Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    I've actually been brainstorming a Supes vs Brainiac story that I would like to see on the big screen. My only issue is introducing Brainiac in the prologue and giving him motivation enough to come to Earth. I'd like to do something original, but at this point, it seems like it's all been done before. I just need to find an approach I like.

I just go with the DCAU version. All in one of things people want to see and a good counter to Superman's abilities.
    Thanks. I just want to finally see a great version of this intriguing character on the big screen. In the Krypton show, he's a collector or worlds, so maybe he comes to Earth because something about it intrigues him. Maybe Superman himself, his powers and his Kryptonian tech. And Brainiac learns Clark comes from Krypton, and also Clark learns Braniac has the bottled city of Kandor.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I really need to catch up with that show.

For the longest time Brainiac was really carried by his extreme intellect. His technology was fantastic enough to give Superman fits, and he was petty enough to direct it to do all sorts of things, like blind Superman with the traumatic vision of Krypton's explosion or red sun missiles. Physically he used a force field as defense. When he became cybernetic I suppose he gained greater strength, but he was mostly just better adapted to technology.

Post crisis, his body is destroyed but his consciousness drifts into an earth psychic, and the result is that he gains psychic power control. So mind reading, illusions, mind projection, and psychic shockwaves that can cause damage. His ship and weapons were extensions of him self. Later on he just sort of doubles down on the tech thing again.

In most continuities we see him augment his body and a usual result is better remote control over electronics and super strength to boot.
    Thank you, you are so helpful! If you still have't seen Krypton S1, I strongly recommend you do. It really does the villains and the characters justice, IMO.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    Thanks. I just want to finally see a great version of this intriguing character on the big screen. In the Krypton show, he's a collector or worlds, so maybe he comes to Earth because something about it intrigues him. Maybe Superman himself, his powers and his Kryptonian tech. And Brainiac learns Clark comes from Krypton, and also Clark learns Braniac has the bottled city of Kandor.
    My issue while brainstorming is my ideas have a "I've seen that before", look.

So many alien invasion movies lately. DCEU, MCU, Fantastic Four Rise of the Silver Surfer, Transformers, Star Trek, Edge of Tomorrow, War of the Worlds, etc.

Have Brainiac be built on Earth and go rogue. Ultron and Terminator come to mind.

Have Brainiac come to Earth from the future to kill Supes in the past. Terminator, Star Trek First Contact, X-Men Days of Future Past, Kang The Conqueror.

You get the idea.

Now, I'm not opposed to any of these ideas. I just want to come up with an approach that is different enough that people appreciate it and don't immediately think "oh, I've seen this before. I know how it ends".

Good news is, my story outside of the villain's contribution and motivations to the plot are solid. Just have to work Brainiac into the story. And maybe Kara too.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    My issue while brainstorming is my ideas have a "I've seen that before", look.

So many alien invasion movies lately. DCEU, MCU, Fantastic Four Rise of the Silver Surfer, Transformers, Star Trek, Edge of Tomorrow, War of the Worlds, etc.

Have Brainiac be built on Earth and go rogue. Ultron and Terminator come to mind.

Have Brainiac come to Earth from the future to kill Supes in the past. Terminator, Star Trek First Contact, X-Men Days of Future Past, Kang The Conqueror.

You get the idea.

Now, I'm not opposed to any of these ideas. I just want to come up with an approach that is different enough that people appreciate it and don't immediately think "oh, I've seen this before. I know how it ends".

Good news is, my story outside of the villain's contribution and motivations to the plot are solid. Just have to work Brainiac into the story. And maybe Kara too.
    well think in what ways is Brainiac different to those villains and how he can challenge Superman in ways we haven't seen on the big screen. The truth is that there is nothing new under the sun we haven't seen already, just dress it in an interesting and somewhat unique way. Brainiac's skull ship and his desire to destroy worlds while keeping souvenirs (bottled cities) should be interesting enough.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    well think in what ways is Brainiac different to those villains and how he can challenge Superman in ways we haven't seen on the big screen. The truth is that there is nothing new under the sun we haven't seen already, just dress it in an interesting and somewhat unique way. Brainiac's skull ship and his desire to destroy worlds while keeping souvenirs (bottled cities) should be interesting enough.
    That is something. I'll try to think about it more.

I know it's a small detail, but I prefer the DCAU trophy collection of Brainiac. Memory modules instead of cities. No escape. No survivors. Both showcase Brainiac's god complex. That's something else to add.

For my prologue, I've been trying to come up with a brief history and or exchange between Jor-El and Brainiac and or Kara and Brainiac. With Brainiac either coming to Krypton days or weeks before Krypton blows up or being built on Krypton and betraying/abandoning it during the planet's final hours. Either or of those would work.

I think my favorite Brainiac story is probably Morrison's opening Action arc or Johns' Brainiac arc. I have to admit I've never read Panic in the Sky.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I have to admit that I never originally made it to the back of the Gil Kane collection, with the alternate story to Action 544. It's also a pretty neat one to go with the thread looking for cosmic stories. I really love Brainiac from the 70s to mid 90s, for one thing considering his superhuman intellect making him more of a match than Lex and also some pretty strong family ties. It's pretty remarkable that his line could branch off into two separate titles, LoSH and Legion/Rebels.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I think my favorite Brainiac story is probably Morrison's opening Action arc or Johns' Brainiac arc. I have to admit I've never read Panic in the Sky.
    ...wha...

Dude, you really should

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

No Superman involvement, but this is one of my favorite "recent" Brainiac stories. A nice little 2 parter where he meets up with his "son" Vril Dox II and his grandson Lyrl Dox. The Dox family is one of the best in the DCU, and that is why I will always prefer the organic flesh and blood version of Brainiac.

Quote Originally Posted by adkal View Post
    ...wha...

Dude, you really should
    I know! It's on the list.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Busiek mentioning on Twitter hat he wanted to do a big Brainiac story just makes me even more sad his run got cut short by editorial. I really want a big Superman vs. Brainiac story again, I guess Snyder’s JL is the best I’ll get for now.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    No Superman involvement, but this is one of my favorite "recent" Brainiac stories. A nice little 2 parter where he meets up with his "son" Vril Dox II and his grandson Lyrl Dox. The Dox family is one of the best in the DCU, and that is why I will always prefer the organic flesh and blood version of Brainiac.

As a Tekken player I really appreciate the dynamic. I don't appreciate what I've heard about Vril in the current JL stories, but here's hoping any of the family gets to go deeper than the surface soon. Vril is my favorite character after Superman and Captain Atom, he shows a special side of Brainiac even when they don't interact.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Well looks like you need to hope on Amazon or Google Books and handle that.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Busiek mentioning on Twitter hat he wanted to do a big Brainiac story just makes me even more sad his run got cut short by editorial. I really want a big Superman vs. Brainiac story again, I guess Snyder’s JL is the best I’ll get for now.
    8^o

I doubt Snyder will be delivering the best of anything if the JL title is an indicator. There is definitely passion and he is trying hard I think. But the emperor has not a stitch of clothing aboush.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post

I keep meaning to buy this series. I need to fix that soon.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com