Amazing Member

Default What's Hawkman's Personality?

2d8774b6a3d99b65dd97448e2a294f30.jpg

From what I've seen, many seem to have the idea that Hawkman is a brutish, barbarian-type character, which probably stems from Geoff Johns' revival of the character in the 2000's; which drew inspiration from a warrior-poet characterisation. He was a man who struggled to control his savage temper.

Reading the Golden Age stories, Hawkman seems to be a globetrotting adventurer, with a love/marvel for many different cultures and subjects. Not only was he a weapons collector, but he was also a research scientist. Scott Snyder's revival of the character seems to draw heavily from this, as we saw in Metal.

Venditti's Hawkman seems to draw upon both of these characterizations, and creates a midpoint. Carter Hall is a man who spans the globe, immersing himself in many different cultures. He is more reserved, but still has a temper, and is always ready to finish the fight; rather than start it.

How do you see Hawkman's personality.

I all depends on which version of "Hawkman" and who the writer is.

Hawkman is one of those characters who has really been through a lot over the nearly eight decades he's been around.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Uncompromising and rigid. He sees the world in very black and white terms. Unforgiving. Not much of a sense of humor. Fiercely loyal. Passionate. Patient. Highly intelligent and knowledgeable in a staggering breadth of subjects.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Uncompromising and rigid. He sees the world in very black and white terms. Unforgiving. Not much of a sense of humor. Fiercely loyal. Passionate. Patient. Highly intelligent and knowledgeable in a staggering breadth of subjects.
    I agree, that he has very staunch views, sometimes even abrasive ones; but his unwillingness to compromise is what makes the character for me.

I think Venditti is trying to make him a more approachable character, he's cracked quite a few one-liners in the series so far.

20190301_130312.jpg

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

Hawkman is one of those characters who has really been through a lot over the nearly eight decades he's been around.

Just pick Carter or Katar and observe man. They all have consistent personalities anyways, so I fail to see what you think you gain by conflating a different issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectacus View Post
    Just pick Carter or Katar and observe man. They all have consistent personalities anyways, so I fail to see what you think you gain by conflating a different issue.
    There have been two-or-three (at least?) different versions of Katar, and Carter Hall was (to me at least) vastly changed when Geoff Johns brought him back in his JSA run.

I don't know how long you've been reading Hawkman stories, but to me it's like several different characters. (And I haven't even bothered to try the current series.)

Amazing Member

Have you ever read a Hawkman book? I know he has a reputation, but I feel like your speaking out of a lack of any reading.

No matter the reboot, Katar and Carter have had consistent quirks that have stayed true to the respective characters. If you have not read any material, I suggest you do.

Get-Carter-Hall-Hawkman-4-teaser-ad.jpg
    Last edited by Spectacus; 03-29-2019 at 08:06 PM.

Amazing Member

Geoff also played up his importance in the DCU, which Snyder expanded on in Metal.
    fsfCKHP.jpg
    Last edited by Spectacus; 03-29-2019 at 08:07 PM.

Have you ever read a Hawkman book? I know he has a reputation, but I feel like your speaking out of a lack of any reading.
    If this is directed at me, I have been buying and reading Hawkman comic books / stories since back in the 1970s (and even bought an issue or two back in the 1960s).

I had stopped reading comic books in general between +/-mid-1995 and 2010/2011, but have picked up some trade paperback collections of both JSA and Geoff Johns' Hawkman that came out during that time.

I was not interested enough in trying the "Savage Hawkman" series released in the New 52, and I have not read the current run because even though this is supposedly "Carter Hall", it sounds like they have gone overboard in expanding his reincarnations to include different planets but have still not had any focus on the original Golden Age version that I am most interested.

How long have YOU been reading Hawkman?

Boisterously Confused

There have been two-or-three (at least?) different versions of Katar, and Carter Hall was (to me at least) vastly changed when Geoff Johns brought him back in his JSA run.

I don't know how long you've been reading Hawkman stories, but to me it's like several different characters. (And I haven't even bothered to try the current series.)

