Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

I preface this with that I still love those early issues of Youngblood that Rob drew and even devoured his return to Cable lo those many years ago after Extreme studios went the way of the do-do. I loved the shapes he used, and the energy in his pages. But this, this was a guy not even giving 10%. The last few years Ive seen his work gradually get more and more...amateurish? You can tell theres absolutely no prep time in his pages anymore, he just plops down whatever is in his head and moves on (I remember a video of him inking his pages while driving a few years back) This book was weak, and a waste of my money. Its a shame, because Rob in his prime was pumping out some truly fun and original work, I just wish we could get that guy back.

Quick, someone cut a little hole into the cover of Major X #1, put a copy of SM/DP #47 underneath, and have Robert Liefeldert sign it.

Canadian Curmudgeon Scott M Davis's Avatar

Rob relies heavily on his inkers and colourists to fix his mistakes.

He once said he can draw a 22 page comic in 2 weeks, which sometimes.. really really shows.
    Pull List: Catalyst Prime Titles and Dinosaucers

Incredible Member

I read my son's copy.

I couldn't have paid for it myself. I'm so glad I didn't, it is absolutely terrible. I'm not someone who subscibes to the thinking that he was ever any good as either an artist, a writer or a creator. I think he's stolen a living for decades off the back of gullible youngsters who have little or no idea what comics can actually be.

This book is a disgrace and Marvel should be ashamed of it.

Astonishing Member

1st issue sold out before it released. Love him or hate him, Liefeld does bring in money as his 1st issues tend to go on a second print...followed by a drop in sales for the following issues.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    1st issue sold out before it released. Love him or hate him, Liefeld does bring in money as his 1st issues tend to go on a second print...followed by a drop in sales for the following issues.
    Yes, but because something sells well that doesn't mean it's any good. The Spice Girls sold more records than The Clash.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Big Joe View Post
    I read my son's copy.

I couldn't have paid for it myself. I'm so glad I didn't, it is absolutely terrible. I'm not someone who subscibes to the thinking that he was ever any good as either an artist, a writer or a creator. I think he's stolen a living for decades off the back of gullible youngsters who have little or no idea what comics can actually be.

This book is a disgrace and Marvel should be ashamed of it.
    I'll never understand all the venomous hate directed towards Rob Liefeld, the man's not Alan Moore or Warren Ellis but he's not trying to be either. There is a place in the marketplace for the kind of fun and overtop books that Liefeld creates, it's an artistic choice that's as equally valid as any of the spandex polemics Marvel has published over the last two decades. Moreover, nobody who buys Major X should be maligned as 'gullible' or 'ignorant', you must respect readers who choose a Liefeld comic and have made a deliberate effort to continue financially support this faltering industry.

BANNED

seriously so many people are way too angry at Liefeld and they come off as actually hateful, should be bannable

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    I'll never understand all the venomous hate directed towards Rob Liefeld, the man's not Alan Moore or Warren Ellis but he's not trying to be either. There is a place in the marketplace for the kind of fun and overtop books that Liefeld creates, it's an artistic choice that's as equally valid as any of the spandex polemics Marvel has published over the last two decades. Moreover, nobody who buys Major X should be maligned as 'gullible' or 'ignorant', you must respect readers who choose a Liefeld comic and have made a deliberate effort to continue financially support this faltering industry.
    I disagree. I don't have to respect anyone for anything. I have absolutely no respect for anyone who enjoyed reading those 40 Shades novels. My wife couldn't get through a single chapter. I have no respect for anyone who buys any music by a winner of Britain's got talent or the X factor. Respect has to be earned. Artwork produced by an artist who can't actually draw is not worth respect in my opinion.

You are right, there's a place in the market for it, but it is not good.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by comeatmebro View Post
    seriously so many people are way too angry at Liefeld and they come off as actually hateful, should be bannable
    Well, I don't hate the guy, I've never met him. I'm not angry, more bemused. I can't see how anyone can defend that "work". If I produced that level of dross in my job I would quite rightly be sacked!

BANNED

I disagree. I don't have to respect anyone for anything. I have absolutely no respect for anyone who enjoyed reading those 40 Shades novels. My wife couldn't get through a single chapter. I have no respect for anyone who buys any music by a winner of Britain's got talent or the X factor. Respect has to be earned. Artwork produced by an artist who can't actually draw is not worth respect in my opinion.

What? You don't like Susan Boyle? Shame on you.

Just because something is made for the mass market doesn't mean it's bad. Honestly, comic books are as mass market as they come, always has been. So don't act surprised when something like Major X sparks interest amongst the readership.

Sure. Maybe marvel should had used the opportunity to highlight some new promising artist or even a old Marvel one. Dustin weaver is pretty good writing and drawing

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    I'd say that is attributed to speculators. The main hook for the book prior to its release was the character of Major X. So, while some may have picked it up for Liefeld, many grabbed it just because it is a new X-Character.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    I'd say that is attributed to speculators. The main hook for the book prior to its release was the character of Major X. So, while some may have picked it up for Liefeld, many grabbed it just because it is a new X-Character.
    I can see that. If a new character takes off the first appearance can mean something.

I saw this book as just a major nostalgia fix. It was a complete throwback to the early 90's, and while not groundbreaking in anyway I still found it to be fun. It sort of seemed(like with the Deadpool dialogue) that he was kind of acknowledging his critics with a smile and a wink too.

https://sirmarkussite.wordpress.com/.../06/major-x-1/

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    And Marvel tends to do smaller print runs for side-series like this, in order to get those "sold out at print!" headlines. It's all calculated. But even so, it means Major X is a project doing at least as well as Marvel has anticipated, and has the potential to do much better depending on if it goes past second printing.