Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spectacular Member

Trying to figure out how to delete a post - nothing to see here!
    Last edited by LegoLiz; 03-30-2019 at 07:27 PM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    This was a big issue, though I was surprised by the parts that impacted me most.

I particularly enjoyed Gambit's inner monologue at the beginning. It's rarely recognized on page that what these characters have been through impacts them and changes them. We've seen Remy go from his late teens to his mid-20's and during the course of that time lived through hardships, loss, built relationships and had near death experiences. So it follows suit, especially from where he left off in the Asmus series, that he has changed as a person and come to a place where he has more maturity, direction, and purpose in life. I am SUPER curious what this will entail. Also I LOVED the art in his opening sequence.

This was a huge issue for Rogue. I get that people feel this was a rehash or that it took a long time to get here. But that was kind of the point. Rogue has been fighting and avoiding acknowledgement of her trauma most of her adult life. Only by being backed into a corner with no options for escape (out of control powers hurting her loved ones and nearly melting down her brain) was she forced to take a hard look at herself and realize the truth. That she is doing this to herself. It's a defense mechanism. The reasoning rings so true and while it may seem like a simple solution, it is understandably hard to face that you have been subconsciously doing something that makes you miserable. So many people should be able to relate to this from a mental health standpoint. From a writing standpoint this leaves Rogue with a great narrative going forward, because it's something she will always struggle with, her particular cross to bear. But now she has the tools to overcome it herself, so it can't be easily taken away either. I am really looking forward to seeing her power struggles and forward progress in the next several issues! By starting to acknowledge and put her fears aside, she can move forward with her life and embrace it.

Both characters state they "want it all". I am interested to see this discussion unfold!

Now for that adorable 6-armed mystery baby ... that maybe isn't a baby?! Spiral needs it, but doesn't know who or what it is. Mojoworld's residents also need it and don't see it as a baby. Why is Remy seeing a baby? What deal did he make with the citizens?

I am enjoying the mystery of this caper and very curious how it all connects to Spiral.
    I just read this and I realize we have very similar thoughts! And agreed, I loved art and Gambit’s monologue in the opening scene.

Fantastic analysis LegoLiz! Really enjoyed seeing the classic quotes again, because it's so interesting to revisit them in this new context and you articulated the crux of this issue so well.

(I also want to be on record that the opening with Remy was hot hot hot!)

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpyshark View Post
    Fantastic analysis LegoLiz! Really enjoyed seeing the classic quotes again, because it's so interesting to revisit them in this new context and you articulated the crux of this issue so well.
    (I also want to be on record that the opening with Remy was hot hot hot!)
    Thanks so much Jumpyshark! It was fun to go back and review those issues (I’m currently taking a #konmari approach to my comic book collection so I’m hoping it will be much faster to locate past issues when content is brought up again). To me, it looks like Kelly Thompson really does go back and analyze these significant moments for these characters, to honour what happened before and to push them forward in an honest and realistic way.

AND YES! If you need to go on record about anything, it must be Gambit’s hot opening scene. I am in total agreement here.

Quote Originally Posted by rogueisbae View Post
    I think the most important takeaway from this issue is the root of Rogue’s inability to control her powers—the events that took place in Genosha. It was implied (but handled poorly) back then at the time of its publication that she was sexually assaulted to a certain a degree by the guards when she had her powers stripped away, but it was made much clearer in this issue itself, based on her resistance and denial on confronting this specific trauma (“I don’t want to think about what happened here...”). What I understood from this series of panels is that her skin had always subconsciously been on defense mode ever since this incident, more so than ever before, to protect her (“If nobody could touch me then nobody could hurt me. I wouldn’t have to risk anything, my heart, my body”). She buried this so deep in her memory that she’s essentially trapped there till her present self appeared and “rescued” her after accepting what happened and is ready to conquer that fear. In a way, it’s much more organic than Charles and Danger “fixing” her in Legacy and her problems just magically disappearing; this feels more like an on-going process that may involve a few obstacles along the way. But we haven’t seen yet how her powers have evolved with control; before this issue, she would ALWAYS involuntarily absorb everyone around her without touching them and had to use a suppression collar. I don’t know if she’ll still retain the part about not needing to touch anyone to absorb them?
    Just read this! Sorry playing catch up.

Excellent observation that you describe so wonderfully “her skin had always subconsciously been on defense mode.” Also, regarding her absorption powers, I have been wondering the same thing. Will she be Rogue be able to absorb people without touching them? Seems like an incredible power to have…she’d be too powerful. There must be a downside.

Quote Originally Posted by magneticmushroom View Post
    Just when it finally feels we're getting to canonically-important character development, the book is about to get canceled. Poop. I wish this book was selling better. Gambit & Rogue as a duo, away from the larger X-teams really works for me.

It's also been nice watching Oscar Bazaldua's art improve a lot and evolve a little over the course of a year. Wasn't familiar with his work prior to this, but now I look forward to his next project.
    Yes magneticmushroom. I completely agree. I know there have been no formal announcements, but it does feel like we are only getting 12 for this series. But once again, it's been a gift. And agreed, I do feel like we are finally getting to a place where we can focus on other things beyond the issues that have plagued this duo in the past and we can now put it behind them and explore other character dynamics individually/together about them. And think about all the other stories we could have explored now. Kinda worried how this will look under another author's pen (if that happens) or hopefully Kelly will get a team book with Gambit and Rogue? But I will miss this series so much. It has been so nice that when opening a new comic book, I didn't have to scan all the pages for the Gambit and Rogue pages to read that first. With the mini and MMX, every page was on them and I loved it.
    Last edited by LegoLiz; 04-01-2019 at 07:37 AM.