Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    spoilers:

someone explain how hope is the villain of the issue. quickly.
    end of spoilers
    Easy, spoilers:
    hope was doing what cable Logan and xforce did for years, was then being talked down by cyclops, but Logan had to get more screen time and be the only xmen to kill people so he attacked while cyclops was talking her down this also meaning the loss of Scott's eye is logans fault technical. The fact that major x shown more love for the xmen is sad
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by bladeofdarkness View Post
    spoilers:
    The year where attacking and murdering people whose speech you disagree with, regardless to how horrible you find it, is unacceptable.

The same year as every year in a civilised society
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I know that, but the narrative of "both sides, racists and anti-racists can be just as bad" today generates cringe. The problem is not the X-men defending these people as much as creating a situation where that is the story you tell. Like when in Disassembled Bishop returns the poster of "God hates mutants" to a racist and calls him sir.

They look like anti-racism messages from the 80s ... today.

The problem is not the X-men saving lives, that of course is good, it's the background with which they sell it to you.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Glio; 04-03-2019 at 03:38 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    spoilers:
    It is a disgrace to see the X-men defend racists. And transform Hope into a villain just to reinforce the "Everything Cyclops did is wrong."

This is a disaster. What year do they think they are?
    end of spoilers
    I don't mind it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    spoilers:
    This was an interesting issue. I don't know how I feel about it

-Havok explains that Hope isn't dead as she absorbed Logan's healing factor, the MLF are in the basement, Banshee is on the roof, and the New Mutants are cured of the TO Virus
    -Dani, Shan, Illyana, and Rahne all walk out, cured and able to only slightly have personalities again.
    -filler drama ensues before Dark Beast explains that Warlock has spread himself thin between all his hosts so he wouldn't accidentally consume them. And that Warlock needs a "true host" to completely consume in order to lure him out of the New Mutants. And that true host is obviously.....Jamie Madrox's dupe. Who says: "Hello...friend. Please kill me."

someone explain how hope is the villain of the issue. quickly.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:

First surprise: I would have thought that it was Banshee who destroyed Scott's eyes but it seems that it is Hope.

Second surprise: Hope didn't die as I predicted because she has Wolvie's powers.

So who actually removed the TO virus from the New Mutants? The Dark Beast or Warlock himself?

Since one of Scott's eyes is destroyed, does that mean his eye blast is less powerful now because he can only blast from one eye.

end of spoilers

Can't wait to get my hands on this issue. Thanks a lot

spoilers:
    I still believe that Hope is going to die. Only not yet. She will not always have Logan next. When she dies it will be a symbol of how everything Cyclops did was wrong. And how "hope" dies.

You know, that's what Logan and Scott need right now. Another teenager who dies to inspire them.
    end of spoilers

BANNED

spoilers:
    I still believe that Hope is going to die. Only not yet. She will not always have Logan next. When she dies it will be a symbol of how everything Cyclops did was wrong. And how "hope" dies.

You know, that's what Logan and Scott need right now. Another teenager who dies to inspire them.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    If the writer really wanted Hope dead, this would be the perfect issue.

Why revive her from a fatal shot from Wolvie only to die one issue later?

end of spoilers

Incredible Member bladeofdarkness's Avatar

spoilers:
    I know that, but the narrative of "both sides, racists and anti-racists can be just as bad" today generates cringe. The problem is not the X-men defending these people as much as creating a situation where that is the story you tell. Like when in Disassembled Bishop returns the poster of "God hates mutants" to a racist and calls him sir.

They look like anti-racism messages from the 80s ... today.

The problem is not the X-men saving lives, that of course is good, it's the background with which they sell it to you.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Part of the problem is you'll always have an issue with selling mutant-hate for racism because you can't ever show real progress on the issue.
    The whole franchise is built of the idea of mutants being perscuted, so you can't ever have the concept advance.

And that's not even getting into the whole "superpowers" thing that makes people being scared of mutants fairly reasonable in the larger context when compared to real world racism.

I've been saying it for a while that the "classic" expressions are racism this franchise has been built around is out of synch with modern expressions - but it's hard to sell "subtle" depictions of racism in a superhero comic.
    end of spoilers

Astonishing Member

spoilers:

end of spoilers
    That's so stupid and lazy it's probably true.

Quote Originally Posted by bladeofdarkness View Post
    spoilers:
    Part of the problem is you'll always have an issue with selling mutant-hate for racism because you can't ever show real progress on the issue.
    The whole franchise is built of the idea of mutants being perscuted, so you can't ever have the concept advance.

And that's not even getting into the whole "superpowers" thing that makes people being scared of mutants fairly reasonable in the larger context when compared to real world racism.

I've been saying it for a while that the "classic" expressions are racism this franchise has been built around is out of synch with modern expressions - but it's hard to sell "subtle" depictions of racism in a superhero comic.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I agree, it is a structural problem and difficult to solve but that does not make it disappear.

The kind of stories and metaphors that could be acceptable thirty years do not continue to be so today. The X-men must evolve with the times. I would not have so much trouble if the evil mutants were attacking innocent humans, but when you put the X-Men to defend a copy of Richard Spencer, even though we know that killing him is wrong, it's awkward to read.

end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by jalsrix View Post
    spoilers:
    If the writer really wanted Hope dead, this would be the perfect issue.

Why revive her from a fatal shot from Wolvie only to die one issue later?

end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Because if they want her death to be tragic they can not make Wolverine kill her.

And because Wolverine does not need more dead children/teens.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Glio; 04-03-2019 at 04:05 AM.

spoilers:
    Hope is the villain for the same reason the Punisher is a villain, because going out and murdering people because they do the bad is the bad that the good don't do. Actually, she's worse, at least Frank is hunting armed people like animals.

And political assassinations would never be good for mutants or any agenda about a persecuted group because you're just justifying the fear and racism, creating a martyr, and helping perpetuate the cycle you want to break.

Scott before he died would've never done this, so I guess back then he was too soft for Hope, but he was also smart, with a functioning brain.

So, once again, CYCLOPS WAS RIGHT!
    end of spoilers
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    spoilers:
    Hope is the villain for the same reason the Punisher is a villain, because going out and murdering people because they do the bad is the bad that the good don't do. Actually, she's worse, at least Frank is hunting armed people like animals.

And political assassinations would never be good for mutants or any agenda about a persecuted group because you're just justifying the fear and racism, creating a martyr, and helping perpetuate the cycle you want to break.

Scott before he died would've never done this, so I guess back then he was too soft for Hope, but he was also smart, with a functioning brain.

end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    The problem is that Hope has never before been seen as capable of anything like this. Her reaction to Cable's death is no different than when Emma "went crazy" with Scott's death.

end of spoilers

spoilers:
    The problem is that Hope has never before been seen as capable of anything like this. Her reaction to Cable's death is no different than when Emma "went crazy" with Scott's death.

end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    In the regular universe? true she would never do it, in the Rosenverse? that's another story?
    end of spoilers.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

That was ... strange.

I felt like reading a Jeph Loeb's book. Or fanfic.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    spoilers:

end of spoilers
    I agree. Cyke won't assassinate political leaders.

spoilers:

end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    This is the X-Office! Whadd'ya want?! Strong characterization? Plans that make sense? This ain't the Avengers, pal.
    end of spoilers
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate