Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Mutant subculture

We've seen glimpses of it, but it's been a while since we had focus on it. What would you like to see in mutant subculture that didn't involve "going extinct" or "sent to an alternate reality"?

Casual mutant vs. Inhuman basketball games. The pride of your species is on the line.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

BANNED

Who "owns" the mutant subculture?

Mutants themselves come from lots of different cultures.

Is it a British mutant subculture? A Western African mutant subculture? A Japanese/Chinese/Vietnamese/Korean blended mutant subculture?

Is the mutant subculture in Seattle, Washington the same as the one in Miami, Florida?

Can there be "a" mutant subculture? Who designs, qualifies, quantifies, and certifies what is "the" mutant subculture? And if you're a mutant who doesn't buy-in to "this" mutant subculture, are you a traitor? Or is it cool enough to be a part of "that" mutant subculture (which means there is no singular subculture)?
    Last edited by Star_Jammer; 03-31-2019 at 09:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post

Is it a British mutant subculture? A Western African mutant subculture? A Japanese/Chinese/Vietnamese/Korean blended mutant subculture?

Can there be "a" mutant subculture?
    We need to see what nonsense Bronx mutants get up to.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

BANNED

Is the mutant subculture in Seattle, Washington the same as the one in Miami, Florida?

Can there be "a" mutant subculture? Who designs, qualifies, quantifies, and certifies what is "the" mutant subculture? And if you're a mutant who doesn't buy-in to "this" mutant subculture, are you a traitor?
    LGBT people come from many different cultures, but that doesn't change there's a queer subculture.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    LGBT people come from many different cultures, but that doesn't change there's a queer subculture.
    I'd agree that there are queer subcultures, yes.

But not one unifying subculture.

One thing that bothers me is that “mutant culture” seems to be informed by the tropes of the X-Men, rather than the tropes of the Morlocks, Acolytes, or Dazzler... or even old circus Freakshow performative behavior.
    Last edited by CRaymond; 03-31-2019 at 09:28 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    One thing that bothers me is that “mutant culture” seems to be informed by the tropes of the X-Men, rather than the tropes of the Morlocks, Acolytes, or Dazzler... or even old circus Freakshow performative behavior.
    And seems USA-centric, as well.

And seems USA-centric, as well.
    Yeah that too. I mean I get that our protagonists are based in USA normally, but Genosha is an AFRICAN island in the INDIAN ocean. That confluence of factors suggests an entirely different way of looking at mutant fashion, customs, and cuisine.

Yeah, many disenfranchised groups find solace in one another despite being vastly different people from all over the place. There doesn’t really need to be anything that qualifies what mutant culture/subculture is besides the existence of mutants in a space where they can express themselves. Like the Morrison era had a lot of elements like Mutant Town, X-Corps, mutant-only academia, etc etc.

It would be nice to have mutants that don't necessarily agree with the X-Men way of life and aren't simply portrayed as terrorists like the Brotherhood/MLF. Like, the MLF did make some points at the start of Dissassembled but of course that was just left as a throwaway line during that event (hopefully the next Uncanny issue also shows a less one-sided point of view)

More non-US/Euro mutant groups would be great as well, like people have said

Can there be "a" mutant subculture? Who designs, qualifies, quantifies, and certifies what is "the" mutant subculture? And if you're a mutant who doesn't buy-in to "this" mutant subculture, are you a traitor? Or is it cool enough to be a part of "that" mutant subculture (which means there is no singular subculture)?
    probby the black mutants
    []

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    probby the black mutants
    []
    Too bad we only get one every decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    As mandated by multinational corporations through marketing and media, perhaps, but not really.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

mutants with powers that are so similar it's uncomfortable for them to share the same panels...sharing the same panels
    Last edited by sungila; 04-06-2019 at 04:35 PM.
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”
    ― Miguel de Cervantes Don Quixote