Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Love a no hitter, but not at the expense of injury or exhaustion this early in the season.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Love a no hitter, but not at the expense of injury or exhaustion this early in the season.
    It didn't help that Bauer walked six batters, driving up his pitch count, otherwise, he might well have finished the no-hitter.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Makes me glad Max Fried had his perfect game broken up after 5 and 2/3s, made the choice a whole lot easier
    speaking of whom Fried was stunningly good last night, retired his first 17 batters and frankly overpowered pretty much the entire Cubs lineup, a left handed pitcher with a 95-97mph fastball and then bust a absolutely nasty curve ball in the mid to low 70s combined with a plus changeup and slider is absolutely unfair. Braves farm system continues to bear fruit.

My Phillies shrugged off a cold, rainy night at Citzens Bank Park, a shaky outing by starter Nick Pivetta and a five hit evening (including a cycle) by Minnesota’s Jorge Polanco to pummel the Twins, 10-4.

I'm obviously very much enjoying the Mariners hot start. It's been fun.

But the really interesting thing is this team could, and maybe very well should be 10-0. The bullpen blew our two losses. Mismanagement of the bullpen allowed it to happen. But both games, the Mainers had the lead. Bullpens are volatile, and ours was never supposed to be great, but the fact that this team really should be 10-0 is kind of ridiculous.

The Mets put together a pretty decent try at a comeback today against Scherzer and the Nationals. They were down 12-1 at the 7th Inning stretch and then ended the game 12-9. A loss is a loss, but it was still encouraging. They may not be the best team in baseball, but they've been exciting.

After pounding Minnesota to the tune of ten runs Friday night, the Phillies managed only four runs the next two games, but split those games, ending with a 2-1 win on Sunday, highlighted by a Rhys Hoskins homer in the sixth that provided the winning margin. Zach Eflin was pretty darn good, allowing just one run over seven innings, and the bullpen held fast to preserve the victory. Next up, a visit by the Nats starting tomorrow night.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Watching the PBS documentary on Ted Williams and while he had a temper with things (led to divorces , etc) but also was a defining trait of someone who as his daughter claims was very old school.

- His daughter and others said he would visit sick kids dying of cancer and would stay with them. Telling the hospital if they invited the press he wouldn't ever come back. This was for the kids . One held his finger and Williams told em to pull up a bed for him so he could lie there with him even after he fell asleep. His daughter claims he'd be so mad and all at kids not getting a chance. That whatever her dad didn't understand he'd swear and be angry about.

- He didn't want to serve in Korea as he felt he had already done his service in WW2 and didn't want to miss anymore playing time. But his appeals to political figures didn't work. So he was angry and had to go serve. A fact he was shot down in a plane and landed it ! Which itself ended in a funny way as the Captain raced over as Williams had landed the plane and ran before it exploded in flames. He had Williams sign a paper which as Ted told a fellow pilot. "Can you believe that son of a b-tch , I get shot down and he wants an autograph !"

- Williams struggled in 1959 at the age of 40. He had a neck stinger and his batting average fell below .300 for the 1st time. People mused about retirement but Williams planned to do 1 more season. He visited the Red Sox GM who wanted to hand Williams his usual salary of $125,000 a year. Ted Williams told him no...he would take a pay cut as he didn't deserve that and only took a $95,000 salary ! A fact Bob Costas said this echoed Williams outlook on everything , "I only get paid what I deserve..."

- The final game Williams hit a HR at his final at bat. The players , opposing players and coach all wanted him to take a bow and exit. Williams declined and waived to the pitcher to go on. In the 9th inning Williams own coach tried to get that final bow done as he forced Williams to go out to outfield . Then substituted him out comically forcing Williams to walk back as Williams swore about this.

- His daughter brings up how her dad was a 1st ballet Hall of Famer and that MLB officials came to him and told him to not mention anything political like Satchel Page etc not being in the MLB Hall of Fame. As she joked , no one ever tells Ted Williams what he would say or do. So he got up there and made a big point to mention it. A year later they started getting inducted and many credited to that.

- Williams wasn't good with relationships but tried to be a good father after it. He was close to his son as its showed John Henry. A fact his daughter claims , he wasn't good with women ..but here is a little boy and he'll be my pal. A fact that Williams gets a call in 1999 to do the All-Star Game to come out at Fenway. He's sick clearly as he's had 2 strokes and not feeling well. So the guy tells Williams that a company is gonna pay him 6 figures to wear their logo if he comes out. Williams asks about wearing his son's business logo instead if that would help and the guy claims it would...so he decided to do it.

- Williams had a bit of a great final moment at that All-Star game as all the players and coaches gathered around him , praising him . Wanting to shake his hand . A fact the PA announcer pleaded for minutes for them to let Williams go to mound n throw the 1st pitch out. They ignored it and Williams loved it.

- His daughter brings up the cryonics and how her dad at 1st laughed it off. But as he got closer to his mortality he saw how sad his kids were so he decided to do it. They all know its a small , slim chance they ever see him again but they wanted to do it.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

the Braves rookie pitcher Max Fried once again was extremely impressive in his second start, going 6 with no earned runs again for his second win in Coors field no less

deGrom's streak finally ends as he gets lit up by the Twins for 6 runs in 4 innings

Chris Archer was suspended 6 games and Yasiel Puig for 2 games for the melee

My Phillies suffered a serious hiccup against Washington last night. Staked to a 6-1 lead after four innings, staff ace Aaron Nola faltered, giving up five runs, then the bullpen melted down, allowing the nats to tie the score in the ninth, followed by surrendering four more in the tenth, resulting in a fall from ahead 10-6 loss. Most frustrating. I'm sure Phillies fans will be screaming bloody murder on sports talk radio for the team to sign Craig Kimbrel immediately, but that's not going to happen as the team seems happy with their closer du jour strategy, even though it blew up in their faces last night.

The Mariners are doing some pretty unexpected things... it's a lot of fun!

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post

- Williams had a bit of a great final moment at that All-Star game as all the players and coaches gathered around him , praising him . Wanting to shake his hand . A fact the PA announcer pleaded for minutes for them to let Williams go to mound n throw the 1st pitch out. They ignored it and Williams loved it.

- His daughter brings up the cryonics and how her dad at 1st laughed it off. But as he got closer to his mortality he saw how sad his kids were so he decided to do it. They all know its a small , slim chance they ever see him again but they wanted to do it.
    I was able to see that All-Star game and it was pretty funny hearing the announcer ask the players to leave the field. I had never heard or seen something like that in baseball before.

I don't know if it's true but I recall reading somewhere that the cryogenics folks dropped Williams's head because that's the only part I believe they froze.

When Williams died Nomar Garciapara was the Red Sox shortstop. He used to get calls from Williams in the dug out after an at bat.

Braves continue to lock up their young players this time extending Ozzie Albies to 7 years with two club options at the insanely club friendly price of 35 million

An official announcement will be made on Tuesday, but the word is out: the 2026 All-Star Game will be in Philadelphia to celebrate the country's 250th anniversary:

https://www.philly.com/phillies/phil...-20190411.html

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    Braves continue to lock up their young players this time extending Ozzie Albies to 7 years with two club options at the insanely club friendly price of 35 million
    And apparently, no one outside of Atlanta likes the deal:

Albies contract called worst ever by MLB executives, players