Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Best Brainiac VS Superman story

I know Brainiac has existed for a long time in the Superman mythos (created in the 60s?), but outside of animation, the only Brainiac story I remember is the one written by Geoff Johns some years ago. I still haven't read it.

So for those with more knowledge, Which are the best stories featuring this supervillain in the comics?

Also can include animation if you think the story was really good.

Geoff Johns & Gary Frank's Brainiac (the one adapted as Superman Unbound) is one of the best and the one you're referencing.

Panic in the Sky, which was from the triangle era so it was the Milton Fine version of Brainiac which is a little different, is a pretty good story. And I really liked Y2K when that came out. It was towards the beginning of the Jeph Loeb era. Both are collected in older trades and I think the Y2K era is getting reissued again.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Comic wise, my favorite of the Luthor Brainiac team would be DC Special#5, an oversized issue vs Superman. I guess I'm biased from just always liking Brainiac, but I enjoy almost everything.

Superman volume 2 #35 is a fantastic stand alone issue that gives you the best understanding of post crisis Brainiac. It's collected with Exile. Then off of that base you get the proper Superman vs Vril Dox in the Brainiac Trilogy from 1989. A bit after that is a huge story called Panic in the Sky, which is followed later by another favorite, Dead Again.

The Brainiac 2.5 model that comes from the Doomsday Wars, where he inhabits Doomsday, continued in1999 (issues 146, 148, 150) being pretty much the cartoon version. I think the cartoon did best with New Kids in Town.

Others... well The Collector story from Morrison is great for many reasons, Brainiac being one. Pre crisis was a small arc vs Brainiac between Action 489-491, 514, and 528-530. Of course, it kind of ends with comics and cartoons because other media not so much.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

BANNED

I like Brainiac's first appearance, complete with impenetrable shields.

And I like him in Whatever Happened to the man of tomorrow? where basically to the end, he crawls over to Superman in hatred even if it's all hopeless.

Fantastic Member qwertyuiop1998's Avatar

ummmm..........In my recall,I really didn't remembering any good portrayed brainiac personality story.Though superman vs brainiac had many good stories.Brainiac mostly was portrayed as a disaster bringer,and superman need stopping him
    That said.I persoanlly like brainiac became an pure energy being and created a robotic body to battle superman this period.In this period, superman vs brainiac scenes always big.Like once brainiac conquering earth,and superman need team up with teen titans to stop brainiac.
    Or like topic said,GEOFF's brainiac story,superman need stopping brainiac destroy our solar system
    Last edited by qwertyuiop1998; 03-29-2019 at 08:55 PM.
    "Dangerous Zombie! Transform!! Click And Load! Buggle UP! Danger! Danger! Death The Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!" Kamen Rider Gemn
    (In first he's mysterious and evil and now he's psycho and crazy and insane and evil AND "The Meme Lord"LOL.)

The Superman vs Brainiac trade they have hits most of what was brought up:

Action Comics #242, 489-491, 544, 649 and 763, Superman #167, Superman's Girl Friend Lois Lane #17, Adventures of Superman #438, and Superman: Metropolis Secret Files #1

I didn't mention Superman #167 but I thought about it.

Here are two great summaries for two stories, with links to other story summaries for context

http://superman86to99.tumblr.com/pos...0-the-brainiac

Http://superman86to99.tumblr.com/pos...-1990-superman

Apparently the Brainiac Trilogy was adapted into the cartoon as "Ghost in the Machine."

Geoff Johns Brainiac

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

For animation:

I'd recommend episodes from Superman, Justice League/Unlimited, Static Shock and Legion of Superheroes the animated series. Corey Burton does the voice of Brainiac for all those appearances and he's amazing.

1. Superman: Stolen Memories

2. Superman: Ghost In The Machine

3. Superman: New Kids In Town

4. Superman: Knight Time

5. Justice League: Twilight

6. Static Shock: A League of Their Own

7. Justice League Unlimited: Divided We Fall

8. Legion of Superheroes: Dark Victory

9. Superman Unbound - DCUniverse original movie. Adaptation of Geoff Johns' 2008 Brainiac book.

For comic books. Some that haven't been mentioned yet.

JLA: Earth 2 - Grant Morrison

Superman Red Son - Mark Millar

Justice - Jim Krueger

Action Comics #544-546
    Last edited by Doctor Know; 03-31-2019 at 11:12 AM.

Incredible Member

The Brainiac Trilogy featured in ACTION COMICS#647-649 . Written by Roger Stern, with art by Kerry Gamiil, George Perez, and Brett Breeding. Set during the Milton Fine era, Superman finds out Brainiac is alive ,and Lex has been hiding him. However, Brainiac, in a coma since being taken by surprise when an encounter with the vigilante Gangbuster turns out it was Superman is dying. With help from Metallo, Brainiac works to get himself upgraded, succeeds ,and escapes from the Man of Steel.

I've posted this before, but Waid and Peyer's Identity Crisis back in 1996 is one of my favourites.

Adventures of Superman 536
    Action Comics 723
    Man of Steel 58

I wondered if that would come up. I never did get Man of Steel #58 so I never read it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Panic in the Sky, which was from the triangle era so it was the Milton Fine version of Brainiac which is a little different, again.
    Quote Originally Posted by The One and Only View Post
    Set during the Milton Fine era
    I'm never too sure if people are referring to Milton in regards to Brainiac having psychic powers, or if there's just the misconception that Milton Fine was Brainiac.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I'm never too sure if people are referring to Milton in regards to Brainiac having psychic powers, or if there's just the misconception that Milton Fine was Brainiac.
    For some reason I always seem to call the goatee version Fine. The Panic in the Sky was after Fine though, right?

Yeah, that was like his Skull Ship cruising prime.

I actually tend to compare Milton to Koko in that they were pint sized, pale, hairy, vaguely helpful affiliates of Brainiac who were written out early.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

I loved the Brainiac trilogy, as well as Panic in the Sky.
    Last edited by Shadowcat; 04-10-2019 at 11:58 PM.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

It would be very helpful to have all the best Brainiac vs Superman stories in a collected trade.