Default DC - What Future

Now that we are on the eve of the release of Shazam which will be the 7th Movie in the DCEU, which todate has 2 successful movies only. Maybe with Shazam, the recent streak of success can be continued.
    But in general the DC world seems in crisis, comic sales are not good to be kind, in merchandise they seem to lag well behind Marvel.

I would like your opinion about what's good in Dc and naturally whats wrong. Besides what can be done to revamp its failings.

What fans can do? Does DC listens to its fans?

Thanks

DC's been running behind Marvel for a dog's age. Long as they have the trinity I think they'll be fine. I'm enjoying a lot of what they're putting out lately on the comics side and the movie slate seems much more promising than it did circa Justice League.

Do not panic.

The comics industry has been predicting its own doom since the end of World War II when comics sales took their first big hit.

70 years later, they're still here.

I don't know that DC lags "well behind" Marvel in merchandise at all. Even grandmas will wear a Superman T-shirt. I guess it just depends on what merchandise we're talking about -- maybe movie tie-in stuff.

Comic sales are not good for ANYONE. Marvel cranks out a lot of number ones and incentive variants that artificially increase sales to comics stores, but lots of copies are left on the shelves, so they don't make it into the hands of actual customers. Even the Marvels that are bought don't seem to retain the high sales of their first issues and are often canceled by issue 6 or 12. Some are relaunched, most are not.

Also, it doesn't even matter how much or how little DC "lags behind" Marvel in terms of sales any more than it matters how much Pepsi lags behind Coke. That's just bragging rights. Both companies can stay in business. If Archie can stay in business, DC has nothing to worry about.

DC and Marvel are actually in stronger positions than ever thanks to their IPs getting worldwide fame in the entertainment industry. Both companies are owned by multibillion dollar conglomerates that have deep pockets. DC is worth keeping around even as a loss leader to stoke sales and demand for branded merchandise featuring their characters -- everything from T-shirts to toys to video games to theme park rides. Comics staying in continuous publication and having a visible presence in the book store market keeps the DC IP from becoming dead characters like The Shadow or Doc Savage.

And as far as DC only having 2 successful movies, well the reality is that they've all been profitable except for Justice League even if they haven't all been as universally loved as WW and AM.

DC is experimenting with new formats to get their stories into more hands like the Wal-Mart deal and the new book imprints DC Zoom and DC Ink -- plus digital. So, there might be changes in the ways that comics look and how they are distributed and consumed, and as I said in another thread, I think DC SHOULD start designing their comics to be more widescreen TV friendly and make digital comics that fans can read on their TVs a priority rather than an afterthought.

But let's stop with all the gloom and doom talk because DC characters and DC Comics itself will always exist. They just need to make those hard decisions that get comics out of the LCS ghetto, which it seems that they have started to do.
    Last edited by Comic-Reader Lad; 03-29-2019 at 02:43 AM.

Fantastic Member qwertyuiop1998's Avatar

About
    comic sales are not good to be kind, in merchandise they seem to lag well behind Marvel.
    This part.
    This happened decade years.DC sales less than marvel is complicated and had historical factor involve.
    As far as i see,they two both facing a lot of problems.Essentially tge solution for this dilimma is very simple:Give more money to good stories and writers.
    But this is impossible with i don't need explaining complicate reasons
    "Dangerous Zombie! Transform!! Click And Load! Buggle UP! Danger! Danger! Death The Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!" Kamen Rider Gemn
    (In first he's mysterious and evil and now he's psycho and crazy and insane and evil AND "The Meme Lord"LOL.)

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Do not panic.

The comics industry has been predicting its own doom since the end of World War II when comics sales took their first big hit.

70 years later, they're still here.

I don't know that DC lags "well behind" Marvel in merchandise at all. Even grandmas will wear a Superman T-shirt. I guess it just depends on what merchandise we're talking about -- maybe movie tie-in stuff.

Comic sales are not good for ANYONE. Marvel cranks out a lot of number ones and incentive variants that artificially increase sales to comics stores, but lots of copies are left on the shelves, so they don't make it into the hands of actual customers. Even the Marvels that are bought don't seem to retain the high sales of their first issues and are often canceled by issue 6 or 12. Some are relaunched, most are not.

Also, it doesn't even matter how much or how little DC "lags behind" Marvel in terms of sales any more than it matters how much Pepsi lags behind Coke. That's just bragging rights. Both companies can stay in business. If Archie can stay in business, DC has nothing to worry about.

DC and Marvel are actually in stronger positions than ever thanks to their IPs getting worldwide fame in the entertainment industry. Both companies are owned by multibillion dollar conglomerates that have deep pockets. DC is worth keeping around even as a loss leader to stoke sales and demand for branded merchandise featuring their characters -- everything from T-shirts to toys to video games to theme park rides. Comics staying in continuous publication and having a visible presence in the book store market keeps the DC IP from becoming dead characters like The Shadow or Doc Savage.

And as far as DC only having 2 successful movies, well the reality is that they've all been profitable except for Justice League even if they haven't all been as universally loved as WW and AM.

DC is experimenting with new formats to get their stories into more hands like the Wal-Mart deal and the new book imprints DC Zoom and DC Ink -- plus digital. So, there might be changes in the ways that comics look and how they are distributed and consumed, and as I said in another thread, I think DC SHOULD start designing their comics to be more widescreen TV friendly and make digital comics that fans can read on their TVs a priority rather than an afterthought.

But let's stop with all the gloom and doom talk because DC characters and DC Comics itself will always exist. They just need to make those hard decisions that get comics out of the LCS ghetto, which it seems that they have started to do.
    Well said! These characters won't be leaving us anytime soon!!

I have to say....I'm a huge DC fan but love comics in general. As much as I love the DC characters, I've also been a huge Marvel fan as well as many indie titles (TMNT being one of my favorites). With that said, I honestly don't know what's going on with Marvel Comics anymore. Their universe just seems so muddled to me. I really WANT to read more Marvel books, but it's just so messy! As it stands, I'm faithfully a Daredevil reader and I do pick up random titles here and there, but my Marvel collecting is nothing like it was in the 80's and 90's. They have some truly great characters, but their numerous reboots, crossovers, etc, just ruined the enjoyment for me. Every now and then I try to get back into X-Men titles but I give up in frustration.

DC may be guilty of reboots, crossovers, etc, as well, but to me they have a much more cohesive universe. Marvel is a mess..... which I wish they would clean up.