Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    I dunno about anybody else but personally, I just find it interesting.
    It's just a petty way of trying to shut down the opinions of people who think a little critically

Captain Marvel made a billion. I don't care, the movie is still terrible.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    It's just a petty way of trying to shut down the opinions of people who think a little critically

And claiming that people can't "think critically" is just a way to shut people down who are enjoying something that you're not.

Some people get excited when a product they like does well. Some people get angry when a product they don't like does well.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

If people use the box office in an argument or discussion over the quality of a movie than sure. But you just still be interested in the numbers without using them for that purpose.

It's fine to critique a narrative any which way of course. Some folks do need a reality check though when they believe aspects of a narrative will effect it's revenue stream. I don't like most of the transformers films, but I'm never going to claim a certain aspect if a narrative will effect how much money it brings in. Those movies still made a **** ton. That's what I was referring to. Not that people's opinions should hold water depending on how much money a film makes. They're allowed to feel how they feel.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    If people use the box office in an argument or discussion over the quality of a movie than sure. But you just still be interested in the numbers without using them for that purpose.
    All too often it is used by MCU fanboys as a way of "proving" their brand is superior and I just find it generally obnoxious. People are allowed to dislike a movie.

Critics loved it: check.

General audience loved it: check.

Made mad bank: check.

Sounds like a personal hangup.

For example, I find Citizen Kane dumb as Hell but I can still recognize that it's a great movie. It's not my cup of tea. Same goes for the Transformers movies. Dumb as Hell to me but still significant in terms of technical achievements. Not my cup o' tea.

Its okay to not like something that everyone else does. It's okay to not like something the Oscar bait people love.

Your personal mileage of the film doesn't really matter in the context of thinking critically.

Calling it terrible is bit disingenuous, too. You really think it's on par with some of the bad to worst movies out there? It has a beginning, middle, and end which puts it higher than most MCU movies that are just chapters in a story with no act structure.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Avengers Endgame had an opening day of $107 million in China.

Jesus....
    What do they call the Avengers in Chinese?

BANNED

All too often it is used by MCU fanboys as a way of "proving" their brand is superior and I just find it generally obnoxious. People are allowed to dislike a movie.
    And it's also fine to point out that a person not liking a thing might be in the minority opinion of said thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    What do they call the Avengers in Chinese?
    復聯。Fu lian.

Or I guess for the movie:

復仇者聯盟。fuchou zhe lianmeng
    Last edited by HowitzerJoe; 04-24-2019 at 10:06 AM.

I also think the obsession over RT scores and the box office is a recency phenomenon that is amusing, at best.

I also thought Captain Marvel was a mediocre film. Not bad, not great. Just sort of "there." It served its purpose explaining who Carol Danvers is and where she's been.

Personally, as a Thor fan I didn't really enjoy Ragnarok. It was an action/comedy bordering on self-parody at times. A visually pretty film with a mundane, forgettable narrative, IMO. But it had its fans and many people enjoyed it, which is fine. Different strokes and all that.

On spoilers: https://www.universityofcalifornia.e...y-stories-more

I don't think that's the article I originally read. But this one basically boils down to: their research shows that knowing spoilers does seem to enhance people's enjoyment of stories - mostly for the reasons already mentioned upthread. However, the aversion to spoilers stems from the fact that you can rewatch/reread a story as many times as you want, but you can't repeat the 'first time' experience.

And on box office reports:

I think some of us just read them like people read sports scores. It's putting numbers on a competitive aspect of something that interests us. I regularly checked out box office reports and neilsen charts, ever since I was young. (Of course, it's also possible I was just a weird kid...)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Disney bought out theaters, obvis.

BANNED

Saw this, thought it was cute:

Is anyone telling you to shut up? No? Then no one is telling you that you can't have your opinion. But this is a public board and any discussion is up for debate and when it comes to film the only forms of measurement are the Box Office and Awards everything else is subjective opinions unless something like the lighting, CGI, or some other technical issue as for liking or disliking a film sometimes your opinion is in the majority and sometimes in the minority. If minority then be prepared for debate when expressing your opinion in public and for people to use the numbers to defend their opinion.
    Last edited by Jokerz79; 04-24-2019 at 03:36 PM.