No matter the reboot, Katar and Carter have had consistent quirks that have stayed true to the respective characters. If you have not read any material, I suggest you do.
    The Major is correct. There have been at least 8 distinct characterizations of Hawkman over the decades:
    • Carter Hall (1940s): Something of an Indiana Jones With Wings. An urbane, and yet rough, tough globe-trotting ...er, globe-flying adventurer. Aggressive, but not at all barbaric.
    • Katar Hall (1960s-CoIE): A scientist/detective and loving husband. Serious and intense, but thoughtful and analytical
    • Katar Hall (1970s JLA only): A rigid, rules and order law-enforcer. This is of of my least favorite interpretations, as the writers seemed to be bending Katar's persona to channel the conservative side of the arguments they staged between Katar and Green Arrow.
    • Katar Hall (post-Hawkworld): A tarnish idealist. Raised an idealistic aristocrat, hardened by betrayal, downfall, and years of living in the margins of society, but who hasn't quiet given up on his ideals. In many ways, this anti-authoritarian version is the antithesis of the JLA-only interpretation.
    • The Hawkgod (Zero Hour-JSA revival): This is the one I know the least about because this was the period where I threw up my hands in disgust and checked out for a while. Anybody?
    • Carter Hall (Johns JSA revival-Flashpoint): The endlessly reincarnated warrior. This is where I first noticed all this semi-civilized barbarian stuff begin to surface in his characterization
    • Katar Hall/Carter Hall: Nu52-Recent Relaunch): A symbologist specializing in ancient, mystical, and extraterrestrial languages. Somewhat at a loss for who he is, since the memories of his Thanagarian life have been suppressed. From the time he gets his memories back, his characterization is probably closest to Russel Crowe's Maximus from Gladiator. Oh, and his Nth-Metal causes him rage issues. This is my least favorite, mainly because of the series' treatment of Shayera.
    • K'Tar (Current interpretation): Still figuring this one out. We've seen a lot of who he's been, but very little on who he currently is. They're trending toward "man with an unending debt to pay."

Am I missing any?

As an aside, IMO, MajorHoy probably has the most encyclopedic knowledge of DC characters from 1938-Nu52 (at least) of any poster on these forums. I feel confident saying that he's read a Hawkman issue or two.

You posted that just to hear my scream of misery as the migraine set in, didn't you? LOL!

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    The Major is correct. There have been at least 8 distinct characterizations of Hawkman over the decades:
    • Carter Hall (1940s): Something of an Indiana Jones With Wings. An urbane, and yet rough, tough globe-trotting ...er, globe-flying adventurer. Aggressive, but not at all barbaric.
    • Katar Hall (1960s-CoIE): A scientist/detective and loving husband. Serious and intense, but thoughtful and analytical
    • Katar Hall (1970s JLA only): A rigid, rules and order law-enforcer. This is of of my least favorite interpretations, as the writers seemed to be bending Katar's persona to channel the conservative side of the arguments they staged between Katar and Green Arrow.
    • Katar Hall (post-Hawkworld): A tarnish idealist. Raised an idealistic aristocrat, hardened by betrayal, downfall, and years of living in the margins of society, but who hasn't quiet given up on his ideals. In many ways, this anti-authoritarian version is the antithesis of the JLA-only interpretation.
    • The Hawkgod (Zero Hour-JSA revival): This is the one I know the least about because this was the period where I threw up my hands in disgust and checked out for a while. Anybody?
    • Carter Hall (Johns JSA revival-Flashpoint): The endlessly reincarnated warrior. This is where I first noticed all this semi-civilized barbarian stuff begin to surface in his characterization
    • Katar Hall/Carter Hall: Nu52-Recent Relaunch): A symbologist specializing in ancient, mystical, and extraterrestrial languages. Somewhat at a loss for who he is, since the memories of his Thanagarian life have been suppressed. From the time he gets his memories back, his characterization is probably closest to Russel Crowe's Maximus from Gladiator. Oh, and his Nth-Metal causes him rage issues. This is my least favorite, mainly because of the series' treatment of Shayera.
    • K'Tar (Current interpretation): Still figuring this one out. We've seen a lot of who he's been, but very little on who he currently is. They're trending toward "man with an unending debt to pay."

Am I missing any?

As an aside, IMO, MajorHoy probably has the most encyclopedic knowledge of DC characters from 1938-Nu52 (at least) of any poster on these forums. I feel confident saying that he's read a Hawkman issue or two.

You posted that just to hear my scream of misery as the migraine set in, didn't you? LOL!
    As a Hawkman fan for several decades, I have to agree with the Major and the good Doctor on their assessment of the character(s). At this point, Carter/Katar/K'tar is open to almost any reinterpretation.