Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Extraordinary Member

I think Professor Zoom/Reverse Flash works as Barry's arch-nemesis a little bit better, but that's not because of his powers. Its because of who Eobard is and the things that he has done. I mean, even before Flash Rebirth, this was the guy who murdered Barry's wife and then, after that, went after Barry's new fiancé and, in so doing, inspired Barry himself to kill. And not only that, but he also was at the center of the Return of Barry Allen arc, one of the best stories in the Flash canon, showing that he was also a meaningful villain for Wally, too.

Captain Cold is a big deal as a Flash villain, too, but to use an analogous situation as comparison, I'd say its like how Spider-Man's got both Green Goblin and Doctor Octopus, with Eobard being the former and Leonard being the latter.

Definitely the evil speedster. The Flash tv show unintentionally demonstrated that Barry needs to act very incompetently in order for a cold gun to pose a threat.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    I think Professor Zoom/Reverse Flash works as Barry's arch-nemesis a little bit better, but that's not because of his powers. Its because of who Eobard is and the things that he has done. I mean, even before Flash Rebirth, this was the guy who murdered Barry's wife and then, after that, went after Barry's new fiancé and, in so doing, inspired Barry himself to kill. And not only that, but he also was at the center of the Return of Barry Allen arc, one of the best stories in the Flash canon, showing that he was also a meaningful villain for Wally, too.

Captain Cold is a big deal as a Flash villain, too, but to use an analogous situation as comparison, I'd say its like how Spider-Man's got both Green Goblin and Doctor Octopus, with Eobard being the former and Leonard being the latter.
    Yeah, Eobard is always there, the ever-present terrorizer.

Likewise for Zoom and Wally IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    Yeah, Eobard is always there, the ever-present terrorizer.

Likewise for Zoom and Wally IMO.
    Yeah, the Reverse-Flashes are pretty definitively the main nemesis of their respective Flash.

The Captain Cold's are more of the recurring thorn's in their side, or the "spoiler" with The Rogues.

Grodd's a force of nature.

I think Zoom takes the title of "archenemy" but personally, I've always found Cold to be the better foe.

If Flash (Barry or Wally or whoever) is supposed to be more of a "blue collar working-man" hero, then Cold (and most of the Rogues) fit nicely into that theme as blue collar criminals. While Zoom (any of them) are psychotic madmen, the Rogues are just normal people trying to get paid. Much more fitting for a Flash's arch rival.

I think Cold is also far more developed as a character, with better, cleaner motivation, than Eobard. I mean, Eobard's whole personality is "I hate Barry so much!" Boring! Cold however, actually has some character to him. He's got a personal code he follows, people he cares for, semi-decent reasons for doing what he does, etc.

I also think the Rogues work better with the "family" theme that became such a Flash staple during the Wally days (and has largely been forgotten since). The Flashes are a family as are the Rogues. That lets you explore a lot of "family" stuff through the contrast; the Flash's supportive, well-adjusted family and the Rogues' dysfunctional one. Zoom is a solo act who will, at most, form short-term alliances.

Eobard's history and origin are also confusing as hell. It starts off pretty solid, with the whole "obsessed fan" thing, but at this point? Zoom's basically doing this because.....he's been doing it so long he can't imagine anything different? He's trapped in his own history? He's blinded by hate? I don't even know! Cold on the other hand, is still a thief because he loves the rush of it. He loves the challenge of putting his skills against a superior foe. Far easier to use Cold in a story than Zoom, who requires 2/3rds of the narrative to just explain how he got to this point in history and where he's at in his own personal timeline.

There's no arguing that Zoom is the Flash's greatest foe. But I dont think it should be that way.
    Last edited by Ascended; 04-16-2019 at 03:17 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I think Zoom takes the title of "archenemy" but personally, I've always found Cold to be the better foe.

If Flash (Barry or Wally or whoever) is supposed to be more of a "blue collar working-man" hero, then Cold (and most of the Rogues) fit nicely into that theme as blue collar criminals. While Zoom (any of them) are psychotic madmen, the Rogues are just normal people trying to get paid. Much more fitting for a Flash's arch rival.

I think Cold is also far more developed as a character, with better, cleaner motivation, than Eobard. I mean, Eobard's whole personality is "I hate Barry so much!" Boring! Cold however, actually has some character to him. He's got a personal code he follows, people he cares for, semi-decent reasons for doing what he does, etc.

I also think the Rogues work better with the "family" theme that became such a Flash staple during the Wally days (and has largely been forgotten since). The Flashes are a family as are the Rogues. That lets you explore a lot of "family" stuff through the contrast; the Flash's supportive, well-adjusted family and the Rogues' dysfunctional one. Zoom is a solo act who will, at most, form short-term alliances.

Eobard's history and origin are also confusing as hell. It starts off pretty solid, with the whole "obsessed fan" thing, but at this point? Zoom's basically doing this because.....he's been doing it so long he can't imagine anything different? He's trapped in his own history? He's blinded by hate? I don't even know! Cold on the other hand, is still a thief because he loves the rush of it. He loves the challenge of putting his skills against a superior foe. Far easier to use Cold in a story than Zoom, who requires 2/3rds of the narrative to just explain how he got to this point in history and where he's at in his own personal timeline.

There's no arguing that Zoom is the Flash's greatest foe. But I dont think it should be that way.
    I think it's those traits that make The Rogues fitting Rogues Galleries for the Flash families, but Reverse-Flash's sheer hatred and obsession with the Flash, as well as his representation of the very antithesis of everything The Flash stands for, feels more fitting for an arch-rival in my opinion.

You tack on the time-travelling rivalry and just how much of a depraved monster Thawne is and you get a true Archenemy in a way I don't think you get with Cold.

I think the basic gist of Thawne is pretty clear...time-travelling criminal with super-speed who hates The Flash, which I think has been pretty consistent to the character.