Default The Yellow Circle

Correct me if I’m wrong but in Doomsday Clock, Batman has his Yellow circle symbol on his uniform. When is that going to happen in the Batbooks? Just wondering. Was kinda hoping it would happen in Detective 1000, kinda like Superman’s trunks.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Superfly Frankenstein View Post
    Correct me if I’m wrong but in Doomsday Clock, Batman has his Yellow circle symbol on his uniform. When is that going to happen in the Batbooks? Just wondering. Was kinda hoping it would happen in Detective 1000, kinda like Superman’s trunks.
    I always hated the yellow circle. It was like, "Hey! Shoot me HERE!"

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    I always hated the yellow circle. It was like, "Hey! Shoot me HERE!"
    Which was the point since back when it was first created, Batman had armor only at that circle location. The goal was for ppl to aim at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkcrusade25 View Post
    Which was the point since back when it was first created, Batman had armor only at that circle location. The goal was for ppl to aim at it.
    There are so many reasons why that was a bad idea.

"I'm going to armor just this one small, very specific part of my suit, despite being able to afford however much armor I want, and trust that people who are shooting at me are good enough shots to hit it and also won't aim literally anywhere else."

Great plan, Bruce.
    Last edited by Caivu; 03-31-2019 at 10:32 AM.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

I prefer without it. Hust era logo is my favorite look.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Quote Originally Posted by Superfly Frankenstein View Post
    Correct me if I’m wrong but in Doomsday Clock, Batman has his Yellow circle symbol on his uniform. When is that going to happen in the Batbooks?
    How many characters in Doomsday Cluck have been drawn in ways that their appearance (costume, hairstyle, etc.) seems to have no direct connection to how they've been currently appearing in other comic book stories?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    There are so many reasons why that was a bad idea.

"I'm going to armor just this one small, very specific part of my suit, despite being able to afford however much armor I want, and trust that people who are shooting at me are good enough shots to hit it and also won't aim literally anywhere else."

Great plan, Bruce.
    Armor is heavy. It is actually good thinking, especially if he relies on being invisible to the enemy. Theres always risk of a stray bullet hitting him in the face anyway, so he wanted to have as much mobility as possible to finish the threat before it can effectively fight back.

Its not about what he can afford, its about whats practical. Of course it kinda seems out of place considering just how many impractical things he uses, like the cape and the cowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Mataza View Post
    Armor is heavy.
    He's Batman. Plenty strong enough to deal with that. Batsuit armor isn't particularly bulky compared to kevlar.

It is actually good thinking, especially if he relies on being invisible to the enemy.
    Except for the highly-visible thing on his chest.

Its not about what he can afford, its about whats practical.
    Having a only one sliver of armor is in no way practical.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

The yellow oval had been standard for Batman in comics and other media beginning eight years before I was born, and remained the standard until I was twenty-three years old. Consequently, I don't have any particular fetish for the oval-less bat, even though that was Batman's original look for nearly the first thirty years of his existence and the past twenty.

I did like the disposition that DC had for the oval-less bat and the yellow oval from the Silver Age until the end of the 20th Century: oval-less bat represented Batman's early career, from the beginning until shortly after Dick Grayson first became Robin; yellow oval was Batman's more recent career, from Dick's time as Robin until the end of No Man's Land.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Retired

Yellow oval is what I'd call it, because that's what Carmine Infantino drew when he created the "New Look." But when Sheldon Moldoff drew it, it was a circle. I imagine Moldoff drawing Batman just as he always had done for the previous ten years, but then he simply put a circle around the bat when he was done. Of course, Joe Giella, Murphy Anderson and Sid Greene would make their own corrections to Moldoff's pencils when they were inking, so the art conformed a bit to what Infantino established (but not much).

In the letter columns of the day, it was referred to as the yellow spot. The reason I've always heard for introducing the yellow spot was so they could trademark the bat. You couldn't trademark a bat unless there was some augmentation that made it special--such as encircling it. This always makes me wonder how DC can trademark T-shirts that just have a black bat on them--or can they? I've seen plenty of knock-off Batman T-shirts in my day, but I wonder how many of them are defying DC's trademark and how many are perfectly within their rights to put a bat on a T-shirt and not pay DC anything for doing so.