Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dolphin

Default Dolphin

Like Lorena Marquez, this is another character I'd be interested in seeing return to the Aquaman books. I'd make her from one of the cities of Atlantis and a sorceress on par with Garth. I'd make healing others one of her abilities as the Aquafamily could use a medic character as well as the ability to use corrosive steam for offensive purposes.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Agent Z; 06-17-2016 at 10:32 AM.

I loved the marriage of her and Garth, you really got to see how great their relationship was in Grayson's Titans run. She should bounce around from Aquaman's book to the Titans to give a connection between the Aquafamily.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    I loved the marriage of her and Garth, you really got to see how great their relationship was in Grayson's Titans run. She should bounce around from Aquaman's book to the Titans to give a connection between the Aquafamily.
    Just goes to show what I've always said - fans aren't a monolith. All different people with different opinions. Celebrate it!

I thought Garth getting involved with his mentor/father figure's recent ex-girlfriend was a terrible idea, and getting her pregnant just showed us that Atlantis hadn't invented condoms yet. (Amazing how many DC heroes had accidental children conceived out of wedlock back then. Maybe a little sex ed for them?)

I kind of liked Dolphin, back when she was a mysterious and somewhat isolated character, and her storylines not quite so focused on whose girlfriend, wife, and mother she was.

(Edited to add: Hey, remember in Batman Beyond, when Bruce Wayne got Barbara Gordon pregnant right before she got back together with Dick Grayson? And then she ran off and had a miscarriage while they guys fought about it, because really it was all about them? Also creepy.)
    Last edited by Doctor Bifrost; 06-17-2016 at 06:31 PM.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

BANNED

I'd welcome Dolphin back,and Lorena and Tula. But Aquagirls tend to have a short life span these days and I'd be concerned they were brought back just for a "dramatic" death the whole time. I have trust issues with the longevity of certain characters these days

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Bifrost View Post
    Just goes to show what I've always said - fans aren't a monolith. All different people with different opinions. Celebrate it!

I thought Garth getting involved with his mentor/father figure's recent ex-girlfriend was a terrible idea, and getting her pregnant just showed us that Atlantis hadn't invented condoms yet. (Amazing how many DC heroes had accidental children conceived out of wedlock back then. Maybe a little sex ed for them?)

I kind of liked Dolphin, back when she was a mysterious and somewhat isolated character, and her storylines not quite so focused on whose girlfriend, wife, and mother she was.

(Edited to add: Hey, remember in Batman Beyond, when Bruce Wayne got Barbara Gordon pregnant right before she got back together with Dick Grayson? And then she ran off and had a miscarriage while they guys fought about it, because really it was all about them? Also creepy.)
    Ugh why did you have to bring that up? That's depressing as hell and so stupid.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

I would be interested to see how she'd be handled now, especially with Tula currently alive and the further expansion of Aquaman's world and supporting cast Abnett is doing.

Maybe Garth can get his own love triangle in Titans or Aquaman down the line ?

I am ok with Garth hooking up with Tula, Lorena Marquez and Dolphin. Maybe Garth will hook up with the gay Jackson Hyde too.

Quote Originally Posted by colonyofcells View Post
    I am ok with Garth hooking up with Tula, Lorena Marquez and Dolphin. Maybe Garth will hook up with the gay Jackson Hyde too.
    I would not be surprised if Jackson found Garth extremely attractive .

Though I think as far as romance for Garth is concerned...Tula and Dolphin should get priority. But that's just me.

BANNED

Opinion wise I don't really care much about Dolphin in the sense that i think she is a must return, she is a fun character though but if she's anything origin wise like she was before, the Mage thing is a bit unnecessary and it wouldn't make sense for her to be on par with Garth if he still has the same ancestry as he did Pre-Flashpoint. Also would make a character with a longer respective history with Aquaman almost irrelevant.

Again wouldn't mind seeing her, if she was introduced I'd just have her as a mysterious recuit for the Sea Devils so those guys could come back firmly into the mythos. Or as a villain with seduction powers as well as some other powers due to experiments which would fit in well with the character.

Characterization wise I'm not sure if Johns just prefers Tula but he seemed to have put Dolphin far out in the past and introduced Tula pretty early on. In his writing it seemed like Garth cared for Tula more, Blackest Night with the return of Tula and his dead wife Garth mentions Tula, in Brightest Day Mera tries to comfort Aquaman about Garths' death by saying atleast him and Tula are together.

Funny stuff though.
    tumblr_o8bbfhYw8w1rv5u13o1_540.jpg
    tumblr_o8bbfhYw8w1rv5u13o2_r1_540.jpg
    tumblr_o8bbfhYw8w1rv5u13o3_r1_540.jpg
    Last edited by MadFacedKid; 06-17-2016 at 10:27 PM.

BANNED

4964144-aquaman+(2011-)+024-011.jpg

Pretty sure this is Orin and Dolphin reference to the Hook hand days.

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    Opinion wise I don't really care much about Dolphin in the sense that i think she is a must return, she is a fun character though but if she's anything origin wise like she was before, the Mage thing is a bit unnecessary and it wouldn't make sense for her to be on par with Garth if he still has the same ancestry as he did Pre-Flashpoint. Also would make a character with a longer respective history with Aquaman almost irrelevant.

Again wouldn't mind seeing her, if she was introduced I'd just have her as a mysterious recuit for the Sea Devils so those guys could come back firmly into the mythos. Or as a villain with seduction powers as well as some other powers due to experiments which would fit in well with the character.

Characterization wise I'm not sure if Johns just prefers Tula but he seemed to have put Dolphin far out in the past and introduced Tula pretty early on. In his writing it seemed like Garth cared for Tula more, Blackest Night with the return of Tula and his dead wife Garth mentions Tula, in Brightest Day Mera tries to comfort Aquaman about Garths' death by saying atleast him and Tula are together.

Funny stuff though.
    tumblr_o8bbfhYw8w1rv5u13o1_540.jpg
    tumblr_o8bbfhYw8w1rv5u13o2_r1_540.jpg
    tumblr_o8bbfhYw8w1rv5u13o3_r1_540.jpg
    How would she make Garth irrelevant?

Dolphin's incorporation into the Aquaman mythos was very much a big part of the PAD run from the 90's. And ever since Johns first got his hands on Aquaman, the impression I've gotten is that Johns (and probably Didio) very much wish that everybody would pretend that PAD's run and everything he did with the characters never, ever happened.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    How would she make Garth irrelevant?
    Your idea of making her a mage on par with Garth for one thing, what's the point of having 2 characters with the same abilities when you could just have one which will save pages.

Personally the Mage thing just doesn't work for me.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf-By-Night View Post
    Dolphin's incorporation into the Aquaman mythos was very much a big part of the PAD run from the 90's. And ever since Johns first got his hands on Aquaman, the impression I've gotten is that Johns (and probably Didio) very much wish that everybody would pretend that PAD's run and everything he did with the characters never, ever happened.
    This is incredibly inaccurate, alot of the stuff Johns introduced to the Aquaman mythos were PAD elements. The only difference is Johns didn't have to take Aquaman from his classic appearance or origin to make it work.

Since issue 1 to his final issue you could see some of the PAD elements Johns infused.

http://comicvine.gamespot.com/aquama...ate-1755675/#7

You even have Sea King who was a mirror image of 90s Aquaman.

In regards to Didio why would he allow The Convergence Aquaman 2shot title to happen if wanted the PAD Era to be forgotten?

Astonishing Member

The end of the PAD era really turned the Dolphin character off for me.

I agree she's best when used sporadically and non talkative and mysterious....