Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Shazam! is a COOL movie!

I'm a member of my local cinema's club thing, and last night they did an early screening of Shazam! just for members. So I went along and I'm pleased to say it's a pretty satisfying movie! I'm not a big Shazam reader (I've only read the New 52 TPB and another one which was a team up with Superman. Other than that, I've probably only seen him pop up in crossovers) so I couldn't tell you how faithful it was or not to the comic book... but still. If you're looking for a pretty good DC film you could do a lot worse!

Don't ask me for any spoilers cause ya ain't gettin' none!
    Collects
    80's 90's Post Crisis Era
    Eaglemoss DC Graphic Novels Collection
    New 52 (discontinued)
    DC Rebirth
    DC Black Label

If you're looking for a pretty good DC film you could do a lot worse!
    They should put this on the poster.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    They should put this on the poster.

It's pretty high acclaim compared to the reviews Suicide Squad and Justice League got (and deserved).
    Collects
    New 52 (discontinued)
    DC Rebirth
    DC Black Label

Quote Originally Posted by DCStu View Post
    I'm a member of my local cinema's club thing, and last night they did an early screening of Shazam! just for members. So I went along and I'm pleased to say it's a pretty satisfying movie! I'm not a big Shazam reader (I've only read the New 52 TPB and another one which was a team up with Superman. Other than that, I've probably only seen him pop up in crossovers) so I couldn't tell you how faithful it was or not to the comic book... but still. If you're looking for a pretty good DC film you could do a lot worse!

I'll probably go see it when it comes out here.
    In the meantime I dit this post on what should be read:
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...ecommendations

New 52 is all you need to read anyway, as anything before that is irrelevant. Eugene, Pedro and Darla were only introduced in New 52.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    New 52 is all you need to read anyway, as anything before that is irrelevant. Eugene, Pedro and Darla were only introduced in New 52.
    Eh, I wouldn't say that. You'd miss out on a lot of good stories by doing that.

If you want a list of suggestions, this is a good one: https://comicbook.com/dc/2018/07/24/...s-beginners/#8

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Eh, I wouldn't say that. You'd miss out on a lot of good stories by doing that.

If you want a list of suggestions, this is a good one: https://comicbook.com/dc/2018/07/24/...s-beginners/#8
    I didn't say they're bad - but they did change quite a lot with the reboot, that's why I said the older material wasn't relevant.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I didn't say they're bad - but they did change quite a lot with the reboot, that's why I said the older material wasn't relevant.
    Yeah. As much as I appreciate Zeeguy91's suggestion - I think the New 52 Shazam by Geoff Johns was the right place to start for me. And I'll be getting the new series when the trades come out.
    That book really helped me get the measure of the character and if anyone wants to read some Shazam before seeing the film, I don't see how they need anything more than what's in that book to get up to speed.

The film is not an adaptation of that book - but I can see how it used it as a template and to be honest you couldn't ask for a better foundation on which to build.

I sort of like to move forward with comic characters anyway. I have no plans to re-read any old stuff any time soon (until the next Batman post crisis TPBs come out) - but I still raise a glass!
    Collects
    New 52 (discontinued)
    DC Rebirth
    DC Black Label

Extraordinary Member

Yeah. As much as I appreciate Zeeguy91's suggestion - I think the New 52 Shazam by Geoff Johns was the right place to start for me. And I'll be getting the new series when the trades come out.
    That book really helped me get the measure of the character and if anyone wants to read some Shazam before seeing the film, I don't see how they need anything more than what's in that book to get up to speed.

The film is not an adaptation of that book - but I can see how it used it as a template and to be honest you couldn't ask for a better foundation on which to build.

I sort of like to move forward with comic characters anyway. I have no plans to re-read any old stuff any time soon (until the next Batman post crisis TPBs come out) - but I still raise a glass!

You don't have to read beyond the New 52. I mean, the New 52 run is even on the list of recommendations I gave. But, in all honesty, you don't have to read anything before going into the movie. If you want to really get to know the character, though, checking out some of the older comics is always a good idea, as it is with pretty much any character. They'll also pronbably be pulling from that stuff down the road. I've heard especially wonderful things about Jerry Ordway's run on Power of Shazam! from the 90s.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 04-11-2019 at 04:50 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Eugene, Pedro and Darla were introduced in flashpoint,before the new 52.
    Flashpoint (2011) - #1
    http://comicbookdb.com/issue.php?ID=227026

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    I'll probably go see it when it comes out here.
    In the meantime I dit this post on what should be read:
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...ecommendations
    Thanks! I'll have a look!

All I've read is the New 52 trade paperback by Geoff Johns (which is actually one of the better N52 books in my opinion), and "First Thunder" which is a team up between him and Superman. And I must have seen him pop up in other things like "Justice League" (I've read OODLES of JL over the years...)
    Collects
    New 52 (discontinued)
    DC Rebirth
    DC Black Label

Incredible Member Wandering_Wand's Avatar

Glad to hear this, thanks for sharing.

I know Shazam! (or the original Captain Marvel) isn't super glamorous with most fans, but I think it's important we DC fans get out and see it. These movies need to make money, plain and simple, or the studios will scratch them.

I've never had much exposure to Shazam! but this movie has me really excited, so I'm definitely going to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering_Wand View Post
    Glad to hear this, thanks for sharing.

I know Shazam! (or the original Captain Marvel) isn't super glamorous with most fans, but I think it's important we DC fans get out and see it. These movies need to make money, plain and simple, or the studios will scratch them.

I've never had much exposure to Shazam! but this movie has me really excited, so I'm definitely going to see it.
    I hope you enjoy it dude. Aquaman and Shazam! Two great DC films in a row! Let's hope Joker makes it a hat trick in the Autumn!
    Collects
    New 52 (discontinued)
    DC Rebirth
    DC Black Label

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I'm stoked to see it. Glad to hear it was entertaining!

glad to hear that.

only a few more days, then i get to see it. i'm excited.