Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by rward777 View Post
    Took a big effort to make someone even more down on his luck than Peter Parker.
    It's not hard. Here's a small list of people more down on his luck than Peter:

-- Hulk/Bruce Banner
    -- Captain America
    -- Daredevil
    -- The entire mutant community
    -- Frank Castle

Gibbon's life does make Peter's entire high school world look like the best time ever however.

Dang it! Who would've ever thought that a comic centered around the Gibbon would ever make me feel sorry for all the times we ever laughed at him. Or that an Amazing Spider-Man event tie-in would wind up being one the best Spider-Man comic so far this year. Well done, Nick Spencer!

Stillanerd Reviews: Amazing Spider-Man No. 18.HU review
    --Mike McNulty, a.k.a. Stillanerd. Contributor for Bam Smack Pow! and Viral Hare
    Previous Articles for Whatever A Spider Can.
    Previous Articles for Spider-Man Crawlspace.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

what a brutal and sad issue. Really conveyed how boxed in everyone is being at Central Park, and it genuinely made me uncomfortable watching them beat on Gibbon. Great, powerful stuff. Can’t wait to see Peter lose it and turns the tide.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    It's not hard. Here's a small list of people more down on his luck than Peter:

-- Hulk/Bruce Banner
    -- Captain America
    -- Daredevil
    -- The entire mutant community
    -- Frank Castle

Gibbon's life does make Peter's entire high school world look like the best time ever however.
    Man Thing/Ted Salis is the most tragic life in comics.

I've never read anything with the Gibbon in before, but this was such a tragic and moving issue. Spencer can do no wrong in my eyes, I've enjoyed every single thing he has wrote for Amazing so far. And also, I'm not sure of the circumstances of the artist swap, but I think Bachalos art would have lessened the stories impact compared to Lashley. Bachelo is good, but I think a bit too "cartoony" for a story like this.

Add me to the list that thought this was a tragic and moving issue. Lashley art worked for the brutality of what happened to Gibbon. I wasn't planning on picking up the .hu issues but am glad I did. They are 2 for 2 so far.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    Man-Thing is barely aware of his surroundings most of the time, so I'm not sure that counts...

Wait, no, that actually makes it worse.

I'm trying to think of someone who has it worse. Can Sin count? I would say Deadpool, but Cap feels bad enough for him.
    Quote Originally Posted by chachi View Post
    Add me to the list that thought this was a tragic and moving issue. Lashley art worked for the brutality of what happened to Gibbon. I wasn't planning on picking up the .hu issues but am glad I did. They are 2 for 2 so far.
    These issues have worked great at giving us a more intimate and personal perspective.

With Felicia, we see how horrible it would be to be caught and with Gibbon, we see the perspective of a villain who is ultimately pretty harmless and are at the mercy of not just the hunters, but also the other villains who are just going to use them to save themselves.

A very sad issue. Very well written. It reminds me of Captain America #315 when the Porcupine died. I became his biggest fan after that. Now out of respect for the character of Gibbon I will have to read his past issues. A good writer can make any character compelling. Well done Nick. Best issue I’ve read in a long time. That’s why I love the D listers. Like my favorite writer of all time Mark Gruenwald, you took a D lister and made him worth as much as any popular hero ever was. Again we’ll done.

I can’t wait for next issue when these D listers start busting up all these shallow rich snobs. Maybe they’ll mount some of their self styled elite heads onto their mantles instead.

This is something that's been done before, but brave as part of ASM. It's certainly a good example of this type of story (which we've seen Spider-Man with Jenkins' Mindworm spotlight and Rucka/ Risso's Tangled Web issue).
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaded Porcupine View Post
    A very sad issue. Very well written. It reminds me of Captain America #315 when the Porcupine died. I became his biggest fan after that. Now out of respect for the character of Gibbon I will have to read his past issues. A good writer can make any character compelling. Well done Nick. Best issue I’ve read in a long time. That’s why I love the D listers. Like my favorite writer of all time Mark Gruenwald, you took a D lister and made him worth as much as any popular hero ever was. Again we’ll done.

I can’t wait for next issue when these D listers start busting up all these shallow rich snobs. Maybe they’ll mount some of their self styled elite heads onto their mantles instead.
    problem is that they can't even reach the hunters. isn't this a VR situation?

I wonder if Kraven's plan here is to toughen up the spider-foes who are being hunted. if they are tougher/more of a challenge then Spider-man will have to become tougher. the weakest of his rogues gallery are being weeded out.

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    have you read any of the flashbacks to Scott Summers' origin? it was tragedy, after tragedy, with a dash of horror.

A very sad issue. Very well written. It reminds me of Captain America #315 when the Porcupine died. I became his biggest fan after that.
    Roger is very lucky that he reformed when he did. he might have ended up under the dome.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    have you read any of the flashbacks to Scott Summers' origin? it was tragedy, after tragedy, with a dash of horror.

Roger is very lucky that he reformed when he did. he might have ended up under the dome.
    I kind of wish he was there. With the training Jess gave him he'd be kicking some ass. I kind of hope Spencer does something with him somewhere. Roger is the kind of character that's in his wheelhouse. He did have him make an appearance in Superior Foes. What a waste of all that work that Hopeless did with Roger for him to be back in limbo. I hope Spencer does a Spider-Woman book eventually.

I kind of wish he was there. With the training Jess gave him he'd be kicking some ass. .
    not against these overpowered robots? they can't even feel pain. I want him clear from that. there will be time for him to make cameo, later.

p.s. when was he in superior foes?

Wow!! What an issue. Keeping this one incase Spence or Lashley do a convention I can go to.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    not against these overpowered robots? they can't even feel pain. I want him clear from that. there will be time for him to make cameo, later.

p.s. when was he in superior foes?
    He was part of Villains Anonymous with Hippo and the rest of them.

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Villa...us_(Earth-616)