Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Astonishing Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

That's a pretty good breakdown of the main character humor. I'd say that Ollie's humor is great. It's often raunchy and in your face, and he can be really biting with his sarcasm at times.

Also I'd draw a distinction between characters who try to be funny, and those that we laugh at for being unintentionally funny. Batman can be funny when he disarms the reader with clever wit and a smirk, but he's also funny when he himself is acting ridiculous, or gets frustrated in a comedic way by someone else, usually a fellow hero. Hawkman I think is also unintentionally funny in his stark masculinity.

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

I enjoy all sorts of humor that's above the level of a toilet bowl, even things like "It sure is dark in here." etched on somebody's cremation urn. All my favorite characters have a sense of humor: Wally/Flash, Superman, Bart, Blue & Gold, the entire Justice League International (original flavor) cast. Alfred. Alfred could make me smile just by lifting a haughty eyebrow. J'onn having near nervous breakdowns dealing with Blue Beetle and Booster Gold. Wally's self deprecation.

I can't just pick one!
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    Also I'd draw a distinction between characters who try to be funny, and those that we laugh at for being unintentionally funny. Batman can be funny when he disarms the reader with clever wit and a smirk, but he's also funny when he himself is acting ridiculous, or gets frustrated in a comedic way by someone else, usually a fellow hero. Hawkman I think is also unintentionally funny in his stark masculinity.
    This is a really good point.
    --
    I was contemplating putting Kyle, especially 90s Kyle, as one of my answers, but a lot of the early days stuff that stuck out to me might actually fall under being unintentionally funny to me. Like this:

Also, Alfred is always the right answer.

Jason Todd's quips. Often sarcastic and at times, self-depreciating.

Fantastic Member Potanical Pardon's Avatar

Buzz from PAD's Supergirl.
    Last edited by Potanical Pardon; 03-29-2019 at 10:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Reeve's Clark works for me because it's an extension of his sense of humor. He's having a blast playing up the goofiness. It's a
    private practical joke he's enjoying acting like the biggest goofball he possibly can. I think this scene crystalizes it perfectly. Just look at the big rascally smirk on his face at end when he throws away the bullet. That's why the over the top cartooniness of Reeve's Clark works for me, because he's having so much fun playing the part, he can't help himself from going a little too over the top and yet still manages to get away with it (until Lois figures it out, of course)...

That's a great scene, but in many others, his Clark is so goofy and clumsy is embarrassing and I can't see how anyone can take him seriously enough as a reporter or as a person. It's just too campy. I think he acted less over the top with adult Lana in Superman 3 and it felt more natural and realistic to me. I think I just want less goofiness as Clark. Some awkwardness if fine, I do like it when he acts different as Clark than as Superman, but I still want him to feel like a real person and not just an act.

Fantastic Member Vampire Savior's Avatar

Scaeface and the Ventriloquist is the first thing that comes to mind. I don't know if it's his since of humor, though. It's just his personality I guess. The Al Capone personality always makes me laugh.

I agree with the OP, I like Superman's humor under Bendis.

Deathstroke can usually get a laugh out of me.

Damian makes me laugh. Both of them have that smart ass/trash talk thing down.

When done right the Joker makes me laugh. Alfred is always smooth super funny.

Doomsday Clock has had some good under the radar humor.

I love how darksied
    smiles and grins and laughs
    boastfully at most every attempt
    to distract his goals.
    He is the biggest ham in comics the
    past 40+ years
    Guy has not found a mass murder scene
    or group a helpless Super Heroes
    he has not been able to spread his legs, place his fists against
    his waist, toss out his chest, look skyward and laugh loudly.
    Last edited by My Two Cents; 03-30-2019 at 07:37 PM.

It depends on the writer. I love writers who have a mix of immature and dark sense of humor. Keith Giffen, Gail, and Palmiotti & Amanda Conner.

Loved Giffen’s Ambush Bug (definitely a precursor to Deadpool). Palmiotti and Conner’s Harley Quinn run. Gail’s Secret Six has some very funny and dark moments.

even with temporary amnesia, beetle is hilarious.

Astonishing Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post

even with temporary amnesia, beetle is hilarious.
    He, that’s great. What’s it from?