts strong. can't wait.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •