Default Marvel should adapt vintage storylines for DVD animated films

I'm not sure why it hasn't happened yet. But Marvel should get more proactive in adapting vintage storylines from the 1960s until now for straight to DVD movies. No need to be hung up on continuity from one project to the next. DC/Warner has been doing this for some time.

Lots of stories could be adapted, not just high profile maxi-series like Secret Wars or Secret Invasion. Also storylines that were internal to a particular series like Kree vs Skrull War or the Korvac saga from The Avengers. If Marvel wants to be mindful of its MCU-related branding, they can choose to include storylines from characters like Captain America, Thor, Hulk, etc.

In particular I'd like to see the early Walt Simonson Thor arcs adapted into an animated feature.

Extraordinary Member

They have kinda done this already but haven't been as obvious about it. Wolverine vs Hulk,WW Hulk, Iron Man,etc. I think they incorporated the Phoenix saga into the 90s cartoon.
    Last edited by CliffHanger2; 03-31-2019 at 12:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    They have kinda done this already but haven't been as obvious about it. Wolverine vs Hulk,WW Hulk, Iron Man,etc. I think they incorporated the Phoenix saga into the 90s cartoon.
    Well they did Planet Hulk. I wish they followed up with WW Hulk though. Planet is one my favorite animated Marvel mvoies. Avengers EMH was good about adapting big stories from the comics before the cancelled but they got the adult toons with Hulu coming and the What is with Netflix +. Hopefuly that means they get back into straight to DVD animation. Or just animated stuff for streaming outside the What If and few Hulu shows announced. Animated movies would be good original content for Disney +. But they might not want to smother the service with Marvek stuff. Who knows I'll cross my fingers

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Well they did Planet Hulk. I wish they followed up with WW Hulk though. Planet is one my favorite animated Marvel mvoies. Avengers EMH was good about adapting big stories from the comics before the cancelled but they got the adult toons with Hulu coming and the What is with Netflix +. Hopefuly that means they get back into straight to DVD animation. Or just animated stuff for streaming outside the What If and few Hulu shows announced. Animated movies would be good original content for Disney +. But they might not want to smother the service with Marvek stuff. Who knows I'll cross my fingers
    Yeah Planet Hulk my bad. It was pretty good tho and EMH did take some of those storylines and incorporate them secret invasion was one of them. Disney definitely has to have plans for an animated Marvel brand. It most likely will be streaming over dtd tho.

Can someone explain how Marvel's animated offerings got worse when Disney bought them?
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Marvel adapted the Ultimates for an animated movie and it was horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Can someone explain how Marvel's animated offerings got worse when Disney bought them?
    Well, I think it started with the cancellation of Spectacular and Earth's Mightiest because they wanted more movie alignment and what not. Marvel has been very hit and miss over the years with their animation. They're no WB/DC but they're not as bad as they've been for the last 10 years. It confuses me as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Marvel adapted the Ultimates for an animated movie and it was horrible.
    Yes. Yes it was ...
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Astonishing Member

they won't do it because they are bound to make Carol Danvers (Fetch) happen, but I would love to see
    Captain Marvel (Mar-Vell's) Starlin-Thanos-Cosmic cube epic
    Avengers/Captain Marvel/Thanos original Soul Gem epic
    Simonson's Thor first Beta Ray Bill leading into the Ragnarok epic
    Infinity Guantlet done right would put the marvel movies to shame because it is Avengers vs Thanos, the snap, plus the FF, plus the X-Men, plus Silver Surfer, plus Galactus and the Marvel entities
    Peter David Hulks

Because Disney doesn't want there to be. Disney wants ongoing content for their channels and streaming service, and by that I mean shows only, no direct to videos. Why? I don't know, maybe Disney felt burned after flooding the DTV market with all those Aladdin sequels and such back in the day, but whatever the reason they aren't interested. And then there is the quality of the shows, they don't want fun for the whole family cartoons, but dumbed down shows of low quality. So, yeah, I don't particularly like it, and think there's enough space for brain dead fare and stuff for older fans too, but Disney has made their choice clear.