View Poll Results: Well Disney eventually reboot the original trilogy?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's not a matter of if but when.

17 25.37%
  • Never

42 62.69%
  • It depends on how well the other movies fare.

8 11.94%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I'd like to think they have better sense then that. However I've been wrong before.
    Last edited by MASTER-OF-SUPRISE; 04-13-2019 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sirmarkus View Post
    I could see them animating potentially.
    An animated Star Wars movie would be great. As unlikely as this is to happen, I wish LucasFilm and Pixar would make one together.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

I think a reboot will happen once the franchise stops making enough money to keep Disney happy.
    "Ignore them. They're nothing but a bunch of basement dwellers who spend all day whining on the 'net. Not a single open-minded one in the bunch."
    --Andre Briggs, Justice League International #1

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Once the generation who grew up on the original trilogy ain't around anymore.

Incredible Member

It will happen eventually. I never put anything past the mouse.

Only way it ever happens is in a format like animation. A different media is the only justification to do it. With Star Trek you have built in elements like time travel to justify doing it like they did for that franchise. Star Wars doesn't have that. What you do is exactly what they're doing, puting a defintiive end stamp on this "saga", and give themselves free reign to move on to completely other ideas. No reboot necessary.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Face it, when you heard Disney snagged this franchise in the back of your minds you knew that this was an option that was open to them.
    I really don't think they will. So far, everything they've done still depends on the original trilogy having happened. I don't even think they will try a disguised reboot. That worked for Star Trek (for some people) but I don't think it would for Star Wars.

Plus the leading idea for why "Solo" failed is that Star Wars needs to move forward, not keep rehashing the past.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    When they first bought Star Wars, cleaned out the EU, and announced new film projects ... I was expecting a reboot.

I could get behind a reboot largely because Star Wars could use a whole-sale continuity cleanse. Partly why I was happy to see much of the EU get decanonized.
    Have the prequels really been de-canonized? It seems more like just not mentioning events from the prequels. Unless there have been statements I have missed that outright contradict them. For instance, simply no longer mentioning the midichlorians is not contradicting their existence.

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    I'd expect Disney to reboot the prequels before they do the OT.
    Well, yeah. If they ever do it, they should start with the prequels so it is more consistent and so that episodes 4, 5 and 6 actually have payoffs from the first three. Not that I really want 4, 5 and 6 to be redone and I also think it would be a huge practical mistake. Although, ironically, my best friend, way back in 1983, predicted that some day some movie executive would say, "Hey, we've got actors who are stars now who were not stars or even born when Star Wars started and we've got special effects now that were never dreamed of then so, for totally superficial reasons (and because there's the potential for crazy profits), let's do a completely unnecessary remake of some of the greatest movies ever made."

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    I sure that even Disney wouldn't dare to even think of such atrocity.
    Especially after the LJ and Solo fiascos.

Besides, The Force Awakens is basically a remake of New Hope.
    I don't want to again start a TLJ argument. I will just say that TLJ was not a fiasco unless you consider the biggest movie of its year and over a billion dollars to be a fiasco. Yes it was divisive but an undeniable super success. "Solo" was not so much a fiasco as simply vastly less profitable than predicted yet not particularly divisive.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Disney does not care about canon. Once the franchise gets a little longer in the tooth they will reboot it. In about twenty to twenty-five years I can easily see Disney rebooting the whole thing. The new movies by the Game Of Thrones guys is rumored to take place during the time of the Knights Of The Old Republic era. That era takes place wayyyyy before the original trilogy. We still don't know if Rian's project will even get made. Disney has also said that they are no longer doing stand-alone movies anymore either.
    Oh, absolutely. In twenty to twenty-five years, sure. But I will most likely be dead by then so I really don't care about that far off.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Have the prequels really been de-canonized? It seems more like just not mentioning events from the prequels. Unless there have been statements I have missed that outright contradict them. For instance, simply no longer mentioning the midichlorians is not contradicting their existence.
    I think the poster is talking about the tie-in materials made before Disney (the so-called Expanded Universe, or "EU"). Those got decanonized in favor of new tie-ins that fit into canon a lot better and synced with the new movies, and there have been fans incredibly angry over it ever since (as in people who felt that the tie-ins, not the movies, were the most important aspect of the franchise).
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

It'll happen. Just not for many, many, many, many more years. The franchise would have to be defunct for a while.

Extraordinary Member

Zero. The very first thing Disney did when they got this property was bring back Han and Leia and tease the hell out of Luke. They played homage to Vader, the original lightsaber, the Millenium Falcon, etc. The second film was literally the big "Luke Skywalker returns" film. Now this film the Death Star remains, Luke talking, Leia there, and the Emperor coming back in some capacity.

They will never reboot the original.

BANNED

Never will happen