Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    List your favorite character that transitioned from one hero or power to another. It has to be the same person going from one phase to another. ....

Some examples:
    Dick Grayson - Robin/Nightwing/Ric(?)
    Ayla Ranzz - Lightning Lass/Light Lass/back to Lightning Lass
    Roy Harper - Speedy/Arsenal
    I know this isn't a a popular opinion here, but sorry the truth is Robin to Nightwing was a step down, the most interesting thing about Nightwing will always be that he was Robin to Batman.
    Grayson's Robin identity will always have the most cachet; particularly Grayson's take (going back to the Golden age where he's the young ,devilmaycare, daredevil, solo taking on Zucco (his parents killers) and the mob, somersaulting, slingshoting and kicking mobsters (even the Joker) off city skyscrapers to their death! So much that Batman has to intervene to save them from Robin. This will always be the definitive version, who Batman recognized in himself, had to real in, and take under his wing, so he wouldn't become that.

DC has forever since been trying to retrieve that, with all these crap derivative "re-imaginings" of the character, so they can have the young version back, and new readers can tell themselves look how edgy Robin is now, with mostly (creepy clones) trying to imitate the original. LOL!

With an inherent ongoing sliding-time-scale being the lifeblood of comics characters and why they've lasted so long, (despite some fans here pretending aging them is the way to go) One of the worst moves DC did was aging this character to Nightwing, when the only update he needed was a costume, adding green/black leggings cape and full boots.
    Which Neal Addam's pretty much came up with for Grayson anyway, and every "new" incarnation has shamelessly with out credit been appropriating since. : )
    g[/IMG]
    Last edited by Güicho; 06-04-2019 at 02:36 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    Dick Grayson - Robin - Nightwing
    This, without a doubt, #1.

I think Wally's slow-burn evolution over the years is what does it for me. There's Kid Flash, then there's the outright brash/stupid/boorish Wally of the Baron/early Messner-Loebs era, then the gradual maturity and development into the character that Messner-Loebs and Waid and Johns wrote so well and so many fans love.

While I don't like the way Barbara became Oracle, I can't deny that I *love* the character she became. Crossovers and Oracle are what I think of when I think of 90s/00s Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    I know this isn't a a popular opinion here, but sorry the truth is Robin to Nightwing was a step down, the most interesting thing about Nightwing will always be that he was Robin to Batman.
    Grayson's Robin identity will always have the most cachet; particularly Grayson's take (going back to the Golden age where he's the young ,devilmaycare, daredevil, solo taking on Zucco (his parents killers) and the mob, somersaulting, slingshoting and kicking mobsters (even the Joker) off city skyscrapers to their death! So much that Batman has to intervene to save them from Robin. This will always be the definitive version, who Batman recognized in himself, had to real in, and take under his wing, so he wouldn't become that.
    DC has forever since been trying to retrieve that, with all these crap derivative "re-imaginings" of the character, so they can have the young version back, and new readers can tell themselves look how edgy Robin is now, with mostly (creepy clones) trying to imitate the original. LOL!
    With an inherent ongoing sliding-time-scale being the lifeblood of comics characters and why they've lasted so long, (despite some fans here pretending aging them is the way to go) One of the worst moves DC did was aging this character to Nightwing, when the only update he needed was a costume, adding green/black leggings cape and full boots.
    Which Neal Addam's pretty much came up with for Grayson anyway, and every "new" incarnation has shamelessly with out credit been appropriating since.

Lightning Lass to Light Lass didn't make much difference, more essential were costume upgrades. .

Name Speedy (and more importantly costume upgrade) to Arsenal wasn't bad.

Kid Flash (Wally) to Flash was pretty good, although completley riding on the epic tragedy and sacrifice of Barry Allen, by end had one exhausting story beat his fans repeat like a mantra, "I have to live up to Barry's legacy" which once played out, rendered the character completely uninteresting. Everything interesting he was came from Barry. (just don't tell them that)

I always thought back in Titans 1976, Malcolm Duncan, who was already a legit Titan, dawning the exo-skeleton suit and adding the Guardian armor, to become the New Guardian was bad ass!

I guess they thought Harper would be back, and wanted something more his own for Mal, hence Hornblower/Vox which honestly sucked.
    I know YJ has explored it too, They should have Mal take this gear and name back for good.
    Or if Harper has to have the name, just call him Defender or Sentinel.

Dicks problem is nightwing is still sidekick. Dc is to scared to truly spin the character off with his own franchise, so nightwing will aways be looked as the young adult who's scared to leave daddy's house.

Default Robin/nightwing and others

Delusion 1. Grayson will one day replace Batman, that is what he was designed for that's his calling the most interesting thing about him.
    Delusion 2. Grayson transcends his identity with Batman, he's about becoming his own thing. That is the most interesting thing about him.

Fact α. The only reason anyone is aware of, or cares about Grayson is cause he was Batman's sidekick, that fact will ALWAYS be the most prescient and interesting thing about him.
    Fact Ω. NOTHING you or anyone currently at DC come up with about him, will ever make anyone care about him. more, or be more interesting than, or transend that fact.

The same goes for all these "new" derivative little wannabe Robin clones, they keep churning out, are all once trying to recapture the most interesting and valuable thing about Grayson, and sell it to a new generation as "new".
    While Grayson fans are left wondering why doesn't anyone find Grayson interesting outside of that. LOL.
    Last edited by Güicho; 12-19-2023 at 02:48 PM.

I would say Grayson with the Titans has solidified when operating without Batman but the Titans are best also when he is Robin and I have gone back and reviewed/read his Golden Age material and he is exceptionally better than Nightwing by discovering Islands, Traveling in Time or the Otherworld’s and enjoying life with so many possible career paths like becoming a comic book writer, law etc. but as Nightwing he is stuck to one city, has no life outside being a superhero and constantly obsesses over Batman something the Golden Age Robin would not be doing at Nightwings age because he had such a awesome time as Robin.