Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    To each their own. For me, it's not the same experience because it's an enhancement. Especially for a complex film like this one, I always feel like if I go into the movie cold the first time I've kind of wasted my money. I need to see it a second or third time to really take everything in. Going in with an understanding of what I'm about to see - like reading the book before the movie - helps me tie everything together in real time and make full sense of the experience. If I come away from that experience feeling that the movie is diminished in some way, that's on the movie, because I would have felt that way no matter what.
    I'm going in cold this time. Well, as cold as one can be after watching all the trailers. Typically I'm with you though. Spoilers are usually a way for me to just take in the movie rather than try to guess everything that's going to happen. But I don't know. Something about this makes me want to not know anything.

To each their own. For me, it's not the same experience because it's an enhancement. Especially for a complex film like this one, I always feel like if I go into the movie cold the first time I've kind of wasted my money. I need to see it a second or third time to really take everything in. Going in with an understanding of what I'm about to see - like reading the book before the movie - helps me tie everything together in real time and make full sense of the experience. If I come away from that experience feeling that the movie is diminished in some way, that's on the movie, because I would have felt that way no matter what.
    What's wrong with seeing a film a second or third time to understand/take everything in? It's okay if you miss things on the initial viewing. Also, if money is an issue, you don't have to do it in the theater. You can always look online later for things you didn't understand if you don't want to spend money at the cinema. If you have a streaming service it will probably be available later on there.

It's not really about a movie holding up on not knowing something. I would have still enjoyed Endgame had I known everything beforehand, but I wouldn't have had the max potential entertainment factor. I like to be surprised, and I like to see if my guesses were right in real time with visual context. But yeah, different strokes.

So for every book, video game, comic book, or movie do you just read a synopsis before you invest yourself in it? Just because it's more comfortable for you? Or that you don't have buyer's remorse? Have you been doing this for years?
    Last edited by HowitzerJoe; 04-24-2019 at 08:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaShogun View Post
    It's not really about a movie holding up on not knowing something. I would have still enjoyed Endgame had I known everything beforehand, but I wouldn't have had the max potential entertainment factor.

So for every book, video game, comic book, or movie do you just read a synopsis before you invest yourself in it? Just because it's more comfortable for you?
    I read this article once... and I desperately wish I had saved it so I could cite it more accurately...

But the gist of it was just that it depends on how your brain is wired. For some people, spoilers legitimately increase enjoyment because the experience becomes one of eager anticipation and the payoff to it rather than one of surprise. Some brains like the resolution of the anticipation, some like the surprise.

And I'll admit, I'm often a person who likes spoilers too... but I'm trying to go in unspoiled on this one.

BANNED

What's wrong with seeing a film a second or third time to understand/take everything in?
    Nothing at all. Doesn't change the fact that I feel I get more of my money's worth the first time because I enjoyed the film and story more on first viewing having an idea what to expect. Being surprised doesn't move the enjoyment needle for me in a positive direction.
    Last edited by AJBopp; 04-24-2019 at 08:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lilyinblue View Post
    I read this article once... and I desperately wish I had saved it so I could cite it more accurately...

But the gist of it was just that it depends on how your brain is wired. For some people, spoilers legitimately increase enjoyment because the experience becomes one of eager anticipation and the payoff to it rather than one of surprise. Some brains like the resolution of the anticipation, some like the surprise.

And I'll admit, I'm often a person who likes spoilers too... but I'm trying to go in unspoiled on this one.
    Interesting. Yeah, I'd love to see that article if you ever find it. Because at that point, I don't see why if your brain is wired that way, you don't just get the satisfaction after you read a synopsis of a narrative somewhere. I mean I've done that too, but only one things I never planned on seeing in the first place. Or wasn't really invested in to the point where I cared. The person I quoted it made it seem like a financial reason mainly as to why they utilize spoilers routinely.

Nothing at all. Doesn't change the fact that I feel I get more of my money's worth the first time because I enjoyed the film and story more on first viewing having an idea what to expect. Being surprised doesn't move the enjoyment needle for me in a positive direction.
    Okay fair enough.

BANNED

Interesting. Yeah, I'd love to see that article if you ever find it. Because at that point, I don't see why if your brain is wired that way, you don't just get the satisfaction after you read a synopsis of a narrative somewhere. I mean I've done that too, but only one things I never planned on seeing in the first place. Or wasn't really invested in to the point where I cared. The person I quoted it made it seem like a financial reason mainly as to why they utilize spoilers routinely.
    It's a value reason. When I go to a movie I want to get the maximum enjoyment experience out of it possible. So if it's an adaptation of a novel, I always make sure to read it first. If there are spoilers, I read them so that I have an understanding of where events are leading to. Nothing will diminish the amazing visuals, and assuming the story is well told, nothing will diminish the amazing experience of making the journey through the actual film.

Ultimate Member

Avengers Endgame had an opening day of $107 million in China.

Jesus....

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post

Jesus....

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    That.."Jaysus!!!!!!!!!" scream gets me everytime..lolololol

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Jesus....
    The China numbers gonna be insane.

Jesus....
    Yes, this is going to make zillions, and no amount of bellyaching about what is read via spoilers by a small contingent of the online community will change that.

BANNED

Yes, this is going to make zillions, and no amount of bellyaching about what is read via spoilers by a small contingent of the online community will change that.
    Why do people give such a damn about box office? It's the same as people who only care about post-credit scenes. Very annoying, it's like a dick measuring contest.

Why do people give such a damn about box office? It's the same as people who only care about post-credit scenes. Very annoying, it's like a dick measuring contest.
    I dunno. Human nature. Anything regarding large amounts of money in entertainment will be a talking point. Especially if new ground is broken. People talk about it here a lot I noticed. Especially aspects of a movie that really don't matter, thinking it will effect it. Like Guardians 3 will still make a ton of movie when that is released too, despite what happened with Gunn. The casual fan just won't give a ****.
    Last edited by HowitzerJoe; 04-24-2019 at 09:39 AM.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

I dunno about anybody else but personally, I just find it interesting.