Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Plastic Man ("Eel" O'Brian) Appreciation (2019)

NOTE: This is a continuation of the previous "Plastic Man Appreciation 2018" thread, which can be read here:
    From the original version of this thread (started in May of 2014 by Angilasman):
    Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman
    DC Forum Appreciation Thread rules:

1) No negative comments about the honoree of this thread. It's an appreciation thread, not a non-appreciation one.

2) No negative discussion about any competitors of the honoree of this thread (i.e. John Stewart in the Hal Jordan thread). No ifs, ands, or buts. Find another non-appreciation thread to do that, just not here.

3) No negative comments about other versions of the character. For example, if you like the DCU version of Cyborg, but hate the DCnU version (or visa versa), just appreciate the earlier version and keep your comments about the latter to yourself.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Eyow! It's Plastic Man"

All appreciation for the India Rubber Man is welcome here! In the '40s cartoonist Jack Cole was tasked to create a new costumed crime fighter, since they'd become insanely popular (still pretty popular, really). Like most of the heroes back them, Jack was expected to churn out a low-grade ripoff of one of the medium's already popular initial heroes. In this case, he was supposed to create something a bit like Will Eisner's The Spirit. Cole retained the colorful superheroics and the grittiness of the then popular gangster genre, but added something of his own - an absolutely insane comic sensibility best represented by the limitless shape-shifting forms of the pliable title character, who stretched (ha!) the boundaries of comic art!
    also,
    Quote Originally Posted by Enigmatic Undead
    His first appearance in Police Comics #1

and
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy
    Plastic Man was originally a character published by Quality Comics (from 1941 to 1956, though the last few years may have been mostly been reprinted stories?), then it looks like in 1963, I.W. Publishing published three issues of a Plastic Man comic book, but those may have contained all reprinted stories originally from Quality Comics.

Plastic Man had his first DC Comics series back in 1966.

https://screenrant.com/dc-warner-bro...tic-man-movie/

a plastic man movie would be awesome.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post

https://screenrant.com/dc-warner-bro...tic-man-movie/

a plastic man movie would be awesome.
    this is a very old article! give some updates yo.

from Tuesday: Ben Schwartz from Parks & Rec wants to play him
    https://geektyrant.com/news/ben-schw...he-dc-universe

“If you look at the original Plastic Man, he’s a thief, he gets these superpowers, and then he uses his connections with being in the crooked world to aid the police.”

“But in my head, how much fun if he was a thief, got superpowers, and was like, ‘Screw it, I want to keep being crooked.’ But he’s also, if you look at the cartoons or the other iterations of him, he’s funny! He’s so funny. And I think what Ryan Reynolds and Tim Miller did with Deadpool, you could have a funny superhero in DC. Shazam! just did it and I think it’s gonna be great. That’s it, I just love that character a lot. I think I’d get to be goofy if I ever got the chance to do it.”

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

My 1st time reading PLASTIC MAN in a comic book was in The Brave and The Bold #148.

B&B148.jpg

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

The cover to the 1st issue of the 90's Plastic Man mini-series.

Plas1mini.jpg

I had a good time reading Plas' team-up with Supes. But the guy who could flip open his Afro always cracks me up.
    dc-cover13.jpg
    Last edited by K7P5V; 05-03-2019 at 02:32 AM. Reason: Made a correction.

JLA #65 is one of my favorite Plas stories. It showed that you can do a heartfelt comic with a wacky character like Eel. Actually Joe Kelley’s JLA run had some great Plastic Man moment. The Burning Martian arc showed just how ridiculously powerful Plas could be.

so what's going on with him currently?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    so what's going on with him currently?
    Still a member of the Terrifics and is supposed to play a big role in the Leviathan event according to Bendis. Also given the fact that he and the terrifics showed up regularly in the year of the villain one-shot he will be a part of that storyline as well.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

There is apparently a Plastic Man movie in the works but I’m guessing it will never actual happen since WB seems to announce a new DC movie every few months and then we never hear about it again. As far as casting, I think Bill Hader would be great as Plas. He definitely has the comedy chops and if you’ve seen Barry you know he is pretty good at the dramatic roles too. But him being able to do endless voices and sounds would be perfect for Plastic Man constantly morphing into different people and objects.

Astonishing Member

For those reading The Terrifics, is true that Plastic Man's son, Off Spring, is also on the team? If so, when did he join, is Off Spring there for the long haul, and how his and Plastic Man's relationship been so far in the book?

Joe Staton's Plastic Man series from Adventure Comics is by far my favorite Plas.

That's what I compare everything with him in it to.
    Batman - Daredevil

Quote Originally Posted by DevilBat66 View Post
    Joe Staton's Plastic Man series from Adventure Comics is by far my favorite Plas.

That's what I compare everything with him in it to.
    I guess you never saw Kyle Baker's version. The best since Jack Cole for my money.
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    I guess you never saw Kyle Baker's version. The best since Jack Cole for my money.
    I did. It was cool. Just not as good as Staton's. It felt more like a cartoon than a comic book to me.
    Batman - Daredevil