Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    It would be very helpful to have all the best Brainiac vs Superman stories in a collected trade.
    Indeed it would be. I sure hope this happens someday...
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Yeah, that's exactly what I mentioned

I never knew why such a refined villain wore no pants, but this is good material on his character.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I am a big fan of the Jor-El vs Brainiac story in the Superman: TAS pilot. The follow up wasn't as good, but I think that did a damned good job of positioning Brainiac as this Superman's Zod.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Yeah, that's exactly what I mentioned

I never knew why such a refined villain wore no pants, but this is good material on his character.
    Brainiac: Green and changes shape and color, like the Chameleon!

Panic in the Sky is classic. Geoff Johns Brainiac for something newer. Good appearance in new52 Action.

Lot of good recommendations here. Why has Brainiac’s appearance in the Superman books declined so much in recent years. He and Superman barely tangle with one another nowadays. I wish someone would reassert him as the primarily Superman foe he is supposed to be.
    Last edited by Vordan; 04-05-2019 at 10:02 AM.

DC Special #5 from 1977 is the first one that pops in my head. I remember thinking Superman was actually dead! Simple times.

C012E77E-ADCD-42DA-B9C2-6FF0FC40F3FB.jpg

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Lot of good recommendations here. Why has Brainiac’s appearance in the Superman books declined so much in recent years. He and Superman barely tangle with one another nowadays. I wish someone would reassert him as the primarily Superman foe he is supposed to be.
    I think that has to with the mess that was Futures End and Convergence and how they twisted up Brainiac too much turning him into the god like creature. I think they are waiting for the stink of that story to wear off before bringing back a more toned down usable Brainiac.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I think that has to with the mess that was Futures End and Convergence and how they twisted up Brainiac too much turning him into the god like creature. I think they are waiting for the stink of that story to wear off before bringing back a more toned down usable Brainiac.
    You might be right, but I think Snyder’s usage of him over in JL also plays a role. I’m fine with Snyder’s usage of Lex limiting his appearance elsewhere (Superman writers need to lay off him imo) but with Lex gone I’d really have liked Supes’ #2 villain to step it up. Oh well.

I think FIRE IN THE SKY from the 90s was hype. It didn't have my favorite robotic version but the resources, planning, and power were epic.

The Jurgens, Bogdanove, and Tom Grummett art didn't hurt either.

Bogdanove. At some point soon I'll start a thread to talk about him more but man, he really did a great job of working Brainiac's sci fi horror into his style.

A simple but great cover. Because of the era I can't help but hear the original Robotnik theme with that ship.

And shout out to Ed Hannigan, creator of the skull ship. That iconic visual manages to carry the character makeovers through. Hannigan didn't contribute much to comics really but he always killed on designs. Best Spider-Man covers of all time at least.

Bogdanove. At some point soon I'll start a thread to talk about him more but man, he really did a great job of working Brainiac's sci fi horror into his style.
    The Sci-Fi/horror elements of Brainiac is what I like about him. He's like an ancient space vampire. Krypton's version was really good. I liked how he adapted and changed during the show, like that panel in a previous post. He was so creepy! It was also very unnerving how cruel he was with people. I need to see all that and more on the big screen.. It doesn't even need to feel like another invasion like with General Zod in Man of Steel, because Brainiac's methods and motivations are much different. he could start by taking control of all the communication and computer systems on Earth. he could also appear to be friendly. He could show himself with a human appearance until Superman realizes he isn't and battle ensues. Then he shows his true form (or one of his many forms) and commands his robots to fight Superman. It could be so epic. Then he gets away and tries to bottle up Metropolis to take it with him, and Lois is inside. sigh.

BTW, what are all of Brainiac's powers? I'm really not sure. I think he has great mind powers, and he also has powerful alien tech.
    Last edited by stargazer01; 04-11-2019 at 11:44 AM.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

The Sci-Fi/horror elements of Brainiac is what I like about him. He's like an ancient space vampire. Krypton's version was really good. I liked how he adapted and changed during the show, like that panel in a previous post. He was so creepy! It was also very unnerving how cruel he was with people. I need to see all that and more on the big screen.. It doesn't even need to feel like another invasion like with General Zod in Man of Steel, because Brainiac's methods and motivations are much different. he could start by taking control of all the communication and computer systems on Earth. he could also appear to be friendly. He could show himself with a human appearance until Superman realizes he isn't and battle ensues. Then he shows his true form (or one of his many forms) and commands his robots to take over Earth and fight Superman. It could be so epic. Then he gets away and tries to bottle up Metropolis to take it with him, and Lois is inside. sigh.
    I've actually been brainstorming a Supes vs Brainiac story that I would like to see on the big screen. My only issue is introducing Brainiac in the prologue and giving him motivation enough to come to Earth. I'd like to do something original, but at this point, it seems like it's all been done before. I just need to find an approach I like.

BTW, what are all of Brainiac's powers? I'm really not sure. I think he has great mind powers, and he also has powerful alien tech.
    I just go with the DCAU version. All in one of things people want to see and a good counter to Superman's abilities.

Last edited by Doctor Know; 04-12-2019 at 03:33 AM.

I really need to catch up with that show.

For the longest time Brainiac was really carried by his extreme intellect. His technology was fantastic enough to give Superman fits, and he was petty enough to direct it to do all sorts of things, like blind Superman with the traumatic vision of Krypton's explosion or red sun missiles. Physically he used a force field as defense. When he became cybernetic I suppose he gained greater strength, but he was mostly just better adapted to technology.

Post crisis, his body is destroyed but his consciousness drifts into an earth psychic, and the result is that he gains psychic power control. So mind reading, illusions, mind projection, and psychic shockwaves that can cause damage. His ship and weapons were extensions of him self. Later on he just sort of doubles down on the tech thing again.

In most continuities we see him augment his body and a usual result is better remote control over electronics and super strength to boot.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post

A simple but great cover. Because of the era I can't help but hear the original Robotnik theme with that ship.

And shout out to Ed Hannigan, creator of the skull ship. That iconic visual manages to carry the character makeovers through. Hannigan didn't contribute much to comics really but he always killed on designs. Best Spider-Man covers of all time at least.
    That cover is my number two, after the Perez drawn cover that featured the giant Brainhead ship from the Brainiac trilogy.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com